I'm looking for a small, cheap battery powered mini-amp to use when i'm travelling/not at home.

I've searched and come up with the MS-2 and MS-4 but can't find any other brands. The microcube is too expensive and the Vox amplug is only for use with headphones. Are there any other amps i should be looking into? Any personal opinions on the Marshall microstacks (The reviews weren't too helpful)?

I'd prefer a good distortion to a good clean sound, I play metal and rock, but can get by with an AC/DC gain.

Thanks
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!
Band UG Profile
i've always found the marshalls to be rather good
Quote by Snap017
Why listen to it? That song is for emos, homos, and girls.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
And Def Leppard aren't cool. Hell, rabies and Robert Mugabe are cooler.

Ibanez MTM2
Epiphone G400
Marshall MG15MS
Boss DS-1
Digitech Death Metal
Morley Bad Horsie
I know fender used to make a mini-amp too,, but don't remember any specifics on it. The marshall mini stacks are terrible, and rather unapologetically so. I would recommend getting a decent set of headphones and getting one of the amplugs, because they sound very good for $30 or $40, unless, of course, you were planning on playing with other people with an amp that buckles to your belt.

EDIT: Orange makes a mini crush, too. You could look at that, though I don't remember how much it was.
I got one of the little Marshalls, I think it's pretty rad and the distortion is quite cool too, and the battery lasts ages!! It's well worth the money I think, I use mine all the time
Orange do one

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Quote by rokket2005
I know fender used to make a mini-amp too,, but don't remember any specifics on it. The marshall mini stacks are terrible, and rather unapologetically so. I would recommend getting a decent set of headphones and getting one of the amplugs, because they sound very good for $30 or $40, unless, of course, you were planning on playing with other people with an amp that buckles to your belt.

EDIT: Orange makes a mini crush, too. You could look at that, though I don't remember how much it was.

the fenders sound worse than the marshalls imo. harsher and more fuzzy and thats as if the marshalls werent already. dont expect much out of a mini amp but they are great fun anyways

i have an ms2 which lives in my guitar case so it goes anywhere my guitar goes. vintage looking marshall ms2 ftw
Last edited by no_thing101 at Jul 25, 2008,
Take a look at the Vox AmPlug. It's an amp that plugs straight into the guitar, no leads. Thou you can use headphones. It might be what you're looking for.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
ah ok, the amplug is outta the question, because i want to burst some unsuspecting eardrums :p

I'll check into the Orange and the Fender though, thanks for the help!
My Gear
Line 6 Variax 600
Epiphone G-310
Ibanez RG350EX
81' Ibanez Blazer Bass

Line 6 Spider III 75
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Fender ToneMaster Mini
Boss DD-2 Delay
Boss CE-2 Chorus

My Band
Band MySpace!