When your are writing a vocal melody for a song, what do you personaly do?

Do you write the melody first? do you come up with a chord progression and write a melody to fit it? I would like to hear some of your methods.
chord progression->melody->lyrics
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
i'm not so good on it but i do
what name->lyrics->chords->other stuffs.
MY GEAR
Gibson:SG special faded
Behringer:???
Behringer:V-tone GM108
Laney:TF400
Drums:Trax
Dunlop:Crybaby
One thing you have to know is everyones going to be different.

Personally, Ill write lyrics in bits and pieces than ill come up with a progression on guitar. From there, in my mind ill come up with melody's for parts in the song that could use some more expression. Than when I feel I have a good grip on what I want, I'll try it vocally. It's just something your going to have to try in a sense. There is always more than one melody for any lyrical bit, it's all preference.
Quote by J6strings21fret
One thing you have to know is everyones going to be different.

Personally, Ill write lyrics in bits and pieces than ill come up with a progression on guitar. From there, in my mind ill come up with melody's for parts in the song that could use some more expression. Than when I feel I have a good grip on what I want, I'll try it vocally. It's just something your going to have to try in a sense. There is always more than one melody for any lyrical bit, it's all preference.

Very true. I have noticed when I am writing a song if I just sing over the progresion with the lyrics I have writen, the melody almost works itself out. So I guess my question is, do all of you actualy write a melody, or just sing what ever seems to fit?
Quote by Kozlic
chord progression->melody->lyrics

This.

I should really try different ways though, I just find this by far the easiest.
ill write guitar music. write tons of words,
then play the guitar part, sing some of the words and you'll find a tune that fits, it just kind of clicks together.