I am looking to be a distortion pedal. Currently i am looking at the boss ds2 distortion pedal but have read reviews that say the sound is a bit too crunchy and not smooth enough. I do however like the turbo mode that is on there pedal. Are there any other pedals in a similar price range that are better sounding and have a turbo mode or something similar.

Thanks
epyonz
What style of music do you play?

What amp do you have?

What guitar do you have?

How big is your budget?
Well. I own a Boss DS-1, and it does the job just fine, smooth distortion and it does respond to dynamics, from bluesy to almost metal depending on the amp.
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
I play mainly rock and 80's metal but also some modern metal.
I have a peavey envoy 110 and a epiphone les paul custom
My budget is about £70 (the price of the ds2 is £50)
Why do you want to be a distortion pedal? I used to be a distortion pedal but it's not all it's cracked up to be - being a human being better (less people stomp on you).
You could check out an Ibanez TS-9 or a Pro-Co Rat, they both give great tone control and sound great (though they're more geared to rock than metal). I'm not sure what the prices are in the UK, in the US they run around $90-100 brand new.

edit:
Why do you want to be a distortion pedal? I used to be a distortion pedal but it's not all it's cracked up to be - being a human being better (less people stomp on you).

Good music is good music...everything else can go to hell

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Avatar G212H (1xG12H30 1xAlnico Gold)
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Last edited by apollo66 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by apollo66
You could check out an Ibanez TS-9 or a Pro-Co Rat, they both give great tone control and sound great (though they're more geared to rock than metal). I'm not sure what the prices are in the UK, in the US they run around $90-100 brand new.

edit:

The TS9 is an overdrive
I know, I own one. Your point?

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
I'm just saying, the dude's asking about distortion pedals and I really don't think that it would suit him very well for everything he plays.
That's why I said geared more for rock than metal, he put rock AND metal down, I answered for rock.

Gear:
Gibson LP Studio
TS-9 Screamer
Boss Tu-2
Line6 X2-XDS Plus

The Band
Quote by unininium

That one actually made me laugh irl ..

I own an MT2 MD2 and ML2 (Boss), all are good :P
Rock on..without hesitation
Quote by apollo66

edit:

phail
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
I would look into the Pro-co products they have some awesome gear!!! the rat is obviously one awesome piece of equipment however I am not sure if it will be enough for the metal sound you want. But they actually do have some pedals with more power like the turbo rat or the "you dirty rat".

I also have heard a lot of good things about Electro-harmonix's Metal muff.

Quote by unininium

stop being a ****ing grammar nazi!
If you are leaning towards hard rock, get a Boss DS-1. I've heard nothing bad ever said about it.

For metal, I recommend the Boss ML-2 Metal Core. It can be confusing to pick a metal pedal (especially since Boss also makes the MT-2 Metal Zone) but the ML-2 is my favorite.