Page 1 of 3
i was looking thru guitar center website and saw these. anyone played on one yet?
www.peavey.com/products/vypyr/index.cfm
not my style......but for the guy's looking at the vk's. you might give these a look. guitar center has the vypyr 100 2x12 60 watt listed for $449.00 it says it uses 2 6l6 power tubes.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 25, 2008,
not so much for me either really.

i wish Peavey had not done this actually. We've got enough of this stuff as it is. I'll be waiting for a review from someone on here tho. They have 6 amps from 15 to 120 watts. All Modellers although I guess the 60 wattr and the 120 wattr can be considered Hybrids since they have 1 6L6 power tube.

??

Edit: unfortunately, those last two also remind me of MGs which kinda made me cringe.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 25, 2008,
I bet they will sound like PODS through a tube amp because that is essentially what it will be like for the 60 and 120 watt versions. INterested to see how good the modelling is on these. I think they will be much better than SPiders and be in the same price, so nobody will really have a reason to buy a Spider or MG anymore.
who will be the UG guinea pig someone is going to have to take one for the team.
They are on GC.com

15 wattr is only $99.
120 wattr is $650

here is the link to my Hybrid search.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey,Hybrid-Combo-Amps-Combo-Amps3.gc

The 60 wattr and 120 wattr are listed under Tube Combos search ??
They seem nice, but two things scare me; lower end Peavey tube amps have issues with one thing or another, be it construction, noise, or reliability. I also want some of what they were smoking when they came up with that name
I'm actually more concerned with what seems to be a dwindling Peavey rack at Guitar Center as it is...now this. Meaning they are going to have to put these somewhere.

If this is just a refreshed Transtube then I have little interest. No offense to those that like their Transtubes.

Quote by acdcrocks0323
I think they will be much better than SPiders and be in the same price, so nobody will really have a reason to buy a Spider or MG anymore.

THANK GOD.
the vyper series is actualy our savior disguised as a mass produced hybrid amp.
bow.
My band's one cover is in my profile!

Rig:

Charvel San Dimas Style 2 Pagan Gold
Traynor YCS50
Visual Sound H2O
Morley Bad Horsie
Ibanez TS9
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
this COULD be another MG or it could be another cube for beginners. i'll try em out as soon as they come to my GC
The fact that the distortions (stompbox & amp models) are completely analog, based on enhanced "TransTube" technology, is very exciting. I, for one, am sick of the fizzy digital distortions in the PODs.

Peavey has invested a huge amount of money in the new Vypyr series. According to Hartley Peavey, it is the single biggest R & D project Peavey has ever undertaken.

I am looking forward to the results. I have already pre-ordered a Vypyr 75. Will it replace my main gear (Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and cab)...no. But I was looking for a versatile, portable practice amp, and the new Vypyr fits the bill. Another aspect of the Vypyr amps that I like, is that they use a powerful SHARC processor. It is one of the few "modeling" amps in it's class that allows you to use Delays and Reverbs at the same time.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ha ^ good point.

It does look like it is based on Transtube technology which I personally didn't care for but didn't spend a lot of time with either.

The transtube series are great... they are very underrated and no one around here gives them the credit they deserve!

But unless something is "all-tube" and has a high price tag then it will most likely get overlooked by most of the UG members.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Ha ^ good point.

It does look like it is based on Transtube technology which I personally didn't care for but didn't spend a lot of time with either.

my teacher's main amp is a peavey bandit with transtube tech and i dont know if it is my teacher's playing or the amp itself but it sounds amazing especially at low volumes(he doesn't gig much or play loud much so he doesn't use tube amps).
Wow... I might actually get one of these as a little portable practice amp. $100 for a 15 watt combo? Thats a smokin deal for all the features you get(Effect, models, tuner, 4 channel), as long as it sounds decent I may pick one up.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by Deuterium2H
The fact that the distortions (stompbox & amp models) are completely analog, based on enhanced "TransTube" technology, is very exciting. I, for one, am sick of the fizzy digital distortions in the PODs.

Peavey has invested a huge amount of money in the new Vypyr series. According to Hartley Peavey, it is the single biggest R & D project Peavey has ever undertaken.

I am looking forward to the results. I have already pre-ordered a Vypyr 75. Will it replace my main gear (Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 and cab)...no. But I was looking for a versatile, portable practice amp, and the new Vypyr fits the bill. Another aspect of the Vypyr amps that I like, is that they use a powerful SHARC processor. It is one of the few "modeling" amps in it's class that allows you to use Delays and Reverbs at the same time.

why you get the 75 if your ganna get one might aswell get the 60 watter wich has the tube right.
it would probly be louder and more defined than the 75 watt cause its got a power tube in it.
I wanna try it out and see if this thing gives my valvetronix and cube a run for there money.
im pretty sure it will cause the original transtubes out of all the modelers and hybrids out there felt like the most genuine tube felling without all the tubes.
i have big hopes for this new amp.
Last edited by TheKaiser77 at Jul 26, 2008,
So does anyone know if the amp saves your EQ for each channel?

I would assume it does, but I also wouldn't be surprised if it was a master EQ across all 4 channels.

I actually really want the little 15 watt one now after doing a little research, which i stupid because I have a really nice amp
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪

lulz from the manual

It has a built in looper , thats pretty awesome. I think I'm going to order one.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob

lulz from the manual

It has a built in looper , thats pretty awesome. I think I'm going to order one.

LOL...
[...]
Is that really printed in the manual?
Great, I was about to get the Vox Valvetronix but now I may consider one of these haha. Is the 60W an actual tube amp? If so, the price seems fair and if the reviews turn out great, I'd definitely consider getting it: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-482912-i1413609.gc

Btw, in the manual for the Peavey Vypyr, it says:

"Caution: the on/off switch in this unit does not break both sides of the primary mains. Hazardous energy can be present inside the chassis when the on/off switch is in the off position."

^That message is somewhat disturbing, anyone know what this means ?
My New Gear!
Fender Standard Stratocaster
Peavey Vypyr 30
Last edited by xeodragon at Jul 30, 2008,
Quote by xeodragon
Great, I was about to get the Vox Valvetronix but now I may consider one of these haha. Btw, in the manual for the Peavey Vypyr, it says:

"Caution: the on/off switch in this unit does not break both sides of the primary mains. Hazardous energy can be present inside the chassis when the on/off switch is in the off position."

^That message is somewhat disturbing, anyone know what this means ?

It basically is a fancy way to say unplug and drain the caps before sticking your hand inside. Basically, on an on off switch, you have two contacts. when it's in the off, it disconnects them. One side there is current, on the other there isn't. If it is plugged in, there is current on that other side, likely near the small input transformer, along with the stored energy in the caps.

Easier way to say it is to think about it this way: Behind a light bulb is a switch. When it's off, there is no current going to the bulb, but behind the bulb it's still hot.
Ah I see, but I can't help but think that it sounds like a dangerous piece of equipment with that message
My New Gear!
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by thefrigginbob
lulz from the manual

Hahahaha you have got to be kidding me.
That asterisk has blatently got to be a disclaimer that drummers are not, in fact
idiots
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Yngwi3
That asterisk has blatently got to be a disclaimer that drummers are not, in fact
idiots

Haha it actually says no drummers were harmed in the making of this manual
My New Gear!
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by Yngwi3
idiots

There a couple other funny lines in the manual too but that one was worth posting

I seriously can't wait for this amp to come out. I have one of the 15 watt ones on pre-order. It's shaping up to be a decent little modeler. One thing that is irritating is they kind of corner you into spending more.
You have to get the 30 watt one if you want footswitch effects, 5 effects at once and the looper(which also needs an $80 footswitch)

It's alright though, I just want this for my office so I don't have to leave the room when I want to take a break from work. I also need to buy something for a beach house I'm going to.

I think they picked some nice amps to model and if they are 1/10 as good as the amp it's supposed to model then it's $100 well spent, if it sucks I'll send it back.

I have high hopes for this thing.

Heres another video I found:
http://www.gearwire.com/media/peavey-electronics-viper-amps.wmv

Still nothing with the high gain amps being demoed though.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
There a couple other funny lines in the manual too but that one was worth posting

I seriously can't wait for this amp to come out. I have one of the 15 watt ones on pre-order. It's shaping up to be a decent little modeler. One thing that is irritating is they kind of corner you into spending more.
You have to get the 30 watt one if you want footswitch effects, 5 effects at once and the looper(which also needs an $80 footswitch)

It's alright though, I just want this for my office so I don't have to leave the room when I want to take a break from work. I also need to buy something for a beach house I'm going to.

I think they picked some nice amps to model and if they are 1/10 as good as the amp it's supposed to model then it's $100 well spent, if it sucks I'll send it back.

I have high hopes for this thing.

Heres another video I found:
http://www.gearwire.com/media/peavey-electronics-viper-amps.wmv

Still nothing with the high gain amps being demoed though.

nice find!
My New Gear!
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by CJRocker
It basically is a fancy way to say unplug and drain the caps before sticking your hand inside. Basically, on an on off switch, you have two contacts. when it's in the off, it disconnects them. One side there is current, on the other there isn't. If it is plugged in, there is current on that other side, likely near the small input transformer, along with the stored energy in the caps.

Easier way to say it is to think about it this way: Behind a light bulb is a switch. When it's off, there is no current going to the bulb, but behind the bulb it's still hot.

Hmmm, even after your message the caution message still troubles me . I mean, is it safe to use (i.e. none of the hazardous energy will be "dissipated" out of the amp)? Like I know they wouldn't allow such things to happen but like I don't see this caution in other amp manuals unless I'm missing it.
My New Gear!
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by xeodragon
Hmmm, even after your message the caution message still troubles me . I mean, is it safe to use (i.e. none of the hazardous energy will be "dissipated" out of the amp)? Like I know they wouldn't allow such things to happen but like I don't see this caution in other amp manuals unless I'm missing it.

As long as you don't go screwing around inside the amp without know what you are doing it is perfectly safe. Thats the same for any amp.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I sent Peavey an Email about the release date(even though other have tried but didn't have very good luck)

"The Vypyr amps will start shipping to our dealers mid to late August.

Thanks
Jenny Duffee
Domestic Sales
866-787-5150 ext 1447
domesticsales@peavey.com"

In case anyone else was curious. Seems like they should be hitting shelves in a few weeks.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
I sent Peavey an Email about the release date(even though other have tried but didn't have very good luck)

"The Vypyr amps will start shipping to our dealers mid to late August.

Thanks
Jenny Duffee
Domestic Sales
866-787-5150 ext 1447
domesticsales@peavey.com"

In case anyone else was curious. Seems like they should be hitting shelves in a few weeks.

Grrr waiting is the worst part!
My New Gear!
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by xeodragon
Ah I see, but I can't help but think that it sounds like a dangerous piece of equipment with that message

that happens with almost every amp

When your replacing tubes, caps or other assorted electrical parts within your box, this is required.
I guess i just don't hear 'Hazardous Energy' very often. Electricity maybe or Un Plug amp to avoid shock maybe yeah

i hope it makes Peavey a lot of money but i've got a modeller and a valveking and need a classic but not a 5150 so much as a 5150-3 combo in my dreams lol

huh?
Hopefully with the Vypyrs, no one will buy MG's or Spiders anymore.
Looks like they will be good amps for the price.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
So are these things classified as hybrid amps then, considering there are no preamp tubes? Just the 6L6 power tubes.
Quote by Ekim423
So are these things classified as hybrid amps then, considering there are no preamp tubes? Just the 6L6 power tubes.

The 60watt and 120watt models are hybrid, with a tube power amp. All the others are considered solid state modelers I believe.. .This nice thing about them is the analog circuitry in the preamp.
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
Quote by thefrigginbob
The 60watt and 120watt models are hybrid, with a tube power amp. All the others are considered solid state modelers I believe.. .This nice thing about them is the analog circuitry in the preamp.

yeah i read about the analog signals...very nice
anyone confirm if these are actually in store yet?
My New Gear!
Peavey Vypyr 30
Page 1 of 3