Page 1 of 2
I have just ordered guitar parts for my custom guitar I am building. but I have a few questions.

Parts I have.
1 x Gotoh HB-Classic-B Humbucker Bridge Pickup - Black
1 x Gotoh TL-Classic-N Tele® Style Neck Pickup - Chrome
4 x Les Paul® Style Speed Knob Black
1 x Gotoh JCB-4CK Les Paul® Jack Plate Black
2 x Endpin - Black with screw
2 x Beldon High Quality Single Electric Guitar Wire - Per Metre
2 x Ceramic Capacitor 0.05 mf
1 x Switchcraft 1/4" Stereo Jack
1 x Gotoh 3-Way Les-Paul® Style Toggle Switch
4 x Gotoh Standard Pot - 500 k ohm
1 x Gotoh GE-103BTCK Electric Guitar Bridge Black
An old stratocaster neck a friend of mine gave me. 22 frets.
Copper shielding as well.

Now here is were it gets tricky, I a perfect sized piece of mfd wood that wood fit the job, I can route it and paint it (same wood they use for squire and epiphone not ply wood) I just want to know...

1st what angle do I put the bridge on? in most photos the bridge looks to be on an angle, tell me if im wrong.

2nd I know the neck is on a 3.5 degree angle but now I am using a bolt on strat neck is it still the same?

3rd how far from the bridge do I make the neck? as I addressed earlier its a 22 fret stratocaster neck.

sincerely Zane Stuchbery
Measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, then double that distance to get the scale length (ie. the distance from the nut to the bridge). It'll mostly likely be 24.75" or 25.5".

If the bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, you can put it at an angle, to allow for better intonation on the bass strings. I can't remember what the angle is though, but you're right.

The neck angle depends on the guitar. 3.5º should be okay for a Tune-O-Matic bridge, but you may need to recess the bridge slightly.

And, for the love of Jesus, do NOT use MDF. Your guitar will sound like **** - you might as well order something from IKEA, then put pickups on that.
Quote by -MintSauce-
Measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, then double that distance to get the scale length (ie. the distance from the nut to the bridge). It'll mostly likely be 24.75" or 25.5".

If the bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, you can put it at an angle, to allow for better intonation on the bass strings. I can't remember what the angle is though, but you're right.

The neck angle depends on the guitar. 3.5º should be okay for a Tune-O-Matic bridge, but you may need to recess the bridge slightly.

And, for the love of Jesus, do NOT use MDF. Your guitar will sound like **** - you might as well order something from IKEA, then put pickups on that.

I totally agree with this. use Alder, swamp ash, mahogany, or basswood. NOT mdf or plywood.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by zstuchalot
Now here is were it gets tricky, I a perfect sized piece of mfd wood that wood fit the job, I can route it and paint it (same wood they use for squire and epiphone not ply wood) I just want to know...

im quite sure epiphone would never touch mdf maybe really low quality squires might,

im not much help on this but mint sauce s advice is always good

and post picks of the project
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
he seems a bit hard to get on to, I will try in the morning because its 20 to 2 right now a bit late... dont you think? but how can I get a cheap wood? that will still sound nice
Quote by rancidryan
im quite sure epiphone would never touch mdf maybe really low quality squires might,

im not much help on this but mint sauce s advice is always good

and post picks of the project

Nah, low quality squiers are usually mystery plywood. Bullets are basswood though, so that's quite good.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
AHAHAHA look at the mistakes I have made...
I a (here is one) perfect sized piece of mfd wood that wood (here is one) fit the job.
Quote by zstuchalot
Dose any one know were I can get wood in nsw?

Just look in the yellow pages for lumber yards, I went to bunnings and they told me about this place in artarmon where I got some tassie oak, can't remember the name of the place though and yea ask perry but personally I think the wood from his website is grossly overpriced but ask mint said he probably knows all the wood suppliers in australia
I have a piece of wood sitting in my back yard from one of my bother in laws inventions... its a long plank, I cut it in half and Im going to glue the bits together.. see how it goes its fairly soft like a bass wood you think should I still use it?
Just a random piece of wood from your backyard? most probably not a good idea, unless you know the species, but meh, you could always give it a try. Stewmac and LMI have body blanks for around $100 and its about $50 shipping from the states, that might be a bit steep but the blanks from stewmac are machined and ready to shape/cutout. There are also stores like Australian luthier supplies, gilet guitars and guitar aust which sell body blanks in australia, cutting down on those shipping fees.

Perry's prices are a bit steep but he can glue, and machine up blanks for you, give advice etc. assuming you dont have the tools to do this yourself. If so, try a lumber yard, the wood will be so much cheaper but you'll have to cut/glue/thickness/plane it, unless they can do that for you.

What design are you thinking of? iceman/lp sounds out there, id love to see it.
-Home brew tele
-Fender American Strat
-Fender mim Jazz
-Partocaster Strat
In progress: -Soloist build
-Vintage bass refinish

-vox 847 wah
-Blackstar distortion

+Vox AD30VT

"when I die, there won't be a funeral, but a jam session"
Ok so my brother in law said it was a bass wood, I have access to a cnc (or what ever its called) machine I can glue and clamp it thats no problem, so I am set.
one more question I will lacquer it because its a bass wood and its to soft not to be so my brother in law can do polyurethane and 2 pac finishes (its his trade) is that similar or good enough or even better to do the job?
WTF is MDF ?!

(Sorry first time I have heard of it)

I can't help with the laquer to polyurethane argument though.
I am still trying to figure out if Aspen would be a bad choice for guitar wood.

And can somebody tell me what the 3.5 neck angle is? or the bridge angle?
I need to know before I screw up the guitar I am building!
Quote by Ratchet27
WTF is MDF ?!

its like wood dust just glued together i think into blocks lol
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Quote by rancidryan
its like wood dust just glued together i think into blocks lol

There was a farmer who had a dog, BINGO...

Yeah, its just dust and other small particles glued into sheets. It is also had a fair amount of pressure applied to it to keep make sure it is dense. The stuff is also rather heavy. The pieces are smaller then in particle board.

I do believe that there was early models of guitar made of this, for some reason I am thinking one of the U2 gutiars, but I can't remember.
Quote by Ratchet27
WTF is MDF ?!

if you use tunomatic (like a les paul or a v or a sg for example) you need to put the neck on an angle around 3.5 degrees down. if you using trem just leave the neck pocket flat!
Im wondering what a half les paul half iceman guitar would look like.
Have any pics of what the body will look like?
bump... bump... I drew the design on wood, probably going to get it cut this week and route it on the week end.
Quote by zstuchalot
my profile pic is what it looks like its the drawing I did

Just saw it, It looks awesome, but for the top left corner of the guitar, I would round it like a normal Les Paul.
upload pictures on http://imageshack.us

copy the bottom most link and paste it here with image tags

(Invalid img)

also that design looks sweet
Quote by TDS
You know what would be awsome? A phone that doubled as a fleshlight that recharged power through kinetic motion.

"hold on guys my phone's dying."
*fap*
"Ok we're good."
Quote by pinback
upload pictures on http://imageshack.us

copy the bottom most link and paste it here with image tags

(Invalid img)

also that design looks sweet

+1
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
here is the body (btw its made out of pine) and i undercoated it so I could get it through customs, cause they wont let you take raw wood.

bridge

pickups and electronics

thats a nice idea for a body shape good luck

oh and don't bump ur threadz
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
yay I got zee router today waiting for it to come in, oh and this is just an accuse to bump with out getting in trouble
howkay... I have just resontly moved to a magical place called discovery bay and in this magical place right near were I live they sell big bits of timber teak wood I believe at least 30-40 years old from the old ships, what do you think scrap the old traditional maple top and go for a teak one?
yes
Quote by Deliriumbassist
thats one vote, and thats more than enough for me, but I still want some more opinions
oh and just so every one knows the body is a nice looking piece of pine with one knot only one most pine has about 1,000,000 knots pet square inch so I was very lucky and it only cost me 20 aus $ to get so I saved a lot, and it looks like a very nice grain.
^

Stop.

Bumping.

And.

Triple.

Posting.

Period.

It looks better than a dean cadillac IMO...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Page 1 of 2