hey guys ive been looking into buying this amp, but im just curious as to what people think of it, who own it. It says it's two channels are very similar to the plexi, and the JCM 800, is this true? i'm looking for a Clapton sound from his bluesbreaker, and cream era would this amp be suitable for these tones?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
No the clean/crunch options on the clean channel are similar to a plexi/JCM-800 the dirty channel gets into 900 and beyond mode. However I think it gets a little muddy when a TON of gain is on.

ps. Yes to the Clapton thing. I get an awesome cream sound out of my DSL-50.
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
Look away from this amp, as it will not suit your styles. It is very modern voiced, and doesn't sound vintage at all, as in Plexi -like sounds. Whilst OD1 can give an alright crunch for classic rock, you'd be better off spending your money on something like a Laney VC-30 or an Orange Tiny Terror, which are more "vintage British voiced".
If your lookin for the bluesbreaker tone, then go for a bluesbreaker. but seeing how expensive those marshall reissues are, you can look for people that build clones of vintage amps. check out some websites. I would think that an 18 watt would be a really good start to the tone that you're looking for. I'm pretty sure that the dsl and tsl series are more of a modern tone, anyways.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
^ Maybe he should contact Gabel, seeing as he is wanting to get rid of his 18-watter.
Last edited by AdamDK at Jul 25, 2008,
or take a little bit of time out of your life to learn how to build your own amp. Cause that would be fun! They have all kinds of kits and stuff on the internet for all different kinds of amps. check out this website for starters. www.weberspeakers.com
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Oh also, what is your budget? I'm not aware of the price of DSL401's in Canada, but that would be a guideline.
Quote by AdamDK
Look away from this amp, as it will not suit your styles. It is very modern voiced, and doesn't sound vintage at all, as in Plexi -like sounds. Whilst OD1 can give an alright crunch for classic rock, you'd be better off spending your money on something like a Laney VC-30 or an Orange Tiny Terror, which are more "vintage British voiced".

What? Are you kidding? The crunch setting is as British as fish n chips. It sounds great!
Gear:
1980 Gibson SG Standard Cherry Red
Ibanez TM-71 Talman Artcore Semi-Hollow
2003 Tom Delonge Fender Strat Seafoam Green
Traynor YCV40
I don't think so, or at least I haven't found any good settings for it. It can do classic rock pretty well, but there is better competitors. Seriously, for the price of a JCM2000, he could get a used JCM800 or something.
Quote by AdamDK
Oh also, what is your budget? I'm not aware of the price of DSL401's in Canada, but that would be a guideline.

right now my budget is around $1300 or so, and so far the prices of DSL401's in Canada are around $1179, although i havent checked long & mcquade's prices as they usually have much better prices. and also a full jcm 800 half stack isnt really appropriate for me right now, as i really dont need that much power for playing at home :P so im looking at combo's instead lol.

what if i was to buy the DSL401 and replace some of the tubes with KT66's? just like the bluesbreaker amp but with out the crazy price tag of getting the real thing :P
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Before you go and spend $100 on a quad of KT66 valves keep in mind there is no gurantee that the DSL401 can use KT66, and I'm almost positive you will not be able to fit KT66 valves into that chassis. (idk if you've ever seen a KT66 before but they're huge).

In the end, that will not change the fact that the DSL401 is simply not voiced like a bluesbreaker. The most distinguishing qualities of the JTM45/bluesbreaker circuit is the output transformer, KT66 valves, and tube rectifier. If the JTM45 tone is what you're looking for, get a JTM45 clone. Take a look at Ceriatone's JTM45 clone, it is far superior to Marshall's bluesbreaker reissue. Its around $700 USD, and pick up a 2x12 from avatar cabinets, and you have a much better setup. A DSL401 at lower gain settings sounds like a poor man's plexi if that's what you're going for. Imo, the DSL heads sound much better...
Last edited by al112987 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Led Head
what if i was to buy the DSL401 and replace some of the tubes with KT66's? just like the bluesbreaker amp but with out the crazy price tag of getting the real thing :P

The DSL401 uses EL84's which draw relatively low amounts of current and use 9 pin sockets. The KT66 draws tons of current (comparatively) and uses an 8 pin socket. That said, even if you could fit the tubes in there (which you can't) they would destroy the transformers, gangland execution style.

The EL84 thing is also (in my opinion) why the amp has a reputation for muddiness at higher gain levels. I had one several years ago and couldn't get an overdrive tone that I considered suitable.

I also very much consider the DSL401 to be overpriced for what you're getting. There are more versatile amps for less money and (in my opinion) much better sounding amps for less money.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
ok so i looked around into some replica Bluesbreaker amps, and i came across one from Ceriatone, their JTM-45 "Bluesbreaker" combo amp for about $1200 i think after its all said and done with shipping and all that. i've heard a few sound samples of it but the people demonstrating the amps weren't playing the right genre of music lol :P so i was just wondering what you guys thought of this amp is it a good replica? is it good for that Bluesbreaker tone, and early Cream tone?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall DSL40C
anyone?
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- Marshall DSL40C