I read a book a long time ago about this group of extremists who had a goal to blow up the vatican using an antimatter bomb.

after i read the book, the concept of an antimatter bomb intrigued me so i researched it. I found out that a long time ago, antimatter was actually created. 1 trillionth of a gram, but it was still created, and handled properly.

antimatter in itself is the same as matter except the electrons in antimatter carry a positive charge, whereas the protons carry a negative charge. it was written in the article i read that for every matter particle in our universe, there is an antimatter particle somewhere... does this mean that there is an anti-world somewhere that consists entirely of antimatter particles? what would happen if we came in contact with it?

discuss, dear pit.

EDIT: The book is Angels and Demons by Dan Brown
Epiphone: Les paul Custom SB
Line Six Spider III 15
70$ wal-mart brand acoustic

Quote by black amendment
You're awesome, dude.
Last edited by tsoyguitar at Jul 25, 2008,
angels and demons = good book. much better movie-adaptable than da vinci code.

anyway,

ah nevermind I'm gonna go have breakfast.
Quote by Oligarchy
SGRocker0791 and Raijin.xiii are ass holes in case anyone was wondering.

Quote by jimmyjimjim
try not to be such a dick

Quote by jdotp
thanks to the ignorant prick
it doesn't necessarily mean theres an 'anti-world'

by the way what was the book?
Sig space available, give me some praise
Well it could be true, but would they be opposite of us, like walking on their arms instead o something?

Or would it be just another planet with people that are different but their composition is different?

Or maybe the other anti-matter isnt in the form of a planet maybe its dust floating through space

Made by 'The Sloganizer' ----> «The Pit - be prepared.»

Quote by imdeth

"Billy eat your broccolli!"

"Screw you mom!" *raises arms*

PHEAR MA TURRETS!!
Last edited by Snuffles at Jul 25, 2008,
You think way too much.
░░▓▓▓▓▓░░░░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
▓▓▓▓▓░░░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓░░
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓
▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░ It's a-me, Mario!
░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░

Check out my
Tumblr
Or follow me on Twitter
personally, i think if we contacted an anti-world.. we would all get AIDS... maybe
Quote by wonderflap
You had to put a penis option.......

The results are now nulled due to this being the pit.... The home of penis watch wearers.

Quote by TheChaz
Rust in peace invented food
he sure is one legit dude
don't let it get to your head

ಠ_ಠ
I think the book you read was by Dan Brown. Can't remember the name because I've never read it myself, but I think it's Angels & Demons.

Anyways, about the article you read about every matter particle in our universe, there is an antimatter particle, I don't really think its true. I mean it could be, sure, but how did the author of the article now this? I think he was just making his own theory, and it doesn't mean its true. And if we came into contact with it, well I don't know what would happen, but my guess is it wouldn't be good.
anti-matter allows pair production and annihilation, this is regular physics tht happens on earth

given that it exists on earth, what would be the point in an anti-world, it would be the same
does this have anything to do with the type of matter they're trying to produce by atom smashing? i was watching a show on the large hadron collider and they were able to make the simplest unit of matter (or something) for like a thousandth of a billionth of a billionth of a second

could be totally unrelated, but interesting

edit: yeah i guess im just talking about regular matter...
▲I had a friend once
►He took some acid
▼Now he thinks he's a fire engine
Quote by pucci6d6
I think the book you read was by Dan Brown. Can't remember the name because I've never read it myself, but I think it's Angels & Demons.

Anyways, about the article you read about every matter particle in our universe, there is an antimatter particle, I don't really think its true. I mean it could be, sure, but how did the author of the article now this? I think he was just making his own theory, and it doesn't mean its true. And if we came into contact with it, well I don't know what would happen, but my guess is it wouldn't be good.

If there wasn't then this entire region of spacetime, that we call the universe, would have folded in on itself.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
Well, it sounds like science fiction to me. But then again, "horseless carriages" were also science fiction back in the day, and artificial light and everything. So maybe today it kinda sounds like crazy talk, but it might become common knowledge in the future.

I agree with pucci6d6, that the author was probably just making his own theory. It would be pretty interesting, but I believe that it would be impossible to make contact with the anti-world if such a thing exists.
Peavey HP Signature EXP (SH4 JB/ SH2 Jazz)
Jackson DK2M
Fender MIM Stratocaster HSS
Fender MiM Telecaster

EVH 5150 III w/ EVH 2x12 cab
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60
Fender Blues Jr.

Boss ME-50; NS-2; RV-5; BF-3
MXR M101 Phase 90
there would not be an antimatter world, but there would be the same amount of antimatter that there is matter in our earth. oh ya and if matter and antimatter come into contact with each other, KA-BOOM!!!
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
Quote by sysdown27
does this have anything to do with the type of matter they're trying to produce by atom smashing? i was watching a show on the large hadron collider and they were able to make the simplest unit of matter (or something) for like a thousandth of a billionth of a billionth of a second

could be totally unrelated, but interesting

edit: yeah i guess im just talking about regular matter...

Yeah that's regular matter, the Higgs Boson.
"Loathe metaphors. Pander to undereducated masses. Get doctorate, have a real conversation" Mordin Solus
but what would happen if we came in contact with an anti world?
and how would it happen?
i read that physical contact between an anti matter particle and a matter particle would be almost 1000x as destructive as a nuclear explosion, but i still don't know why.
Epiphone: Les paul Custom SB
Line Six Spider III 15
70$ wal-mart brand acoustic

Quote by black amendment
You're awesome, dude.
Lol, particle physics gives me a hadron.
1996 Fender American Telecaster
Schecter Omen 6
VOX AC-15
Alvarez PF2005
1985 PROCO RAT II
BOSS DS-1, DD3, SD-1, TU-3, NS-2
Danelectro Overdrive
Jimi Hendrix Wah
EHX LPB-1
MXR Supercomp
It's weird that you bring this up, because I was just thinking about anti-matter earlier.

Seriously, seeing this on the front page after I was thinking about it is beyond weird.
im more of a fan of anti-pizza anyway
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky
Crate XT120R
(broken) Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah

lolzords
Quote by tsoyguitar
but what would happen if we came in contact with an anti world?
and how would it happen?
i read that physical contact between an anti matter particle and a matter particle would be almost 1000x as destructive as a nuclear explosion, but i still don't know why.

Since matter in it's purest subatomic form is pretty much energy, undoing the particle would give you a ****load of it.
So is anyone (scientists) actually studying this? If it's so explosive and such it could be a great source of electricity, yes?
dear god whats with all the physics threads today? geez.
anywho antimatter particles destruct whenever they come into contact with normal particles, ie us. so if there was an "antimatter universe" or whatever we would never be able to come into contact with it, because it would destruct (or so i believe correct me if im wrong). but there isn't.
I refuse to put anything that masturbates my ego in my sig.