im sure i read a formula but at the time i didnt understand it, but i understand what makes a beat stronger than another now.

thanks in advance.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
as in, the strong beats - i think 6/8 is 1 2 3 2 2 3

Quote by metallicafan616
as in, the strong beats - i think 6/8 is 1 2 3 2 2 3

ok, like that...

well, you can't really speak about formulas, mostly it's just counting

2/4 = 1 2 1 2 1 2
3/4 = 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
4/4 = 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4
6/8 = 1 2 3 4 5 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
5/4 = not really an emphasis
i thought the first beat was always a strong beat?

^ I believe you're wrong.

I would do;

2/4 = 121212
3/4 = same as yours
4/4 = 12341234
5/4 = ermmm, 1234512345
6/8 = 1231

However, there's no real hard and fast rule. You could stress the 2's and 4's in 4/4 for an offbeat sound.
Call me Batman.
Quote by J.A.M
^ I believe you're wrong.

I would do;

2/4 = 121212
3/4 = same as yours
4/4 = 12341234
5/4 = ermmm, 1234512345
6/8 = 1231

However, there's no real hard and fast rule. You could stress the 2's and 4's in 4/4 for an offbeat sound.

I wouldn't do strong beat on first count in 2/4. I always imagine how it would be if the snaredrum played on the first count. Snare on a first is often ugly, except in 3/4.
You're right with 4/4, the first beat is strong, but here again: snare on first sucks.

Like you said, there's no defined rule. It's personal preference. I posted mine.
It is? Never considered that. I know nothing about drumming, so you could be right. But I was just thinking of 2/4 being half the number of beats of 4/4, thus making the first beat stressed.
I also thought it was a rule that usually the first beat in each bar is stressed.
Call me Batman.
It depends on the kind of music. Quite often in 4/4 the 1 and 3 beats are stronger, but in boogie rock it is quite commonly the 2 and 4 beats that are stronger.

Really the hard and fast rule is that the stronger beats are the stressed ones, which is just circular reasoning (aka the stronger beats are the stronger ones).
Quote by J.A.M
It is? Never considered that. I know nothing about drumming, so you could be right. But I was just thinking of 2/4 being half the number of beats of 4/4, thus making the first beat stressed.
I also thought it was a rule that usually the first beat in each bar is stressed.

Well, that's just my way of thinking in strong beats.

Here , listen to the first 5 snare drum beats before listening to the 6th.

The 6th is on first count and sounds hideous
Quote by Matheau
It depends on the kind of music. Quite often in 4/4 the 1 and 3 beats are stronger, but in boogie rock it is quite commonly the 2 and 4 beats that are stronger.

Really the hard and fast rule is that the stronger beats are the stressed ones, which is just circular reasoning (aka the stronger beats are the stronger ones).

That doesn't take the fact that they are strong beats....
If the weak ones are stressed, it is just an irregular rhythm most of the times (like irregular syncopation or countertime).
Although I don't know if "stressed" is the correct term, since it would only mean a change in intensity or sorts and not related to strong beats, etc...
Reggae has chords played on the 2nd and 4th beat, but it still seems like the 1st beat is strong. otherwise you wouldn't be able to tell at all.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I thought the chords in reggae were generally on the offbeat. On the &s in 1&2&3&4&. At least they are in every reggae song I know of.
i think there's more of an opinion for the beat but not a formula. Depends on the genre and your creativity/writing ability. A lot of people stick to a basic beat or similarly, a "16th note grid" for solos. But feel free to push the limits and see what you can come up with. some off beat things wont work, but when they do work, it'll sound sick and all your own

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
Quote by werty22
I thought the chords in reggae were generally on the offbeat. On the &s in 1&2&3&4&. At least they are in every reggae song I know of.

They may seem that way, but the drums will tell you otherwise, because the "one drop" drum rhythm hits the snare and bass drum on the third beat, and they usually have a 16th note swing. You might hear that and think it's an eigth note swing and get confused. But also some ska and rocksteady music does it your way.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Quote by deHufter
I wouldn't do strong beat on first count in 2/4. I always imagine how it would be if the snaredrum played on the first count. Snare on a first is often ugly, except in 3/4.
You're right with 4/4, the first beat is strong, but here again: snare on first sucks.

Like you said, there's no defined rule. It's personal preference. I posted mine.

WRONG... snare sounds kickass on first... however.. the first is a strong beat (take bassdrum for example if snare sounds ugly) ;D
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )