So, I was looking for a new guitar, and at my local guitar store there is this very sexy Ibanez, that looks a lot like a Gibson SG. I plugged it in for a bit, and it sounds great.... but it's not on the Ibanez website! I am not sure of the correct model, but it is about $700 Canadian. I cannot find a guitar like it on the web.

Anybody have any experience with this type of guitar, and know what I am talking about? Are they any good?

Thanks.
Is it new or does it look vintage? 'Cuz Ibanez did once make copies of the SG.

Also, you say 'looks a lot like' - how much alike? A copy, or just a vaguely similar shape?
sounds like one of the old ones that they used to make in the 80's / 90's that had a built-in roland synthesizer unit. Did it have tons of switches?

I think that guitar was called an Ibanez-Roland GR
It's brand new. It appears to be a new model, because there are a few out there.

I'm still searching for pics/vids of it, but it's not exactly a SG body....but very similar.
ohhh, that might be the ibanez AR.. google it and see if thats the one
Quote by p2fyre
sounds like one of the old ones that they used to make in the 80's / 90's that had a built-in roland synthesizer unit. Did it have tons of switches?

I think that guitar was called an Ibanez-Roland GR

That was a Les Paul body, though.

It's not an Ibanez Artist, is it?
yeah almost all of the GR's were les paul's. But there were 2 models that were SG's. Something like GR398 or GR401

I know a collector who owns 3 or 4 of them
It may be used, but I dont think it is. There are two or three of them, and they are in MINT condition. They look brand new, I played one, I'm almost positive it's brand new. Also, the store I went to dosn't carry used guitars. Im not saying its not used, but I'm almost 100% sure it's brand new.

Oh btw, heres a vid of something very similar to it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the one in the vid is an Ibanez as well. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA
Quote by biohazardist
It may be used, but I dont think it is. There are two or three of them, and they are in MINT condition. They look brand new, I played one, I'm almost positive it's brand new. Also, the store I went to dosn't carry used guitars. Im not saying its not used, but I'm almost 100% sure it's brand new.

Oh btw, heres a vid of something very similar to it. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the one in the vid is an Ibanez as well. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=dKXlgISd3iA

Hmm... where do you live? That does look like an Ibanez copy of the Gibson SG Custom, but I'm pretty sure those ceased production.
Quote by p2fyre
yeah almost all of the GR's were les paul's. But there were 2 models that were SG's. Something like GR398 or GR401

I know a collector who owns 3 or 4 of them

Damn. I'm jealous. Someday I want t become a collector of vintage Ibanez guitars.
Quote by marktuazon
yea Ibanez made a few copies of Les Pauls and SG. lawsuit models. but that was like in the 70's. do you have any pictures?

does it looks like this?
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1003/1424369659_2b2bf4dd8b.jpg?v=0

It looks alot like that, only those two black things beneath the volume and tone controls arn't there, the bridge thingy is different, and the pickups are all gold.

I live in Canada, to answer whoever asked that question.

I guess I'll have to go to the store and take a pic of the thing, and post it here.
Quote by biohazardist
Yup. Not sure if that cool symbol on the top of the guitar is there or not though.

Just a theory: suppose a collector had a few of these, and sold them to the shop. That could explain why there's more than one, and why they're in good condition. Do you remember if the headstock is the same shape as that, or like a Gibson's? That might give us an idea of when it's from, because I'm pretty sure your guitar is vintage.
Last edited by Flying Couch at Jul 25, 2008,
Hmmmmm I forget what the headstock was like. I'll check out the guitars again this weekend, and either post pics or post exactly what it is like. Im almost 100% sure this thing isn't vintage, but anyway....

Also, if it is vintage is it worth the $700? Also, will it be good for blues/classic rock? I'm assuming it will be like a Gibson SG, but I'm not sure.
Quote by biohazardist
Also, if it is vintage is it worth the $700? Also, will it be good for blues/classic rock? I'm assuming it will be like a Gibson SG, but I'm not sure.

Definitely. If it is what I think it is, it's a very nice axe.