Okay, I know you guys are really getting sick of these fret buzz problems, but mine is weird. I just bought an Epiphone PR-150 and its pretty good, except i ONLY have fret buzz on the low E string on the 8th fret, and buzz on the A string also on the 8th fret. everything else is fine. Any ideas on how to fix this??
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

Check the fret at that spot and see if it's high or uneven. use a metal ruler or something straight to check it with. The fret may not have been seated right.
I agree with SGslinger....sounds like that fret is low.....If you bought it new from a music store, take it back and inform them of the problem. Most stores would be more than happy to correct the problem..
if its only the 8th fret, one possibility is that the 8th or 9th frets iaren't seated properly, so the 9th fret is slightly higher than it should be under the e and a strings, or the 8th is slightly lower..
If you just bought it, try taking it back and asking for a free or at least discounted fix..
Last edited by james4 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by MopMaster
No. The problem is blatantly just one fret. SGslinger wins.

i said IF it doesnt work .. because most likely it is a fret problem .. who are you anyways .. the advice police ?
take it easy man .. its just a thread
truss rod is a bad idea. it's not meant for solving buzzing problems. it's meant for bowing problems only.

as for the fret buzz... your Epiphone is a cheap guitar. I'm not sure it's worth bringing into a store to get it checked. If they want anything more than $30 to fix the buzz then just forget it. the guitar is only worth about $120 anyway. there's no point in paying 1/4 of the price of the guitar just to fix one fret.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Truss rod is often a fix for string buzz problems. A neck should not be 'straight'. There should be a slight bow in the neck [professionally know as neck 'relief']. Look down the neck and a bit of bow should be there. Too little neck relief [straight neck] will cause buzz, depending on how you play. A hard plectrum player needs more neck relief than say a finger-picker. Too little relief can be fixed by backing off the truss rod a little, too much neck relief can be fixed by tightening the truss rod a little. It's not a big deal that requires a guitar repairer. You won't wreak anything.

Having said that, there can be other reasons for string buzz too [uneven frets are a common problem].
Quote by MopMaster
No. The problem is blatantly just one fret. SGslinger wins.

lol on so many counts.
Quote by Akabilk
Truss rod is often a fix for string buzz problems. A neck should not be 'straight'. There should be a slight bow in the neck [professionally know as neck 'relief']. Look down the neck and a bit of bow should be there. Too little neck relief [straight neck] will cause buzz, depending on how you play. A hard plectrum player needs more neck relief than say a finger-picker. Too little relief can be fixed by backing off the truss rod a little, too much neck relief can be fixed by tightening the truss rod a little. It's not a big deal that requires a guitar repairer. You won't wreak anything.

Having said that, there can be other reasons for string buzz too [uneven frets are a common problem].

haha, in which case, it is indeed a bowing or relief problem that's causing a buzzing problem.
Equipment:

captivate,

Mate, I have been building and repairing guitars for over 30yrs. You obviously know Jack about guitar problems and are an ignorant idiot full of yourself. Go ahead and test your knowledge about anything to do with guitars or repairs moron. We all need a good laugh Jackass.
Last edited by Akabilk at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by Akabilk
captivate,

Mate, I have been building and repairing guitars for over 30yrs. You know Jack and are an ignorant idiot full of yourself.

Okay bud. Can't take any humour at all? No need to be so insulting. I don't believe I've said anything offensive to you in any way, shape, or form, and don't appreciate your condescending tone.

I obviously do know more than jack(as many regular members around this forums can attest to), and am not an ignorant idiot full of myself. If I really were such an idiot and full of myself, as you seem to think, then the mods would have kicked me out long ago since I would be the uncouth, self-absorbed, uninformed, and ignorant hooligan that you seem to make me out to be.

Anyway, I like to think that I can post my opinions(even if I'm just joking a bit) freely on this forum, as can you. So if you want to keep bashing me then go on ahead.

God bless you sir, I think you'll need it having been as rude as you have been to me. And good day to you.

EDIT: Listen, if you'd like to call people derogative and rude things, then please go to the pit. I don't want to start a useless argument with you for no good reason at all.
Equipment:

Last edited by captivate at Jul 26, 2008,
OK point taken and sorry for my hard attack. I'm not trying to put you down but be very wary of tying to do that to me as I've been around too long . I do really like to help anyone who is keen to learn a few tricks.

Make sure you know what your talking about if you want to challenge anything I put up as I never put up crap info.
Basically I only came across this forum by mistake. I only put up comments [especially re repairs etc.] because basically the blind were leading the blind and I wanted to help. I think I should piss off and leave you all to it. Your obviously all very young, way out of my age group and know a hell of a lot more than me. No use me thinking otherwise as it's a generation thing and believe me or not, once apon a time, I've been there too.
Last edited by Akabilk at Jul 26, 2008,