Ok, so i have two EMGs the 89 and 85 that i am going to put in my SG. I have been told that i will probably have to get new pots. I am also positive i won't be able to do this myself and i definitely want to get a professional to do it, but is this going to be like a complete overhaul? Replacing both pickups, wiring and volume pots, anything else i am missing

My "friend" recently bought ONE emg and mixed it with a passive, and he said it took like half an hour and only cost like 25 bucks to do, which doesn't make sense because i know you CAN mix them but it takes extra work. basically am i looking at paying a ton for this? or not so much?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Last edited by pmeg568c at Jul 25, 2008,
It shouldn't cost very much, no. It cost me 40 euro to replace pickups, re-wire, file down frets and top nut, install a string tree, re-string it and other minor cosmetics. My brother had build the guitar and I wanted it to be perfect so I got a professional to do it, instead of myself. If he charges more than 70 dollars, I'd ask him why and make sure he has a good reason.
is it anymore because they are active pickups though?
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Installing EMGs can be much easier than installing passives imo. Everyone is able to do it, it's not hard at all.

Yes, you will need new electronics (pots, quick connect, battery connector). Usually they're supplied with the EMGs, but I'm guessing you bought secondhand or something?

Also, I'm assuming you're putting the 85 in the bridge? Have you tried this before? I did it in my SG, switching the 81 and 85 around and didn't like the results too much, WAY too much bass for the guitar. In something like a Strat I think it would sound good, but Mahogony Body + EMG 85 bridge just doesn't do it for me.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
actually i'm putting the 85 in the neck and 89 in the bridge. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the bassyness of the wood in the SG, which is half the reason i'm doing that. other half is my favorite guitartist uses the 89 in the bridge, and the 85 is a rhythm pickup...
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
sorry for the double post but i would like to add another question. Is it worth getting my guitar "set up" along with all this stuff? I play in D standard and sometimes drop C, would it be a good idea?
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Its up to you really. System of a Down use Drop C tuning with an SG and he doesn't really have any serious problems with tuning, intonation, neck warping, etc. There sturdy guitars and the only thing I would suggest is 0.11s or 0.12 string gauges to replace whatever you have on at the moment.
yea i have 9's right now hahah. i was thinking only going up to 10 tho. maybe 11
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
I would strongly reconmend it. 0.9's are just not strong enough. It could damage your neck if you don't. Not drastically, but its not worth the risk. Its not like you feel the extra pressure anyway, the strings are looser with the tuning so it just feels like a set of 9's or 10's on a standard tuning.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
I would strongly reconmend it. 0.9's are just not strong enough. It could damage your neck if you don't. Not drastically, but its not worth the risk. Its not like you feel the extra pressure anyway, the strings are looser with the tuning so it just feels like a set of 9's or 10's on a standard tuning.

9s aren't strong enough and it could damage your neck? Only in Paranoiaville.
If your going to c standard then your gonna want heavier strings. I use ddarrio .11s with the wound 3rd for c#. And putting electronics in a guitar is pretty simple if you can follow directions and know which end of a soldering iron is the hot one. You can learn now or pay others to do it for you forever.
bump

i bought some 11s and put them on and definitely noticed a better tone, not much but it def made a difference.

i don't have a soldering iron. Daddys junky music wants to charge me $75 and take a week to do it, no thanks. should i look for a local shop? i don't want to **** anything up i would feel better having a professional do it
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by AngryGoldfish
Well in Paranoiville they must have very sloppy strings and even sloppier tone.

Tony Iommi has sloppy tone? Obviously he must as he used .08s in D and .09s in C. Gauge is up to the user, but it will have no negative affects on the neck. Personally, I prefer lighter gauge strings, particularly down in D as it makes a bit easier to keep a light touch.
Ah I was only having a laugh really. Jimmy Page was also an advocate of light gauge strings and he often used alternate tunings that required, sometimes, radical movement in the strings; he had a nice tone. I was just saying that its very hard to find a nice tone when you have been used to heavy strings. Its what your used to that counts; - like you mentioned - If you have found a way of creating sonic depths from light guages, then cudos to you, I can't.
I found softer strings don't allow me to be precise enough in my alternate picking and my bends. I didn't seem to have the same quality of control. You can accomplish big bends with 0'9's a lot easier than 0'10s and higher though.
The 89 is just an 85 with coil-tapping abilities.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
actually it has a different tone, and i need the coil tapping abilities
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob
Quote by pmeg568c
actually it has a different tone, and i need the coil tapping abilities

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Guitar&categoryid=6&catalogid=6

Then why not the 81TW? 81's are good with mahogany.

EDIT: there's a reason why the 2008 Schecter Hellraisers have the 81/85 set instead of the 81TW/89 set.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
already bought both of them...

this local place wants to charge me 90 bucks plus another 60 because they said i would have to get it "set up" after.

geez. maybe i will find a way to do this myself. i don't want to **** it up and mess with the tone and stuff though
Quote by shakin'cakes

Quote by Highway60Bob