Ok I ordered one of these wee amps, and after I made my order I started thinking about other uses, other than as a tiny combo, that I could use this amp for.

Firstly, If I used it in a chain with my pedals, could I employ it as a fuzz box? Secondly, could I use it to record guitar, by taking a line out of the headphone jack instead of just DIing my guitar, as I do at the moment?
first question, probably not. Well, you might (dont see how to connect it), but it would sound like ****.

second, it'll most likely just muddy your sound.

If you want a fuzz, and a recording amp for cheap, look into a Cube.
Yeah. I made the purchase just because I fancied the look of the thing, but then I started to think about practical applications. Those mini marshalls have been out a while, but I haven't traced anyone who has done anything with those.
Quote by Meddled
Yeah. I made the purchase just because I fancied the look of the thing, but then I started to think about practical applications. Those mini marshalls have been out a while, but I haven't traced anyone who has done anything with those.

first off, odnt buy something just because it looks cool.

and as far as practical applications, THERE ARENT ANY!!!!

Its a ****ing POCKET AMP, thats all theyre used for. anything else and it doesnt work, no matter WHO you are.

If you post another thread about this (or any other oddity), I will hunt you down and destroy your prized pocket amp.,

UG needs to get rid of these ****-tards

UGH!!!!
Quote by neptune1988
first off, odnt buy something just because it looks cool.

Hey hey, I'm a mailman. I get payed each week, and I can spend that money on whatever the **** I like.

Quote by neptune1988
and as far as practical applications, THERE ARENT ANY!!!!

Yup, in the real sense, but I enjoy trying out different things regarding tone production and music making. Never rule anything out.

Its a ****ing POCKET AMP, thats all theyre used for. anything else and it doesnt work, no matter WHO you are.

Quote by neptune1988
If you post another thread about this (or any other oddity), I will hunt you down and destroy your prized pocket amp.,

UG needs to get rid of these ****-tards

UGH!!!!

I'm a bastard for asking this question? Isn't this what this forum is for? I think it is. Either this forum is too busy collectively backslapping to bother answering questions on things other than the most anally-retentional audiophile questions about which woods to use for a 4x12 cab or something, or you yourself are some jaded, tired cynical musician who hasn't made it anywhere in life and instead flames anybody on the forum who hasn't been here atleast 5 years.
LOL dude apparantly he hit one of your nerves you are the one freaking out...
Quote by shakin'cakes
First of all, I enjoy deathcore for it's complexity and it's the only genre heavy enough for me

Quote by Highway60Bob
I want an amp good for playing hippie tunes. I want it to be an actual amp, not a tube amp.
Nope, you are a very derivative forum poster. People like you probably think that between 4chan and encyclopediadramatica you are the funniest people alive.
Quote by pmeg568c
LOL dude apparantly he hit one of your nerves you are the one freaking out...

Well, he is a mailman..... LOL
Quote by neptune1988

Its just a temporary summertime job. And I have to deal with awkward customers every day, so you could see why I am a little bit annoyed that my work seems to follow me onto this thread.
Quote by Meddled
Nope, you are a very derivative forum poster. People like you probably think that between 4chan and encyclopediadramatica you are the funniest people alive.

What, are you gonna go all postal on me? LOL
Quote by neptune1988

You're an asshat
Call me Trey.
dude chill out. he was asking a question and thats what the forum is for. dont call him a "****ing retard" for not knowing if this amp could be used in the way he wanted.

what a good forum poster would do is answer his question without calling him stupid or being so harsh.

To neptune btw

Quote by neptune1988

just stop. you started this fight out of nowhere. i would chill if you dont want to get two warnings, one from this thread and then another one for posting it in a new thread.
Last edited by Epiphany521 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by neptune1988

Returned to sender. One of those mis-shapen, badly made packets with the address incomplete and badly handwritten.
Leave off him. He was asking a simple question, no need to be such a twat.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by neptune1988

If I were you I'd just stfu. Grow up.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
No idea. I work for the Royal Mail in Scotland, and I cannot say I have witnessed any crazyness so to speak. There is a lot of friction between the managment and the actual postmen which can lead to the occasional shouting match etc...
Quote by Meddled
Ok I ordered one of these wee amps, and after I made my order I started thinking about other uses, other than as a tiny combo, that I could use this amp for.

Firstly, If I used it in a chain with my pedals, could I employ it as a fuzz box? Secondly, could I use it to record guitar, by taking a line out of the headphone jack instead of just DIing my guitar, as I do at the moment?

First off, don't even bother with some kid who thinks he knows everything about guitar gear & amps. There's a few kids on UG that REALLY know their sh!t, but they won't flame you for asking questions.
There're a number of smaller amps available that have a preamp-out jack & can be used in your signal chain like a fuzz box, as you say. I've played around w/ a '96 Fender Princeton 112+ like that, & it actually sounds pretty good through an EL34-loaded amp set to clean. Stunning sustain, & even sounds pretty good at gig volume, but it's just not as responsive/touch sensitive as I like. It's fun to play around with combinations like that, because as you said, you never know what you might discover.

EDIT: To actually answer your question, I wouldn't bother trying to convert a pocket amp for this purpose. You can do better for the effort involved.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Last edited by riffhog at Jul 25, 2008,
I never thought for a minute it would be close to a valve sound, I knew it would be fuzzy. I read that the smokey microamp could be used in this way, and that a lot of recording artists did just that. Thanks for the slightly more rational answer!
Quote by Meddled
I never thought for a minute it would be close to a valve sound, I knew it would be fuzzy. I read that the smokey microamp could be used in this way, and that a lot of recording artists did just that. Thanks for the slightly more rational answer!

I know only a couple REAL pro musicians, but one of them uses a little Sansamp preamp to record albums. I cracked up when he told me that. It's just this little preamp box that goes direct to board, & he adds reverb/echo. Sounds absolutely chock full of tone. His name is Neil Zaza. Check out clips from Melodica, all recorded w/ the little Sansamp box.
He endorses Diezel now, so the latest stuff will likely be done w/ those.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Meddled

You could actually try any of that. Hell, if I were you, I'd give a go and see what it sounds like.

Experimentation and being Resourceful is always good..

When I was in college and broke as hell, all I had was an acoustic and a tape deck.

I used to rig a broken set of headphones into the mic jack of the tape deck and put the left headphone in the soundhole of my acoustic and record using it as a mic. Then I'd switch tapes, hit dub and record from one tape to the other while playing along to ad another layer..

As stupid as this sounds, it worked really well as it was all I had.

I guess the point of my babbling is that you can do anything you want with your gear as long as it's conducive to your musical evolution and idea development..

good luck and let us know how it works recording direct with it..
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Last edited by Reildeal at Jul 25, 2008,
The thing works as a headphone amp, and as a recording preamp. I can also plug the second output of my Marshall echohead into it, and put the first output of the echohead into a big amp, and use the small amp for feedback duties!