I have a Peavey Valveking 112, and I love it. Lately, I've noticed that it makes a hissing sound when I play certain notes. I have no idea why it would do this, but according to my friend, he's very sure it's the tubes. How can I be for sure it's the tubes and if it is, how much would it cost to replace em?

Thanks

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

It's the "when I play certain notes" part that has me stumped. Does it always do it on those notes or just sometimes?
Edit: Replacement tubes aren't that expensive. Tubedepot.com and Dougs would be worth a search.
It's always on those specific notes. I have no idea why, maybe it's just the way the string vibrates on those notes? I have no idea.

Okay, I'll give those a search.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Something may have come loose, and is now vibrating in sympathy with the note you are playing. I've had this with a few amps.
Best thing to do is play your guitar thru a different amp and see what happens.

I suppose it is possible that it is the speaker depending on what this sound really sounds like in which case maybe an EQ pedal would work and would be good to have anyway.

can you make a clip of the sound?

^and yes certain frequencies can make things rattle.
Something may have come loose, and is now vibrating in sympathy with the note you are playing. I've had this with a few amps.

I've already checked the tubes and such, they're not loose. There is a large bar type thing on the bottom, no idea what it is. It's loose....but I cant tighten it.

Best thing to do is play your guitar thru a different amp and see what happens.

I suppose it is possible that it is the speaker depending on what this sound really sounds like in which case maybe an EQ pedal would work and would be good to have anyway.

can you make a clip of the sound?

^and yes certain frequencies can make things rattle.

I probably should get an EQ pedal, off topic, about how much would that run me?

Sadly, my only means of recording was recently chewed through by my kitten. So I cant at the moment.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Dont mean to bump or anything, but would playing my amp damage it?

I was just wondering if the hissing was a big enough deal to worry about?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
I've already checked the tubes and such, they're not loose. There is a large bar type thing on the bottom, no idea what it is. It's loose....but I cant tighten it.

I probably should get an EQ pedal, off topic, about how much would that run me?

Sadly, my only means of recording was recently chewed through by my kitten. So I cant at the moment.

Boss ge-7 100 or MXR 10 band 120... or ebay i got my ge-7 for 42 bucks.... so u say it "hisses" or do u hear like something is rattling? Is it against the wall? (can cause things to ratttle). Do u have any effects on that can cause hissing? usually tube amps hiss so i wouldn't worry much. If its still new and under warranty take it to get it checked out.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Quote by TOILETHERO
Boss ge-7 100 or MXR 10 band 120... or ebay i got my ge-7 for 42 bucks.... so u say it "hisses" or do u hear like something is rattling? Is it against the wall? (can cause things to ratttle). Do u have any effects on that can cause hissing? usually tube amps hiss so i wouldn't worry much. If its still new and under warranty take it to get it checked out.

It's a kind of rattling sound, it makes a sound like that of a snake if I sustain the note, but it's more of an irritation. It's not against a wall or anything, it's in front of my bookshelf, but that's all. I dont use effects, so that cant be the problem. They do? Hm....well, I'll wait a week, if it progresses further I'll take it in.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

I played other amps at GC and i heard some rattling kind of sounds and i asked the sales guy and he told me that its just a design flaw, he told me that ur lucky if a combo amp doesn't rattle. He played a fender hot rod deluxe and i heard some rattle. If u made sure everything was in correctly (ie tubes) then its nothing u can do. I know it gets annoying but after awhile ur ears will ignore it.

Edit: but if u think its something else by all means take it to get it looked at and let us know what it was. OH don't tighten down the reverb tank, its long greyish tray right under the speaker.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
Last edited by TOILETHERO at Jul 26, 2008,
Yeah, that long bar thing you mentioned along the bottom is probably your reverb tank. You said it was loose. Can you tighten it? Do you use Reverb? Have you tried setting the Reverb to '0'? You can also unplug the reverb tank and see if that makes a difference.

Just throwing stuff out there to help you narrow it down. Here's a pick of tank I used in another thread somewhere.
Attachments:
Reverb pan.jpg
Yup, that's the one.

I dont really use reverb unless I'm playing clean, which isnt quite often, so I'll try unplugging it, see what happens.

Thank you for your help guys, I'll bump this thread if I decide to take it in

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

For what it's worth, your sig is killing me.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Yeah, that long bar thing you mentioned along the bottom is probably your reverb tank. You said it was loose. Can you tighten it? Do you use Reverb? Have you tried setting the Reverb to '0'? You can also unplug the reverb tank and see if that makes a difference.

Just throwing stuff out there to help you narrow it down. Here's a pick of tank I used in another thread somewhere.

I was told thats its supposed to be loose? Not screwed all the way in. Am i wrong?
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
What colour are the tubes glowing?
Quote by drunkinkoala
Yes, I would masturbate a horse.

Quote by MH400
hahahahaha

You win the internet.

Epically.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
Got a chuckle out of me.
Quote by TNfootballfan62
For what it's worth, your sig is killing me. :p

Thanks!

Quote by SweetsForLife
What colour are the tubes glowing?

They're glowing orangish higher up, and blue towards the bottom.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

^You're a gentleman and a scholar.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...