So I've been perusing guitargeek.com and have noticed that a few artists will plug one amp into another. What's the reason for this?
Quote by Ghold125
or is it a pre-amp/power amp

No. I know what he's talking about. Its a Master/Slave setup... its rarely done though.
If you add a line out to an amp then you can crank 1 amp and get great power tube distortion which is much warmer than preamp distortion and you can do it at any volume. Basically they are using 1 amp as a preamp and the other as a power amp. It works best when you run a tube amp into a solid state.
Not taking any online orders.
nah, its a pre-amp.

or its an A/B switch or something similar, with an amp on clean and the other for overdrive.
If you have a couple Fenders you can run your guitar into one input and use the 2 input (on the same channel) into 1 of a second amp.

You can also jump channels - run guitar into 1 then run a short cable from 2 into 1 of the second channel.
Quote by ginjaninja
nah, its a pre-amp.

or its an A/B switch or something similar, with an amp on clean and the other for overdrive.

Again, no. Its called a Master/Slave setup. You're basically taking the tone from one amp and pumping into another amp.
Quote by hellocomatose
for those who wanted a link?

http://guitargeek.com/rigview/261/

you can see three mesa boogies, only one line in

Hmm... I don't think what I had described isn't what is going on there. It would be pointless to do it with solid state amps in front.
Not taking any online orders.