I started to assemble a project guitar. Its an aerodyne body. Japanese fender 54 ri tremolo. Special edition fender neck with black headstock and chrome logo( mexican)

The tremolo looks like its spaced too wide and the strings don't run parallel with the edge of the neck like they should. Should i replace the nut or look for a new tremolo. The mounting hole spacing is the same as vintage reissue strats. A mexican trem won't fit
NEVER STOP PLAYING
Quote by Stratoblaster73
Is it a 2 point, or 6 point trem, and can you give me the spacing?

Like 2 1/16" or 2 7/32" or whatever?

Its six point and i believe the tremolo is spaced 2 7/32
NEVER STOP PLAYING
Quote by Timi87
Its six point and i believe the tremolo is spaced 2 7/32

Okay, that's a vintage USA spaced then, just checking..

You could try filling the existing mounting holes and redrilling, but that's the last thing I'd really want to do (I don't trust myself )..

But you may want to consider GFS (GuitarFetish), they have 6 point 2 7/32 trems for low prices, they might do you good.
Last edited by Stratoblaster73 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Stratoblaster73
Okay, that's a vintage USA spaced then, just checking..

You could try filling the existing mounting holes and redrilling, but that's the last thing I'd really want to do (I don't trust myself )..

But you may want to consider GFS (GuitarFetish), they have 6 point 2 7/32 trems for low prices, they might do you good.

I have a 2 7/32 tremolo in it right now. Its not matching with the mexican neck i'm just wondering if i can find a tremolo with the narrow string spacing that will bolt into the body i have which has the wider vintage spaced mounting holes
NEVER STOP PLAYING
Quote by Timi87
I have a 2 7/32 tremolo in it right now. Its not matching with the mexican neck i'm just wondering if i can find a tremolo with the narrow string spacing that will bolt into the body i have which has the wider vintage spaced mounting holes

oh ****, my bad.

Uhm.. if it's mexican neck and everything.. you'll probably need the Mexican Trem with 2 1/16" spacing, so... yeah, a new trem, filling, redrilling..

I personally, don't know of trems with 2 7/32" stud spacing, but 2 1/16" string spacing, Sorry bro
Quote by Stratoblaster73
oh ****, my bad.

Uhm.. if it's mexican neck and everything.. you'll probably need the Mexican Trem with 2 1/16" spacing, so... yeah, a new trem, filling, redrilling..

I personally, don't know of trems with 2 7/32" stud spacing, but 2 1/16" string spacing, Sorry bro

Can i put a new nut on the neck spaced for the vintage trem or is the neck too narrow
NEVER STOP PLAYING
Quote by Timi87
Can i put a new nut on the neck spaced for the vintage trem or is the neck too narrow

I'm not totally sure to be honest, I really don't wanna say something for sure and totally **** you, ya know?

You could probably do it, but honestly, I'd take it into a shop and talk to one of the techs, I do that a lot if I wanna know stuff, they're really helpful.
If the strings are to wide at the tremolo then not much can be done. A wider nut string spacing would probably make the strings to close to the edge of the fretboard. A just plain wider nut would hang out past the edge of the neck. Newer guitars arent made for the old wide fender spacing. The mexico necks have the middle width nut of 1 11/16 the asian squire has the narrower 1 5/8. You might have to break down and get a different wammy. Or convert it ot a hardtail bridge.