There was a used Mesa Stiletto for sale on craigslist. I offered the guy $600 cash and My Dean ML. The guy said yes.

1. Good deal?
2. Does it have enough gain for Lamb Of God, A7X, Children Of Bodom, In Flames etc..

I heard they sound like a Mesa, with a bit of Marshall in.
It should have enough gain... I never really cranked the gain when I tried one. I'm more of a blues guy, so i stuck to the clean channel and the lighter gain... Sorry

But yeah, that sounds like a good deal. It's quite an amazing amp. And if it doesn't get those sounds stock, throw an OD in front of it, and it should definately do it.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Its an amazing sounding amp but my personal opinion its not a modern voiced metal amp..

The one i tested i had the Mesa Rep setup for me, told him i play this and want modern metal tone. And it was way too loose so when he left i started messing with it and couldnt get it tight enough either. The tone was amazing but not for modern metal... Could just be me though... Im known for being off with Mesa's.....

Bit more rock and roll and blues type of of amp to me...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Its an amazing sounding amp but my personal opinion its not a modern voiced metal amp..

The one i tested i had the Mesa Rep setup for me, told him i play this and want modern metal tone. And it was way too loose so when he left i started messing with it and couldnt get it tight enough either. The tone was amazing but not for modern metal... Could just be me though... Im known for being off with Mesa's.....

Bit more rock and roll and blues type of of amp to me...

Couldn't throwing an OD in there tighten things up a bit?

Or am I wrong..... probably wrong
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by FRDesign
Mesas sound typically loose though, Don't they?

The 3 chn. Rectos, yes. I haven't tried it, but I'm assuming it'll be hard to get modern metal tones out of it. Classic metal, maybe.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I liked the metal tones I could get out of the Stiletto, but then I like more Marshally tones as I've already told you.

I didn't really think it was nearly as loose sounding as a Recto when I played it. It has a little sag, yes, but nothing flubby like a Recto, as long as it's EQ'd right.

Again, go try it out!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by stratman_13
Couldn't throwing an OD in there tighten things up a bit?

Or am I wrong..... probably wrong

Not with this one... This thing was loooooooooooooose lol

But you are correct an od can tighten up most amps but usually thats for already tight amps to begin with...
Quote by MatrixClaw
I liked the metal tones I could get out of the Stiletto, but then I like more Marshally tones as I've already told you.

I didn't really think it was nearly as loose sounding as a Recto when I played it. It has a little sag, yes, but nothing flubby like a Recto, as long as it's EQ'd right.

Again, go try it out!

+1

Ya never know until you try it......
Marco Curiel of P.O.D uses one. Not what you're talking about perhaps, but an OD could help a lot.
Its pretty loose yes, but its got a lot of gain. Andy Timmons uses stilletos sometimes, but im not up on my modern metal so i dont no any of those guys that use them
Quote by FRDesign
Hmm, I saw pics of it, and its in like, near perfect shape.

Sounds like a good deal, then. To those saying it doesn't have enough gain for modern metal- I disagree quite a bit, unless you're talking about a ridiculously high- gain, 5150 with the gain on 10 type of metal tone. It's definitely got more gain than my F30, got a good Kill 'em All- era kind of tone with the gain only around halfway.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Sounds like a good deal, then. To those saying it doesn't have enough gain for modern metal- I disagree quite a bit, unless you're talking about a ridiculously high- gain, 5150 with the gain on 10 type of metal tone. It's definitely got more gain than my F30, got a good Kill 'em All- era kind of tone with the gain only around halfway.

No one said it didnt have enough gain, they stated its too loose and the voicing isnt the best for modern metal.. An amp can have twice the amount of gain of a 5150 but if its not usuable gain for the genre of music you play its worthless....
Quote by IbanezPsycho
No one said it didnt have enough gain, they stated its too loose and the voicing isnt the best for modern metal.. An amp can have twice the amount of gain of a 5150 but if its not usuable gain for the genre of music you play its worthless....

Misread your post, my bad.

I still disagree, though. I'd put its lead channel somewhere between a stock JCM800 and the Kerry King Sig JCM800, with a little bit of Mesa flavor thrown in... and with that comes a fair amount of flab, nothing I couldn't fix with EQ- ing.
I'm pretty sure that article on craigslist does not include a cab, so you're gonna have to figure something out with that.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Misread your post, my bad.

I still disagree, though. I'd put its lead channel somewhere between a stock JCM800 and the Kerry King Sig JCM800, with a little bit of Mesa flavor thrown in... and with that comes a fair amount of flab, nothing I couldn't fix with EQ- ing.

Thats intresting... I played both the Mesa and the Kerry King sig on the same trip and thought they sounded nothing alike. The Stiletto sounded pretty much like a normal Mesa you could tell the voicing was a little different more classic rockish but alot more creamier with a ton of gain on tap with a side of your normal loose lowend. Vs the Kerry King was very tightly voiced and had a ton of usuable gain. And in Jcm 800 mode you get classic marhsall tone still pretty tight minus a big gain bump. But the too were totally different in everyway...
Quote by Sendrith
I'm pretty sure that article on craigslist does not include a cab, so you're gonna have to figure something out with that.

I know. I'm gonna make a new thread on it
Man, even if you don't like it, it's not like it's going to lose much value anyway.
The worst that happens is you're down an ML, and up a couple hundered!
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
Man, even if you don't like it, it's not like it's going to lose much value anyway.
The worst that happens is you're down an ML, and up a couple hundered!
I never play my ML anyways lol.
I'd go for it. Worst case scenario you can sell it for like $1000.

With an OD it will have plenty of gain for modern metal. And really...it has as much gain as a recto, it's just a different type of saturation.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'd go for it. Worst case scenario you can sell it for like $1000.

With an OD it will have plenty of gain for modern metal. And really...it has as much gain as a recto, it's just a different type of saturation.

This guy knows his mesa's.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer