Anyone have any idea how about how much it would cost to get a set neck changed? I'm thinking about putting a Les Paul neck onto my Firebird Studio (no, it isn't a neck through) and I was looking to see if anyone has tried anything like this.
yeah, it can be done. It'd be quite time consuming and expensive, especially if you wanna save the neck you remove from your firebird. If you've already got the les paul neck that'll cut the cost loads.

If you do already have a real LP neck and dont end up using it i'll buy it off you
sorta hardcore to change a set neck. would cost a great deal to have it done well
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
not even worth it dude. It would cost a fortune and you risk ruining 2 good guitars.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
It's not hard. You need to remove the fretboard and then loosen the glue.

The only issue you will face is that you're going to have to adjust the neck to the correct angle
and make sure the distances are the same, or else your intonation will be ****ed.

imho, i wouldn't mess with a real gibson, it's be a better idea to buy a good quality neck from ebay or warmoth or smth if you MUST change the firebird neck.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
A LP neck is not going to just drop into a firebird. The tenon on the 2 is completely different. The LP neck joint is at the 17th fret the firebird is at 19th. The firebird neck neck tenon doesnt start to get thick until around the 19th fret the LP at the 15th fret. The guitar and neck would both need some extensive mods for this to work. And this little operation isnt cheap or easy. Figure 500 for a simple swap not including the mods that would be needed. And its not easy or cheap to find unbroken gibson LP necks. Plenty of broken ones tho.
also, gibson scales changed like a million times over the years but were still referred to as 24.75" scale...

what's to say you wont get the wrong year
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology