Hey guys. I'm planning on getting a digital delay for my birthday. I plan on using it to play post-rock, post-metal, as well as some psychedelic stuff. I'm considering the line 6 dl4 and the boss dd20. However, I know there are others that are supposed to be better (Nova delay, time factor). Do these sound much better than the previously mentioned ones, or do they just have more features? Which one would you recommend? Also, I know the boss is not true bypass... but is it really noticeable? Does it suck a lot of tone? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks!
Why do you need such long delay times?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Hey, you relly don't need anything facy, dude. Get a Boss DD-3 or even the Behringer-copy of it (I witnessed a blind test where people preferred the Behringer over the DD-3). Chances are you'll never use the full potential of the bigger, bulkier and more expensive thingies.
Cool, as long as they sound good and are versatile. Would you guys say the DD-3 sounds better than the ones I mentioned?
I know what you mean I'm making my head hurt becuase I don't know what to get as far as delays dd-20 or dl4 or maybe the line 6 echo park with a RC-2 I don't know what to get. I love crazy bands (The Fall of Troy, Mars Volta, mewithoutyou ect.) but I don't know how to get the delay they do.
Don't get the Echo Park, mine was broke when I bought it new. Line 6 has pretty bad quality control on the ToneCore series, or so I've observed.

Get a DD-3, I'm loving it so far.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
for post rock, a DL4 would be ideal, 3 different switchable delays would be a godsend.

I use:

DD3, DD6 and an ibanez ad9, all are great.
The DD-20 is overkill, unless you're one of those guys on the street who overdubs four guitar tracks to solo over for money.

The pros give DD-3/6 the thumbs up.
Actually I was just at the boss website and the new dd-7 looks awesome I think I might go with that as for the dd-3 I have a Me-20 and the delay built into... isn't that pretty close to a dd-3?
if he listens to what i'm thinking he listens to, the DL-4 or DD20 is definately not overkill.
TS, what are your influences?

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
if he listens to what i'm thinking he listens to, the DL-4 or DD20 is definately not overkill.
TS, what are your influences?

im guessing

Mogwai
explosions
65days
russian circles

amirite?
Cool. So I'm still considering the dl4, but for boss i'm thinking it'd be a wiser choice to go with the dd-6. How's the sound compared to the dd-3? I've heard it's not as good, but it is more versatile. How does the boss sound when compared to the line 6? Lastly, I've heard some people say that the difference between these pedals and other ones like a time factor etc is "like heaven and earth." Is this really true? I really care about my tone, so I wouldn't want to end up with something that gives a thousand mediocre sounds. Thanks guys!
Ahhh, yup that would be right. And for post-metal it'd be Isis and Pelican and... well, the genre (if it could be called a genre) is so young that all the well-known ones tend to be influences lol.

Thanks for helping me out guys, I really appreciate it.
Oh and Sigur Ros. I thought there was something strange because I've searched other places and it seems people who are into that kind of music usually use the dd20 or the dl4. Not that I want to be or sound just like them, but it still says something i guess.
Well, Explosions use a DL4 so thats how that sounds

i'd go with the dd6 if you have the wallet-space, its a dd3 with reverse and longer times - very useful.

Oh and i ****ing love pelican!
Cool. The dd-6 looks like a good choice. Do all the "dd"s sound the same? I hear some people say they do and others that they dont. If they are then the dd 7 would be great, but if they're different, I tend to hear the dd7 is not as good, so the dd6 might be like the happy medium between sound and variety...

And yea Pelican pwns!
haha, i knew it.
basically, if you want looping + a whole bunch of stuff/delay, get a big one.
if you just want a good, solid delay, get a small one.
try them all out with as much of your gear as possible, that's how to pick the best.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Yea, that's always the best thing to do. I'll try them all out when I can. Just wanted to have a good idea of what to look for when I play. Thanks guys. Any other suggestions and/or points are still welcome.
I'm also looking for a delay to play post-rocky things, and was looking at the DD-20, but I too would like to hear other's opinions, so have a free bump
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
DD-3 and 6 sound the same. You're just paying for the extra features. DD-6's warp, reverse and hold modes are pretty cool to experiment with.
^ Are the hardwire series even out yet?
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
I think they are... Theres a review of the od, reverb, and delay on the proguitarshop youtube account, and I looked on google shopping and got some results...

The reverb sounded awesome in the video btw
Get a DL-4 and at least one other smaller delay for post-rock. Delays and reverbs are where it all comes from! And Big Muffs

The Artec Analog Delay is a nice little delay for use as a second one alongside a DL-4.