i want something that can connect my guitar to my laptop so I can just practice with headphones. i don't want to record. i stumbled upon these 3 line 6 products but i can't differentiate between the three. i essentially want to plug my guitar into my laptop and then have a POD-like interface that i can manipulate on my computer. is this possible? if so which one of these 3 would i get?
Any of them would work. Both the toneport and the guitarport come with Gearbox. I own a toneport GX and use it for recording and headphone practice. Check out the recordings on my page if you want an idea of what it can do.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
They're used for recording. But gearbox is the program that comes with them, so in actuality, you've only got two products there.

I know there are cheaper ways to do what you're asking, but I don't know how.
If you're not looking to record, use guitarport, it comes with gearbox and it's cheaper.
Quote by mystique facade
i want something that can connect my guitar to my laptop so I can just practice with headphones. i don't want to record. i stumbled upon these 3 line 6 products but i can't differentiate between the three. i essentially want to plug my guitar into my laptop and then have a POD-like interface that i can manipulate on my computer. is this possible? if so which one of these 3 would i get?

Recording questions belong in the R&R form.
You are not looking to record but dealing with recording gear...

The toneports are fair...I suggest the UX1 however if you want better sound, the higher end interfaces have better sounding preamps and you can run Amplitube instead of being forced to install GearBox (which doesnt sound great anyways)

the different units have different inputs...all those line6 products are very similar in terms of hardware.

oh yea these are also 1.1 usb interfaces and so you do get some latency (delay)
and that messes you up quite a bit...
I suggest an EMU 0202 USB2.0 interface and Amplitube instead of GearBox
Last edited by moody07747 at Jul 25, 2008,
yeah Amplitube and Guitar Rig 3 are great. A simple interface and 1 of those is what I'd recommend too - MF has a great sale today on a cheap USB interface that works fine:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid

You can also use basically any Multi-Effects pedal to get into your LINE IN and use Amplitube, GR 3, etc. I use a Korg Toneworks hooked to my Mac's LINE-IN - use a nice CLEAN preset on the Korg and let Amplitube (I have em all AT 2, AT Hendrix, AT Metal, X-Gear, etc.) or GR 3 "do it's thing". Sounds great!

The Jamlab actually comes with some simple Guitar Amp Software too but it's VERY basic.
Now running an Eleven Rack with Pro Tools 10.3.3 - it's amazing and I'm having ball with it - worth every penny. PT 10 is tops IMO and the Eleven Rack is a work of art!
Last edited by strangedogs at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by mystique facade
Thanks for the replies. I should have been more precise. When I was talking about gearbox, i was referring to the gearbox bundle
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-GearBox-PlugIn-Gold-Bundle?sku=706521

So why would anybody buy guitarport when you can get this gearbox bundle for the same price?

Because they're not that bright?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
I would suggest different software.
I tried Gearbox myself and was very let down on any of the distortions...

the cleans were good though.

As I said, the more you spend, the better quality you get
however software will never come as close to real hardware.........