what wah would be the best for morello type midrange sweeps? I Ono he uses an 80s cry baby, but those sound nothing like todays crybabies
Last edited by Swat Man at Jul 25, 2008,
uhm. yeah a idk I use a Slash wah pedal for tom morello stuff. I prefer over my other wahs.
Isn't Tom Morello's wah a messed up one? As in the sweep is all in the midrange?
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by SSL27
Isn't Tom Morello's wah a messed up one? As in the sweep is all in the midrange?

How would u get it to get "messed" up to make all midrange? LOL
Well its definately a crybaby, so get the one that has the Q Dial or something so you can adjust the frequency of the sweep
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!
Couldn't you just get a GCB-95 Crybaby and then mod it so stay in the mid range? Is that possible?
Quote by Swat Man
How would u get it to get "messed" up to make all midrange? LOL

It wouldn't say messed up, but I remember reading somewhere that his wah's sweep was all in the midrange, which is why it's so hard to get his wah tone.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i though he used a 535q
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Quote by shredhead22
i though he used a 535q

No, I'm pretty sure he uses an old GCB-95 that was messed up somewhere along the line, thus making his sweep all in the midrange.
Mitch Hedberg Group

Quote by Irnmaiden4life

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
his wah's in the effects loop, try that.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
it's a crybaby with some messed up circuits. it only sweeps in the midrange. apparently, it's the only one Tom's been able to find that sounds like it, but i guess go get an old crybaby (or a newer one if you wanna save cash), **** with the inside a bit (randomly, preferably), then put it in your effects loop. ^_^
it shows that his way is the only pedal not in his effects loop though
Last edited by Swat Man at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by Swat Man
it shows that his way is the only pedal not in his effects loop though

I've seen Morello's pedalboard from a distance of about 12 inches before (I think I have some pics somewhere, actually). The Wah is most certainly in the effects loop.

I think that his particular wah is a product of old guitar gear quality control. Up until fairly recently, the QC associated with component values was rather lax outside of the most premium equipment, sometimes as much as plus or minus 10 to 15 percent versus the usual plus or minus 1 percent nowadays. This created a lot of tonal differences even in otherwise identical models. The most famous example of this is probably Kerry King's JCM800, but there are certainly others (ask any vintage gear head about 50's Les Paul's and they'll tell you that pretty much no two sound exactly alike).

That said, it's very believable that Morello's Wah is a fortunate accident. Unfortunately it would be almost impossible to duplicate it without taking it apart and measuring all of the components.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Towers/6327/setup.html

It's changed every now and then, but for the CD recordings, and most of the live tours, the wah is in the loop.

If you look at the Tom Morello lessons from last year's guitar world his wah is on his pedal board, going into his other pedals.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra