I hate it when people decide to put up threads posting links - which contain political discussion - and offer no say on the matter. It makes you look very ill-informed and that you're only trying to look intelligent. Mr. Threadstarter, what is your take on the issue?
Personally, I think the West should keep their mouths shut and concentrate on their own hypocritical problems that they have created themselves. China-hating - well, it's a scapegoat to keep people off their own backs. Solve your own problems first before condeming others and get the job done.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jul 25, 2008,
OMG, TS change your avatar before I rape your face.

Otherwise, pretty interesting article, I can imagine something quite terrible happening, as it often happens when undeveloped countries are exploited by colonials. For instance, what if gold were discovered in Africa? Imagine the hell.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by freddaahh
OMG, TS change your avatar before I rape your face.

Otherwise, pretty interesting article, I can imagine something quite terrible happening, as it often happens when undeveloped countries are exploited by colonials. For instance, what if gold were discovered in Africa? Imagine the hell.

No dude, imagine if lots of oil was discovered. That would be hell.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
I could imagine plenty of other countries fighting for colonization rights on Africa. What would happen if the US got involved, and if surrounding countries wanted territory as well?
Quote by Harmonius
I hate it when people decide to put up threads posting links - which is overly political - and offer no say on the matter. It makes you look very ill-informed and that you're only trying to look intelligent.

Yeah I agree with this but on the topic I think that it was inevitable that leaders of African nations with poor human rights records such as Zimbabwe would turn to a nation like China when the West is refusing to help them. I know there is a significant Chinese influence in many nations from Asia to Africa and Latin America.
The countries who have been refused by the West have found assistance in China (and also Russia) but this could be at quite a price if these nations rely too heavily on their benefactors.

Oh, and on the topic of gold in Africa, see diamonds.
Own a PS3?
Add me: ILOVECHICKEN
Quote by KKING911
No dude, imagine if lots of oil was discovered. That would be hell.

Yeah, that would be worse, I was thinking about Blood Diamond and then gold was the first thing in my head. But you're right, oil would be a discovery with sickening consequences there.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
yea man, who ever doesnt like pantera or think they suck doesnt like metal, end of discussion, they changed the freakin world n made history, so don't be sayin they suck, have respect, same goes for machine head n lamb of god cuz their good too
Quote by PastaOfMuppets
Yeah I agree with this but on the topic I think that it was inevitable that leaders of African nations with poor human rights records such as Zimbabwe would turn to a nation like China when the West is refusing to help them. I know there is a significant Chinese influence in many nations from Asia to Africa and Latin America.
The countries who have been refused by the West have found assistance in China (and also Russia) but this could be at quite a price if these nations rely too heavily on their benefactors.

Oh, and on the topic of gold in Africa, see diamonds.

Well, you could say that's the West's fault for not intervening when they had a chance to a long time ago. China is only doing what the West would have done if Beijing didn't get their first (and you know it). No matter what Beijing's real motive is, you can't deny that it's a lot better than what the West can offer at this moment (a string of Sanctions which have negative effect on Zimbabwe's people - I'm glad for Russian and Chinese vetoes).
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Black Wizards
I could imagine plenty of other countries fighting for colonization rights on Africa. What would happen if the US got involved, and if surrounding countries wanted territory as well?

Yeah, well iraq is bad enough and that was a simple removing dictator operation, so i'm guessing the bible code might have been one year off the nuclear holocaust.
wow i never realised the Chinks really were the disgracefull kind of people they are now: utterly consumed with greed without considering the global implications. Thats why i prefer the Japanese> f-ed up minds, make crazy stuff but don't harm anyone
360 Gamertag: NEB Vanguard

Quote by josh15742
you sir are epic in every way imaginable

i literally bursted out laughing

Quote by Kenny77
Hats off to you sir!

Quote by sdmfmofo
wow i never realised the Chinks really were the disgracefull kind of people they are now: utterly consumed with greed without considering the global implications. Thats why i prefer the Japanese> f-ed up minds, make crazy stuff but don't harm anyone

Racist, much? Reported, much? Have you never heard the Rape of Nanking?
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Harmonius

Racist, much? Reported, much? Have you never heard the Rape of Nanking?

Yes i am, not yet, No i havent .
stop sticking up for your disgracefull leaders
360 Gamertag: NEB Vanguard

Quote by josh15742
you sir are epic in every way imaginable

i literally bursted out laughing

Quote by Kenny77
Hats off to you sir!

Quote by sdmfmofo

Haha wow, definatly sounds like you had no prior prejudice to Chinese people before this.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Not sure why the racist quotes from an outdated lunatic eugenicist at the beginning are necessary.

China is trying to expand their resource base to fuel their economy. It makes sense that they are trying to extend their influence to resource rich areas, and that Chinese workers are moving to these areas along with their respective companies (and to support the expatriate communities that they engender).

Exclusive, gated compounds, serving only Chinese food, and where no blacks are allowed, are being built all over the continent. 'African cloths' sold in markets on the continent are now almost always imported, bearing the legend: 'Made in China'.

Sounds like some American oil compounds in the Middle East, as well as the cultural and economic effects of globalization found elsewhere that can be found to have originated in other countries (such as the US and Europe).

Fuelling its own boom at home, China is also desperate for new markets to sell goods. And Africa, with non-existent health and safety rules to protect against shoddy and dangerous goods, is the perfect destination.

How is this different from what Western corporations have been doing?

However, there is a lethal price to pay. There is a sinister aspect to this invasion. Chinese-made war planes roar through the African sky, bombing opponents. Chinese-made assault rifles and grenades are being used to fuel countless murderous civil wars, often over the materials the Chinese are desperate to buy.

Sounds familiar.

US and Soviet Union aren't arming countries to duke it out (during the supposedly 'Cold War') so much anymore, so someone more opportunistic has to step in.

Who is actually trying to stop all the violence again? The UN?

Almost 30 years ago, Britain pulled out of Zimbabwe - as it had done already out of the rest of Africa, in the wake of Harold Macmillan's 'wind of change' speech. Today, Mugabe says: 'We have turned East, where the sun rises, and given our backs to the West, where the sun sets.'

Despite Britain's commendable colonial legacy of a network of roads, railways and schools, the British are now being shunned.

Yes, and the British did absolutely no harm while they were there either.

"Commendable colonial legacy", funny stuff.

According to one veteran diplomat: 'China is easier to do business with because it doesn't care about human rights in Africa - just as it doesn't care about them in its own country. All the Chinese care about is money.'

Same as the West, except during election time, should foreign issues exhibit any salience.

Maybe China should just switch to democracy so they can just be money grubbing bastards only part of the time!

Nowhere is that more true than Sudan. Branded 'Africa's Killing Fields', the massive oil-rich East African state is in the throes of the genocide and slaughter of hundreds of thousands of black, non-Arab peasants in southern Sudan.

In effect, through its supplies of arms and support, China has been accused of underwriting a humanitarian scandal. The atrocities in Sudan have been described by the U.S. as 'the worst human rights crisis in the world today'.

And what have we done to help this?

What have we done to help this, or Congo (whats left), Somalia, Turkmenistan, or any of the other countries, past or present, that have become engulfed in conflicts economic and political policy of the powerful nations has often helped to engender?

The article raises some good points, but is biased as shit. Would never see a similar article lambasting the failures of Western govts. to do anything to counter the multiplicity of problems in Africa, or denouncing their complicity in helping to create them.

Even ignoring the West's numerous past misdeeds, this article doesn't examine the things we are doing now that aren't especially different in motivation and effects than China.

This isn't to defend any aspects of Chinese economic / political policy or the effects it has on parts of the globe, but simply want to point out the bias prevalent in this article.
Last edited by bajeda at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by sdmfmofo
Yes i am, not yet, No i havent .
stop sticking up for your disgracefull leaders

I suggest you read about it before using racial slurs. It's disgusting. Saying that, have you no clue about your country's own background (I'm assuming you're English or American).
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by bajeda

This isn't to defend any aspects of Chinese economic / political policy or the effects it has on parts of the globe, but simply want to point out the bias prevalent in this article.

I was about to just explode at you until I read this.

But seriously, I see now how both the Chinese and The West are doing the same thing in this situation. Before I read this article, I believed that the Chinese would learn from the previous mistakes that the West has made. But I now see that they are doing the same thing.

I wish that the U.N. would do something about this. If we don't do something about this, Humanity is screwed.

Now, I don't just mean Africa. Humanity (in it's entirety) will tear itself apart. Africa is on;y the beginning. Different states will fight with eachother until there is nothing left of Earth.

I think we should eliminate the different states. I know this sounds ambitious and kind of stupid, but I think this is one of the only way out of the hole we've created.

Until there is no discrimination against other people, the only way humanity moves 'forward', is by eating itself.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Last edited by KKING911 at Jul 25, 2008,