My solos generally aren't based around a particular scale. When they are, it's generally either major or minor.

For me it is the major scale, but I love the contrast of switching between major and minor within the same solo for dramatic effect.

You mean, say, C major and C minor? I imagine that would sound incredibly dissonant.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
For blues maybe Minor Pentatonic ( box pattern ), or Blues Scale ( very basic I know, but the work a treat ). But my favourite scales for soloing over are probably the Phrygian and Dorian ( can`t decide ).
My cancer spot is much bigger than yours

Quote by HumBucker666
I get carrot skinned regularly by a electrified carrot skinning device

Quote by GrEgUms1991
I have a small penis if that counts?

^ some pretty awesome sh!t ( click )

Europeans Unite!
Quote by Archeo Avis
My solos generally aren't based around a particular scale. When they are, it's generally either major or minor.

You mean, say, C major and C minor? I imagine that would sound incredibly dissonant.

He might mean C major and A minor, but that would make no difference if you're emphasizing chord changes with your soloing because you're still using the same notes.

EDIT: While it really depends on the progression, I love to play the minor pentatonics and add passing tones from either the natural minor or harmonic minor, depending on the chord at hand (though it's usually a fifth chord anyway, knowing my rhythm guitarist ).
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
I'm a Dorian blues fan myself. But I do love mixing it with the M3 for the Mixo sound!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 26, 2008,
In terms of my favorite scales, Lydian Dominant and Phrygian Dominant. But I rarely use them, unfortunately; most of my music is minor-key or minor-mode based so I largely use natural minor, Phrygian and harmonic minor.
Quote by philipp122
He might mean C major and A minor, but that would make no difference if you're emphasizing chord changes with your soloing because you're still using the same notes.

EDIT: While it really depends on the progression, I love to play the minor pentatonics and add passing tones from either the natural minor or harmonic minor, depending on the chord at hand (though it's usually a fifth chord anyway, knowing my rhythm guitarist ).

I think he means... modulation (I think that's what it's called). I don't know a lot of theory, but I think he's talking about going from major to minor in the middle of a solo... to make it sound more "epic", lulz. Let me think of an example... Uh... the solo in Ad A Dglgmut by BTBAM.
Quote by RedDeath9
I think he means... modulation (I think that's what it's called). I don't know a lot of theory, but I think he's talking about going from major to minor in the middle of a solo... to make it sound more "epic", lulz. Let me think of an example... Uh... the solo in Ad A Dglgmut by BTBAM.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's what he meant. Like in Satch's Always With Me, Always With You, he goes from B major to B minor, and it sounds great.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
I like messing around in E Dorian. I'm a Metallica fan.
G, D, and A Blues and Natural Minor.

Quote by Archeo Avis
C major and minor pentatonic over a C blues or blues-based rock song! You, my friend, are slipping.
I prefer to solo over chords as opposed to scales.
And with regards to scale choice, I'm more inclined to play through changes than pick a scale and pay no regard to the chords underneath.
Glad to be of service
Lydian. For sure.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
And with regards to scale choice, I'm more inclined to play through changes than pick a scale and pay no regard to the chords underneath.
Glad to be of service
Doesnt everyone?

Over dominant chords I like to play superlocrian (more than mixolydian these days), except I'd also use a perfect fifth, major second and major seventh (but only as passing tone between the minor seventh and the root). I might also use a perfect fourth as well, but only if I dont use the tritone in that mode much.

Over minor chords, I'd use a mixture of aeolian, dorian, and phrygian. In some situations I might also use a major seventh (like as a leading tone). I'd also use a diminished fifth over minor chords too, just cause it sounds awesome (IMO).
I wish I could use a major third as well over minor chords, anyone know when it might work?

Over major seventh chords, I'd use lydian, and occasionally ionian.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
oh dude... i like to use all the modes... i just search the tonic note... and use the major or minor scale depending of the chords... then i start using all the modes... the ones i like more are: mixolidian, phrygian, aeolian and locrian... i definitevely love the armonic scale and all its modes.

i dont think sue is a good guitarrist. C major? for the love of god... that is the first scale, the natural scale, minor pentatonic? advanced scales are called exotic scales (asian, oriental scales,...) and melodic ones...
Alessio Maccione

check my shred, neo-classic videos on youtube

My Youtube

Last edited by gabmit at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Really depends on the progression, but I write a lot of music using Harmonic Minor/Major.

Same for me really.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
Same for me really.
i just say that these people is saying that she is a god, a legend that uses the most basic guitar stuff?
Alessio Maccione

My Youtube

Quote by gabmit
i just say that these people is saying that she is a god, a legend that uses the most basic guitar stuff?

What in the HELL are you talking about?

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by valennic
What in the HELL are you talking about?

you are talking about bangoodcharlote?

nah... i think he is a little overrated. my videos in youtube are old that was when i had like a 1 year playing the guitar...

but i can honestly say that the scales i use in them are more difficult than the natural scale... and a simple minor pentatonic.
Alessio Maccione

My Youtube

Quote by gabmit
but i can honestly say that the scales i use in them are more difficult than the natural scale... and a simple minor pentatonic.

You actually can't honestly say that, because no scale is harder to play than any other.
Quote by gabmit

nah... i think he is a little overrated. my videos in youtube are old that was when i had like a 1 year playing the guitar...

No, I wasnt.

I quoted the guy who said depending on which chord progression, he used the Harmonic Minor/Major. I agreed, I do the same.

I was in no way agreeing with you.

Who is overrated? You're being cocky, and annoying really. No one here cares to be perfectly honest, if you think you're good, fine. No one cares though.

You cant honestly say that, because it's not true. One scale is not harder than another.

EDIT: :-D beat me to that last thing, but you get the point.

My things:
Bowes SLx7
Washburn WG587
Washburn X40Pro
Washburn X50
Washburn HM24
Washburn WR150
Laguna LE200s
Arietta Acoustic
First Act
Valveking 112
VHT Deliverance

Quote by gabmit
i dont think sue is a good guitarrist. C major? for the love of god... that is the first scale, the natural scale, minor pentatonic? advanced scales are called exotic scales (asian, oriental scales,...) and melodic ones...

Wow, I didn't even catch this nugget of genius. You don't judge a guitarist's ability based on the scale they use, you just don't; you're throwing out basically every guitarist in history if you don't like either the major or minor pentatonic scales. You're spewing out ridiculous (and frankly stupid) biases, and you have to open your mind a little bit there.

There are no "advanced" scales. For the love of God, get over yourself.
Quote by gabmit

While I respect your opinions, it really isn't nice to go bashing other people's musical and soloing tastes, regardless of their skill level. We really have been trying to make the MT forum an all around nicer place, so please don't go dissing on people you've never even met.

And as a side note, why did you all of a sudden go and defend your own music? No one was saying that your playing sucks....

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
Ibanez JS1000
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Quote by RichieJovie

that's all coming from some mode or scale, unless you write really ****ty music
i prefer dorian or mixolydian, they have a somewhat funky sound that usually comes out in my music. Those intertwined with a blues scale is a great solo for me. I love the harmonic minor/phrygian dominant scales, but i rarely use them
C major and minor pentatonic over a C blues or blues-based rock song! You, my friend, are slipping.

Fair...but I'd be reluctant to describe that as modulation between major and minor. Blues progressions commonly consist of dominant chords, and I'd sooner describe the minor pentatonic's "b3" as a "#9" in that context. It's the harmony that determines the tonality.

that's all coming from some mode or scale, unless you write really ****ty music

That's completely ridiculous, and you missed his point entirely.
Schoenberg would kick you in the testicles.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Jul 27, 2008,