Page 2 of 7
Overrated - Herman Li, Kirk Hammet

Underrated - Scott Ian, Wolf Hoffman & Tony Iommi
Quote by slayer1516
Yes, your right. But the other half he composed.

The other half sucked.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I can't believe so many ppl r saying Slash is overrated... To be honest i used to think so too, until i listened more closely to Guns N Roses stuff... Paradise City, Nightrain, Sweet Child O' Mine, Civil War, Mr. Brownstone, etc. really show off Slash's abilities... He can play really fast but he can also play slower and make it sound amazing...
Slash isn't that great. He's a really good improviser, but I'm not a huge fan of his riffs.

He'd be one of the overrated ones in my book.

I think the guitarists from Blind Guardian are highly underrated. Chuck Schuldiner, too.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
overrated: herman li, slash, kurt cobain
underrated:the iron maiden guitarists and dimebag darrell
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by WARLOCK123
overrated: herman li, slash, kurt cobain
underrated:the iron maiden guitarists and dimebag darrell

You HAVE to be joking.
^ no i aint. in the uk almost no one has heard of dimebag darrell
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Quote by WARLOCK123
^ no i aint. in the uk almost no one has heard of dimebag darrell

damn. Come spend six months in the states and you'll be sick of him.
Over:
Alexi Laiho
Kirk Hammett (even though I'm a huge Metallica Fan)

Under:
Joe Satriani
Andy Mckee
Travis Stever and Claudio Sanchez
James Hetfield (I actually believe he's one of the best rhythm guitarist)
The Guys from Savatage
Joe Pass

So many others. There are so many good guitarists who don't get enough recognition.
Quote by soundgarden19
But wanking penatonic scales in all your solos does.

Why?

Aesthetically speaking, all great artists strive to limit themselves in order to become trully creative. Creativity comes from boundaries.
Overrated- Cobain, Vai (all excellent technique, but no feel), The Edge.
WAY Underrated- Peter Klett of Candlebox
Underrated- Kelly Theyil (Soundgarden), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Zakk Wylde (people talk about him, but Rhoads overshadows him as far as Ozzy's work goes, so he doesn't get the credit he deserves)
Quote by in2thesun88
Overrated- Cobain, Vai (all excellent technique, but no feel), The Edge.
WAY Underrated- Peter Klett of Candlebox
Underrated- Kelly Theyil (Soundgarden), Mike McCready (Pearl Jam), Alex Lifeson (Rush), Zakk Wylde (people talk about him, but Rhoads overshadows him as far as Ozzy's work goes, so he doesn't get the credit he deserves)

Thats Kim Thayil, bud, but thats ok, he is underrated.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Overrated- Jimi Hendrix, theres a lot more i think thats just the biggest example
Underrated- Ron Asheton
Quote by Second Rate
You HAVE to be joking.

Why? Because Darrell was a second-rate guitarist who played to be paid? Because he "kept the solo alive in the 90's" when in fact thousands of bands were playing huge solos in the underground? That Darrell had ridiculously aweful tone, and his solos were samey?

Nope.

Underrated - Sir Nukto Geiismortt

Overrated - Darrell Lance Abbott, Brian Haner Jr..
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
As for Slash, I'm really sick of all the love for the guy. He's pretty good (and puts on a good show), but he wasn't even the better guitarist in GNR. Izzy wrote almost all the stuff, and the band completely sucked without him (The Spaghetti Incident........). He doesn't get anywhere near amount the credit he should get-and that Slash gets.
Overrated - Slash, Eddie Van Halen
Underrated - Richard Lloyd, Marc Ribot, Tad Kubler
My all gold grills give her cold chills
Said she gotta coke feel cuz I'm sooo trill.
John McLaughlin- Listen to the stuff he did with The Mahavishnu Orchestra then listen to My Goal's Beyond. Completely different and incredibly awesome albums with out of this world guitar playing.
Over Rated- Kurt Cobain, John Frucsciate or however u spell it. JIMI HENDRIX, Slash( If it was not for guitar hero 3, there wouldnt be 100's of slash posters when trying to find a pearl jam, or alice in chains poster

Under Rated- JERRY CANTRELL, as a matter of fact alice in chains in general is under rated.
Over rated- Slash, Kurt Cobain, Jimi Hendrix, Synyster Gates, Herman Li.

Under rated- A.J.Minette, Andy Mckee, Luke Hoskin.

Just the first ones to come to mind.
Quote by fob12
Him -"Hey, give me a high five!"
Her -"hahaha why? *high fives*"
Him - "Because I just dumped you for the lulz!"
Her -"... what?"
Him -"*runs away*"

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
killswitch engage has some dissonant riffs, they're kind grindcore tho

Ok i think we should probably be able to agree that Slash is probably the most overrated guitarist because probably every 1 out of 5 doesn't have Slash as overrated.

Anyways. Overrated= Slash (of course) Kurt Cobaine ( You can probably notice that in his songs he never strums off beat)
Underrated=Andy McKee and i think John Mayer is underrated as a guitarist but as a performer i think he's a little overrated.
i dont really think anybody above the age of 13 actually thinks kurt cobaine is a good guitarist, he wrote catchy songs for the radio, omg

also, andy mckee is huge on the interwebs
I think Joe Satriani is underated, because when I talk to one of my friends about Kirk HAmmett or Steve Vai maybe even Larry Lalonde(or however you spell it) and then bring up Joe Satriani, they claim that Steve Vai or Kirk Hammett is better. I think he just does'nt the respect he deserves, its almost like they don't know he taught some of their favorite guitarists. The student will never be better than the teacher.
Pretty much every "guitar hero" is massively overrated, Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Slash et al simply because regadless of how good some of them are, it's simply not humanly possible to be as good as their fanboys think they are.

Underrated? Well, that's hard since pretty much everyone has someone bumming them. Zappa should have been a bona fide legend thouh, he is in some circles, but not on the mainstream level he should be.
Domine Non Es Dignus
Quote by ohhey9040
John McLaughlin- Listen to the stuff he did with The Mahavishnu Orchestra then listen to My Goal's Beyond. Completely different and incredibly awesome albums with out of this world guitar playing.

I find it truly a wonder that he isn't talked about in the same breath as Hendrix or Gilmour, he mastered every genre of music. Period. McLaughlin will always be underrated and that's sad.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by eschaton
Pretty much every "guitar hero" is massively overrated, Hendrix, Page, Clapton, Slash et al simply because regadless of how good some of them are, it's simply not humanly possible to be as good as their fanboys think they are.

Underrated? Well, that's hard since pretty much everyone has someone bumming them. Zappa should have been a bona fide legend thouh, he is in some circles, but not on the mainstream level he should be.

Zappa is mostly revered for his skills with complex arrangements...... he is usually overlooked as a guitar player, which is rather sickening.
Overrated : Herman Li, thanks to Guitar Hero
Underrated : Slash, Ok well maybe not anymore, but I think he's been underrated. Some of what he does is pretty difficult although he makes it seem so easy.
Just reading the last page, I agree that McLaughlin is criminally underrated. Mahavishnu Orchestra has some mindblowing guitar work.

Zappa too.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
First a couple things: props to soundgarden19 for mentioning Dean Deleo and Kim Thayil (although with a name like that I couldn't imagine why he'd mention thayil), and second: what's with all the hate against Slash? Larry Lalonde from Primus is way underated.
Robert Fripp. From understated backing on songs like "Nightwatch" to complex compositions like "Fracture" and his innovative work with Frippertronics or alternate guitar tunings, he doesn't get much credit as a guitarist.

Gotta agree on Zappa and McLaughlin. Zappa was just wacked out, John could have creamed most of the guitar gods of his day. Just listen to "Right Off" from Miles Davis' "A Tribute to Jack Johnson."
This space foreclosed, due to the ailing economy.
Last edited by Free to Guitar at Sep 16, 2008,
Overrated: Slash, Kirk Hammet, and Clapton

Underrated:Mark Knopfler, Alex Lifeson, Billy Corgan, and +1 for Larry Lalonde
Quote by Satchafunkilus
I think Joe Satriani is underated, because when I talk to one of my friends about Kirk HAmmett or Steve Vai maybe even Larry Lalonde(or however you spell it) and then bring up Joe Satriani, they claim that Steve Vai or Kirk Hammett is better. I think he just does'nt the respect he deserves, its almost like they don't know he taught some of their favorite guitarists. The student will never be better than the teacher.

It's worse where I live. I've only met one other person who even knows who Satriani is. That may just be because I live in an area where rap is dominant, but... No, that's still no excuse.
Jack white is the most overrated guitarist ever, he came something ridiculous like 8th or something in Rolling stones top 100 guitarists of all time.

It pisses me off sooooo bad when people say Jimi Hendrix is overrated, usually i would say that matters of opinion are not subject to argument. But what is a FACT is that he revolutionised music, and was an influence to many of the guitarists that went on themselves to become established legends. Hendrix didnt have much of a career, but what he did during the short time was truly ******* magical.

So, not overrated

on the other hand, i think alexi laiho is quite underrated. He never seems to get much recognition, but he's an insane player...