Page 3 of 7
Quote by Admartian
Just because someone (Slash) is well known, does NOT make them overrated.

Overrated: Eddie Van Halen
Underrated: Dean DeLeo

How can you say that Van Halen is overratted? And you defend Slash? Van Halen could play circles around him.. thats like blasphemy to say that.

Overrated: Angus Young, SLASH, Santana, Zach Wylde
Underrated: Tom Morello, Mike Einziger
I love how you all put Slash as your most overrated guitarist. And Tom Morello as underrated.

Let's look through this list of people in Guitar Hero......

Hmmm.... Slash......... oh.....can this be......Tom Morello? He must be overrated, seeing as he was in a game that brought rock n' roll back to a lot of people......man I hate Rage Against the Machine now.

Seriously, all the Slash hate is pitiful. Just because he doesn't try to cram all the notes he can into one measure like OMG YNGWIE MALMSTEEM doesn't mean he's not good. In fact, I'm sure hes capable of doing that. But no, Slash writes songs, not riffs.

And if Slash has a shredding song in his solo album, and delivers an amazing solo album, I'm sure everybody will deny that they ever said Slash was overrated.
my underated list would have to be:
Trey Anastasio from Phish not many better guitarist in a jam than him.
Larry LaLonde and Tim "Herb" Alexander are both pretty solid guitarist who dont get enough credit.
Brendan Bayliss and Jake Cinninger of Umphrey's McGee are just amazing they have it all.
Eddie Hazel of Funkadelic...Maggot Brain...need i say more.
Al Schnier from Moe. is also one of my favorite guitarist who gets no props for his chops.
Last edited by fudger at Sep 21, 2008,
overrated- Yngwie, slash, van halen <br> underrated- nick valensi, matthew bellamy <br> also whats with the hate towards kurt? there is nothing to overrate him about, he wrote his songs and played them, he knew he wasnt the best, nor did he set out to be
Mike Campbell of Petty's Heartbreakers is underrated when great guitarists are being discussed.

JJ Cale is a guitarist that is mentioned as an influence by many top guitarists but could be considered underrated.

The late Eddie Cochran was an underrated guitarist who burnt out too young.
Quote by iamultimate
overrated- Yngwie, slash, van halen <br> underrated- nick valensi, matthew bellamy <br> also whats with the hate towards kurt? there is nothing to overrate him about, he wrote his songs and played them, he knew he wasnt the best, nor did he set out to be

Nothing's wrong with Kurt it's just people overrate him a lot and make him look like he's a god, I love Nirvana they had some of the best songs in their genre, it's just every 10 year old thinks he's god because they think he "got" them.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Quote by Littleangus44
i think slash became overated ever since he was in guitar hero, and i guess most underated good be tony iommi

yeah people are like oh my god i love welcome to the jungle slash is the best, but really he is not the best, there are plenty of better guitarists than that, but still he is one of the best, simply because of his amazing guitar solo in Paradise City and also his crazy licks throughout every song, so yeah people have overrated him because he is in guitar hero because simply he is in guitar hero
Overated - Pretty much all your "guitar heroes", Clapton, Page, Hendrix, Blackmore, Slash etc etc simply because as good as any of them may be, it's completely impossible to be geniunely deserving of the diefied position they are put in by fans.
Domine Non Es Dignus
I agree with you about all them, EXCEPT Blackmore. People know him because of Smoke on the Water, which is a great song and all but it's not reminiscent of his style. I would actually put him in the underrated category, he's an amazing guitarist and people only know him because of Smoke on the Water, but he was so much more than that.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
overrated- prob either santana or slash
underrated- without a doubt one hundred percent jack oshea from bayside. He has extremely catchy riffs and his solos are more than just three, four fret tapping. They're soulful
Underrated=Johnny Marr (The Smiths,) Tom Verlaine/Richard Lloyd (Television)
Overrated=Eddie van Halen
Overrated-Slash - If not for Guitar Hero 3, Not many people would of known of him
Underrated- Santana , Black Magic Woman
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
Quote by JamieUK
Overrated-Slash - If not for Guitar Hero 3, Not many people would of known of him
Underrated- Santana , Black Magic Woman

I wouldn't say people wouldn't know him, cmon he's been a legend for a long time. if people didn't know him, they wouldn't have put him in the game. lol

Overrated: Dan Jacobs, Atreyu. he's good but he's nothing special, doesn't deserve instructional dvd's, a clothing line, or a signature guitar.

Underrated: Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Chris Broderick (Megadeth, Nevermore), Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), Joel Stroetzel (Killswitch Engage)

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Quote by Necrophagist777
I wouldn't say people wouldn't know him, cmon he's been a legend for a long time. if people didn't know him, they wouldn't have put him in the game. lol

Overrated: Dan Jacobs, Atreyu. he's good but he's nothing special, doesn't deserve instructional dvd's, a clothing line, or a signature guitar.

Underrated: Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Chris Broderick (Megadeth, Nevermore), Muhammed Suicmez (Necrophagist), Joel Stroetzel (Killswitch Engage)

Yeah hes known by all the guns and rose's fans from the 1980-90's , but anyone past that time might not have heard him. Guitar Hero 3 gave him a huge popularity boost across the world.

What would you put Kirk Hammett as , Overrated or Underrated?!?!?!
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
Quote by JamieUK
Yeah hes known by all the guns and rose's fans from the 1980-90's , but anyone past that time might not have heard him. Guitar Hero 3 gave him a huge popularity boost across the world.

What would you put Kirk Hammett as , Overrated or Underrated?!?!?!

I knew who slash was before guitar hero, i'm not a huge guns fan and i didnt even play guitar at the time.

As far as Kirk, overrated by non guitarists, just right by the guitar community. He's not bad, he just uses too much wah for his own good.

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
Last edited by Necrophagist777 at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by Necrophagist777
I knew who slash was before guitar hero, i'm not a huge guns fan and i didnt even play guitar at the time.

Overrated by non guitarists, just right by the guitar community. He's not bad, he just uses too much wah for his own good.

Fair enough, All i can think of when someone mentions wah is bulls on parade
Hai To You All

Metallica Ftw?
I'd like to say Eric Clapton is underrated because too many people just know his most famous songs (and even forget the solos). But then again, there are many who say he's the best.

Meh.

Tom Morello is underrated for sure, as is Richie Sambora.
Quote by Markitt
I'd like to say Eric Clapton is underrated because too many people just know his most famous songs (and even forget the solos). But then again, there are many who say he's the best.

Meh.

Tom Morello is underrated for sure, as is Richie Sambora.

I'd say Clapton is Overrated if anything.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

Quote by DanBLON00

Unerrated: Billy Corgan, Thurston Moore, Synyster Gates

WHAT ? SYN ? UNDERRATED ?! He is VERY overrated. Even though hes pretty good, he's overrated. Well in my opinion :S

Overrated : SLASH. I like him cuz I love GNR nd VR but hes pretty overrated for his skill.
HERMAN LI. Sheesh. He's only starting to play his stuff live properly.

Underrated : Tony Iommi. Izzy Stradlin.
Last edited by chaoticfables at Oct 26, 2008,
Overrated: Yngwie Malmsteem, Herman Li, Kurt Cobain, Synyster Gates
Underrated: Derek Trucks, Lowell George, Warren Haynes, Billy Gibbons, Frank Zappa
tumblr twitter instagram
Quote by Rossenrot
Aig91 Atomizes Rossenrot Before Offering Mercy In Exchange For Wholesale Genuflection
OVERRATED; Kirk Hammett, John Mayer, Jerry Garcia, Carlos Santana, and pretty much any/all of the new metal guys.

UNDERRATED; George Harrison, Angus Young, Andy Timmons, Ty Tabor, Michael Schenker, Scott Henderson, & David Gilmour.

And to the guy who said Hendrix, you need to stop sniffing glue!
OVERRATED: TONY IOMMI oh my god he's not even the greatest he was just there before everybody else, but I am a pretty decent fan so don't flame me.

Quote by denizenz

SLASH is soo overated!!
So Is Herman LEE (dragonforce)
SO IS Synyster Gates (avenged sevenfold)
Reasons: Slash is a good guitarist but since guitar hero, Chavs go around saying how much they love hims its sad. The other 2 have no writing ability, just play it as fast as they can : lame.

Underated: Johnny Marr ( The SMiths)
David Gilmor (P floyd (xD))
Johnny Marr is quality
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to
- Jimi Hendrix

Im tired of following my dreams, im going to ask them where their going and hook up with them later
- Mitch Hedberg
Quote by Gris-Gris-Man
super underrated - Jeff Beck

+1 his fusion stuff is amazing.

also Eddie Hazel from Funkadelic is a very underrated guitarist. if you haven't heard of him you need to check out his stuff like now. listen to the song Maggot Brain or Who Says A Funk Band Can't Play Rock?! and thats all the proof you will need.
Quote by moogprodigy
Who do you think are the most underrated and over rated guitarists?

For me, most overrated is Santana, and underated, Steve Hacket

Most UNDERRATED: Uli Jon Roth

Most OVERRATED: Pete Townsend

Michael Lee Firkins is probably the most underrated guitarist in the world. That guy is incredible. Other than him, Larry LaLonde, Ron Jarzombek, and Alex Lifeson are damn underrated I think, mostly because they play with people that get much more attention then they do.
overrated - Michael Angelo Batio, John Petrucci, Slash, Jimmy Page, Herman Li, Zakk Wylde, Randy Rhodes, Dimbag.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Quote by the spiker
Underrated guitarist: Jon Schaffer

Damn straight.
Quote by skankingeasy
I always thought Clapton never lived up to his potential.

ha you're nuts!!!!

Underrated: Jack O'shea (Bayside)....if you don't know his stuff download it. i.e. "THe Walking Wounded" "Choice Hops and Bottled Self-Esteem" "A Call To Arms"
Most underrated - Jeff Beck
Last.fm