Page 4 of 7
I know I already posted in this Thread but....

Eddie Hazel, underrated

I just listened to the maggot brain album for the first time and my jaw dropped when it was over
Quote by sneyob
Saw extended blue dick,
clicked X.

Sorry,
force of habit

Quote by Bmm386

There is only one solution. We need to bomb outer space. That should show those terrorist bastards who's who
Overrated: I'd have to say Slash and Herman Li. I'd agree that guitar hero epically got them popular, while there are other ugitarists much more deservin gof that type of charisma. ( In my opinion. ) I wouldn't say overrated really tho, they're both insanely good, but herman's riffs are reptitive.

Underrated: Tim and Luke of Protest the Hero, Go watch them play any song, and Arif, Protest's bassist is amazing. They are so skilled techniacally, it's awe-inspiring.
Overrated: Herman Li and Zakk Wylde.
Underrated: I agree with Gizmo, the guitarists of Protest the Hero are crazy sick. I also have to say that Jason Becker is possibly one of the most underrated guitarists.
Over-rated - Slash, Kirk Hammet, Synester gates.

Under-Rated - Nuno bettencourt, Paul Gilbert
Over rated: Slash, Froosh, Syn Gates, Brian May, D-bag Darrel, Tom Morello
Under rated: David Gilmour, Jason Becker
Overrated - Jimmy Page

Underrated - Shawn Lane, Tony MacAlpine and Mikael Akerfeldt.
Overrated - Slash, Herman Li,

Underated- Paul Waggoner, Travis Stever
Ibanez SR500
Overrated : Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Herman Li, Slash, EVH, Jimmy Page, and many, many others...
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

Quote by NeoGuitarist
NeoGuitarist is t3h 1337z0rz!
Quote by Beasternaut
I think the most overrated guitarist is Jimi Hendrix. I know how much hee did to improve most of the guitar techniques but when you think of it, he wasn't even fast player. But he was a genious. And most underrated guitarists are all of the Iron Maiden guitarists. They play so ****ing fast solos and riffs but it seems that nobody doesen't even notice that.

pretty much what i was going to say-
hendrix, brilliant but over-rated
dave murrey from iron maiden doesn't get nearly as much credit as he deserves, as goes for adrian smith and jannick gers.
Quote by Van Hayden
Underated

Mark Knopfler!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, how could i forget him, you got it spot on1
Can't really think of any guitarists that are underrated, probably the ones from melodic death metal bands. They are really good, but are hardly acknowledged at all in today's society.

For overrated, I'll have to say Herman Li. Also, Kevin Jonas. This guy is a nobody yet I get girls all the time going "OMJ!!!!!! He's an amazing guitar player!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".
I think Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman are definetly underrated seeing as how everyone thinks that Kirk Hammett and James Hetfield are like guitar gods or something.

Tom Hunting and Rick Hunolt from Exodus are also overshadowed by Metallica too
I think that Slash is a wonderful player and all, he's influenced loads of people, his writing ability is awesome but yes, it is true, he is overrated.
Underrated = Eric Gales, Albert Lee, Joe Walsh, Chet Atkins, Gary Moore, David Gilmore, Freddie King, Nuno Bettencourt.
Overrated = Ace Frehley, John Mayer, George Thorogood.
Tastes like chicken, if chicken was a candy.
Quote by ConfederateAxe
Underrated = Eric Gales, Albert Lee, Joe Walsh, Chet Atkins, Gary Moore, David Gilmore, Freddie King, Nuno Bettencourt.
Overrated = Ace Frehley, John Mayer, George Thorogood.

Definitely Eric Gales. He's probably my favorite new guitarist of this generation. But he really goes by unnoticed.

And Freddie King used to be hugely popular it seems, but not many people these days know about him. He influenced a lot of guitarists, like Clapton.
Underrated=Gary Holt
I love his style.

Overrated=Jimmy Page

When the bell rang to change classes at school, I walked into the hallway and yelled, "I MASTURBATE TO DUCK SEX" and started imitating a duck having sex.

Quote by Beasternaut
I think the most overrated guitarist is Jimi Hendrix. I know how much hee did to improve most of the guitar techniques but when you think of it, he wasn't even fast player. But he was a genious. And most underrated guitarists are all of the Iron Maiden guitarists. They play so ****ing fast solos and riffs but it seems that nobody doesen't even notice that.

Being fast doesnt make you a better guitar player, playing is about the feel, sound, vibe, and melody that comes out of it. Herman lee can play fast, even though the music is sped up, but that DOES NOT make him a great guitar player. I hate guitar hero for making everyone think hes the best when he isnt even in the top hundred.

Overrated : Herman lee
Underrated: Kirk Hammet (doesn't seem to get the recognition he deserves, he is an excellent guitarist. even though Metallica have gone downhill, the old stuff was excellent)
You Did Decide!!
Overrated Kirk Hammet

Underrated James Hetfield

James plays everything except the full blown solos, and kirk gets all the credit.
Underrated: Thurston Moore. Thats a shame cause he's awsome!
Overrated: Slash
Quote by angusfan16
I got ass-raped but your story beats mine.

My Gear:
Ibanez SA 240FM
Marshall Modell 8100
Overrated: Yngwie F***ing Malmsteen (so he can play really fast, big woop, all his solos sound the same)

Underrated: Toni Iommi (one of the few guitarists that are appreciated for their riffs instead of a guitar solo)
underrated- alex lifeson from rush
Fender HSS Deluxe Special Edition
Scheckter C-1 classic
Orange rocker 30
A few boss pedals
Overrated- Jimmy Page (He was an amazing songwriter but he was also really sloppy)
-Yngwie Malamsteen

Underrated- Paul Waggoner of Between the Buried and Me (listen to some of his solos, they're insane)
-Angus Young (everyone knows him for power chords but he can do some pretty mean solos)
-James Hetfield
Overated: Anyone playing rock or metal. Anyone. Yes, many rock guitarists are definitely as good as some other guitarists (see below), but do they really deserve the attention and all the groupies?

Underated: Anyone playing classical: Andreas Sergovia, John Williams and anyone playing jazz: Pat Metheny, John Mclaughlin, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Christian, Django Reinhardt, Joe Pass.

No joke, without Charlie Christian there would be no rock, as he populised guitar for musicians as a real instrument. Before Christian, guitar was the slave of a band. Some guys think blues gave birth to rock, well southern blues (Robert Johnson) was always a joke among white, mainstream audiences and was regarded as idiots music to most musicians. After Charlie Christian appeared with Benny Goodmans band and made kids start going "oh crap, I wanna learn the guitar."
Overated: Kurt Cobain Herman li, EVH, Jimmy page, Sloppy as hell
Underated: Prince Rik Emmet John Frusciante, Tom Morrelo, Even i didnt like him at first
Last edited by megagage at Jul 10, 2009,
Overrated: Slash, and Kurt Cobain.

Underrated: Dave Navarro, yea he may have a big ego, but his guitar playing is really underlooked.
overrated-synister gates (very gay name) slash (also very gay name)
underated-buckethead
Overrated: Synyster Gates
Underrated: Chris Storey(So lame that he's no longer with All Shall Perish), Dimebag Darrell (R.I.P)
Last edited by alanaxxhxc at Jul 14, 2009,
overrated- ive never seen any guitarist move overrated than slash
underrated- defiantly James Hetfield
OVERRATED = Yngwie Malmsteen, he doesnt play music he just speeds through scales a billion times

UNDERRATED = John Frusciante from RHCP
Overrated - Yngwie malmstein, Herman Li

Underated - Izzy Stradlin (rock solid rythm guitarist and songwriter), Zakk Wylde (He learned all of Randy Rhoads Material and came up with his own stuff).
When you are past the stage of noob, you then become a geek.....

Epiphones are the way forward! <3
underrated- andy summers (the police), jasun tipton ( zero hour)
overrated- slash
Last edited by edgarvanburen at Jul 18, 2009,
Awww, everyone said my overrated one: Slash

Underrated: Mike McCready
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama