im pretty sure joe satriani is the one that came up with it, EVH made it known though
Not entirely sure but I'm sure it's been around for centuries as stringed instruments have been. It was used in Jazz before it got anywhere near metal. It came to prominence in the 70's and 80's .

I found this if your interested. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapping

Remember: Google and Wiki are your friends.

Quote by Wylde14
im pretty sure joe satriani is the one that came up with it, EVH made it known though

Lulz. No.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Last edited by Donkey Fly at Jul 25, 2008,
Invented? No idea. I know Van Halen made it badass though.

EDIT: I think in an interview EVH said he got the idea from Led Zepplin on the song "Whole lotta lovin" or something like that.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by lagunasunrise
Invented? No idea. I know Van Halen made it badass though.

EDIT: I think in an interview EVH said he got the idea from Led Zepplin on the song "Whole lotta lovin" or something like that.

Jimmy Page didnt do any tapping. again, im pretty sure it was Satch
Quote by Wylde14
Jimmy Page didnt do any tapping. again, im pretty sure it was Satch

It wasn't tapping like we think of it. It was basicly hammerons and pulloffs. EVH just got the idea from that song.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
actually, the guitar world interview with EVH quotes him as saying that he was sitting on the toilet, playing his guitar, and he thought of Jimmy Page's opening lick from the solo section of "Heartbreaker," in which Page plays a pull-off pattern going from the 5th fret to the 2nd fret to the open string. EVH then thought to himself, "what if i did that, but if i used by finger as the nut, and moved it around to different frets?"
Quote by frigginjerk
actually, the guitar world interview with EVH quotes him as saying that he was sitting on the toilet, playing his guitar, and he thought of Jimmy Page's opening lick from the solo section of "Heartbreaker," in which Page plays a pull-off pattern going from the 5th fret to the 2nd fret to the open string. EVH then thought to himself, "what if i did that, but if i used by finger as the nut, and moved it around to different frets?"

Yes, that was it! Not whole lot of lovin, but heartbreaker.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Quote by lagunasunrise
It wasn't tapping like we think of it. It was basicly hammerons and pulloffs. EVH just got the idea from that song.

yeah i suppose, but to the guy above me, im almost certain evh didnt invent it