Yes, I realize that soloing in the genre is nothing special.
But (not sure what other forum to put this in), my friend and I've been working on a pseudo-spoof of grunge music (not exactly a hilarious song, it just covers a lot of the themes that a stereotypical grunge song would cover). Neither of us are huge grunge fans, although I do enjoy a little Nirvana here and there, so it's taken a while to make the song as "grunge" as possible. Anyway, the riffs for both the verse and chorus came pretty quickly and sound good, but I'm completely stuck on the solo.

I want to put an outro solo into the song but nothing seems to work. Everything that I either write or improvise sounds too bluesy, classic rockish, or John Frusciante-esque. What are some essentials I need in a grunge solo and/or what scales would work the best?
Also, the solos I try to improvise always come out a little too complex for what I'm looking for so I need something that's simple but isn't boring.

Edit: I have been listening to grunge solos but it doesn't seem to help...
Turn on EVERY pedal in your effects chain/loop and go slow and rape your whammy. Basically what Kurt Cobain ever did.
Play a variation of the melody with as much distortion and feedback as possible, maybe throw heavy chorus in there
Thanks, I was doing some stuff with the melody the other day, but I'll definitely put more feedback and a lot more distortion. I'll have to wait till tomorrow, though, the neighbors would kill me otherwise.
Turn on EVERY pedal in your effects chain/loop and go slow and rape your whammy. Basically what Kurt Cobain ever did.

Kurt Cobain detested the whammy bar.

Try a very simple solo based around the vocal melody.

^+1

Listen to the solo of smells like teen spirit. it follows Kurt's vocal melody -

"load up on guns, bring your friends, its fun to lose and to pretend."
"She's over-bored, and self-assured, I know, I know, a dirty word."

The solo follows that same vocal melody.

Imo, A good way to make lead for any song in most genres is to sing it, and transpose it to the guitar.

thers great solos in grunge, just listen to pearl jam, Mike McCready is one of the best soloists ive ever heard.
I hate when people misinterpret grunge to mean nirvana.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Quote by deathbyawesome
thers great solos in grunge, just listen to pearl jam, Mike McCready is one of the best soloists ive ever heard.

+1
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by deathbyawesome

So do i.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Quote by deathbyawesome

I listen to Pearl Jam, I have their debut album, but, in terms of soloing, that's not exactly the style I want to go for in the song
Quote by Karvid
I listen to Pearl Jam, I have their debut album, but, in terms of soloing, that's not exactly the style I want to go for in the song

then say you want a nirvan a style solo, not a grunge one .
But for a nirvana solo, following the vocals is a good idea, like someone else said.
Fender Standard American Stratocaster
Boss DS-1
Budda Budwah
Electroharmonix Small Clone
Vox AD50VT
Check out the band Alice in Chains; one of the best grunge bands ever.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by -JakeS-
Play a variation of the melody with as much distortion and feedback as possible, maybe throw heavy chorus in there

+1. Especially the chorus thing.
Quote by deathbyawesome

I agree, but he wants stereotypical grunge. What's more stereotypical than Nirvana?
Quote by deathbyawesome
...just listen to pearl jam...

I'd rather not.

I agree with the whole make a simple solo that follows the vocal melody deal. A lot of bands do that for a nice little lead part to fill in an empty space in the music.
use heavy wah. jerry cantrell, and mike mccready use tons of it.
My Gear:
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat
Vox AD30VT
Big Muff Pi.
Quote by herman ri2
Anti-solo.

This.

Just stomp on REEAALLYY heavy chorus and play a load of notes with big bends and stuff.
i dont know if you want to call them grunge, but alice in chains have done some of my favorite guitar work to listen to. man in the box has one of the best riffs and solo's in metal/hard rock, in my opinion. plus, he brought bluesy, pentatonic solos to a really dark genre, which in my book makes him creative.