I'm sure I want the S520EX, but I was wondering what exactly are the differences between that and the S470 and S320.

What I think is that they're all the same except:

S520EX
Claw inlay, possibly most appealing finish, two humbuckers with covers.

S470
Oval inlays, cheaper simple all-black finish, two humbuckers + middle singlecoil without covers.

S320
Crappy oval inlay, grainy interesting finish, two humbuckers without covers.

Is there anything more to it?
Different finishes. That's it, except the S470 is immediately more versatile due to the middle coil and pickup blending between middle, neck or bridge. All three guitars are great!

The only problem I find is the pickups suck major ass, but nothing a good pickup swap can't fix. Another complaint about the S470 which applies only some people is that the middle coil gets in the way of picking.
Quote by Mwoit
Different finishes. That's it, except the S470 is immediately more versatile due to the middle coil and pickup blending between middle, neck or bridge. All three guitars are great!

The only problem I find is the pickups suck major ass, but nothing a good pickup swap can't fix. Another complaint about the S470 which applies only some people is that the middle coil gets in the way of picking.

Thanks. Now I'm tempted to go with the cheapest one so I can afford other gear (and maybe a set of Blackouts if the "Ibanez IF" pickups turn out to sound like ass).
Quote by BrickIsRed
Thanks. Now I'm tempted to go with the cheapest one so I can afford other gear (and maybe a set of Blackouts if the "Ibanez IF" pickups turn out to sound like ass).

Up to yourself. The S series is highly recommended across the board, check the search bar if you want to make sure. The ZR trem is highly acclaimed due to the use of the ball bearings; although there have been some complaints that the arm holder (or something, can't exactly remember) breaking.

Have you tried out any S series guitar? Make sure you get along with the thin body and neck, although I must say it is quite a comfortable neck. Not too thin, not too thick.
Quote by Mwoit
Up to yourself. The S series is highly recommended across the board, check the search bar if you want to make sure. The ZR trem is highly acclaimed due to the use of the ball bearings; although there have been some complaints that the arm holder (or something, can't exactly remember) breaking.

Have you tried out any S series guitar? Make sure you get along with the thin body and neck, although I must say it is quite a comfortable neck. Not too thin, not too thick.

A thin body and neck is what I'm looking for, since I often play metal with a strat and now I want a specialized metal guitar.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Jul 25, 2008,
S470 most definitely. I really hate the finish on the 320
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Quote by C.C. Deville
S470 most definitely. I really hate the finish on the 320

Yeah, the 320's finish does look a bit sketchy. But I'm not a fan of the S470's middle pickup either. I'll have to compare prices again.

Quote by The Mailman 666
Go through the Canada link and check out the S620EXQM. I ordered it early this week.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_canada.html

That looks awesome, but the S620 isn't available in this region. They only have a
Prestige with that finish over here.
Alright, the S520 is only about €80 more than the others, and there's something about both the S470 and S320 I don't like. So I'll get the S520.