Hey guys,
I have a question about building a guitar from scratch. Basically what I don't understand is why when your cutting the body, you glue the two halves together. Why not just start shaping the body right when you get the wood?

Basically, what's the point of cutting the wood in half, then gluing it back together?
You don't have to, the body is only in 2 pieces for a neck-thru guitar (plus the neck column)
You can use just one big slab of wood
ohai little sig.
to carve out the inside?

EDIT: i really have no idea what i'm talking about, haha. I gave it my best try....
O O

___
Last edited by TheBax at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Demonikk
You don't have to, the body is only in 2 pieces for a neck-thru guitar (plus the neck column)
You can use just one big slab of wood

O so if I'm bolting on the neck, It can be one solid piece?
Mine is so far one solid piece. though my dad is a carpenter and says that glue is actually stronger than one solid piece of wood.
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Quote by shampooboy37
Mine is so far one solid piece. though my dad is a carpenter and says that glue is actually stronger than one solid piece of wood.

Wow I didn't know that. Well I'll probably do a solid piece, but put a top wood on it to make it look pretty.

By the way, what are you building?
i'm pretty much just building the body and buying the neck and wiring stuff cause i'm not advanced enough to do all that stuff... but just creating something that isn't really seen much if that's what you meant like shape wise...
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Two piece guitars may prove easier when building a radical non-S design.. like a crooked V?
you don't actually cut the guitar in half. What is is is you have to pieces of would not wide enough on their own to make a guitar but together wide enough to make a guitar. So, you glue them together, also it gives you a handy dandy center line to base all your measurements off of
Quote by shampooboy37
i'm pretty much just building the body and buying the neck and wiring stuff cause i'm not advanced enough to do all that stuff... but just creating something that isn't really seen much if that's what you meant like shape wise...

Yeah same here. I'm building the body, but there's no way I could make a decent neck. haha

Quote by Bass-man43
you don't actually cut the guitar in half. What is is is you have to pieces of would not wide enough on their own to make a guitar but together wide enough to make a guitar. So, you glue them together, also it gives you a handy dandy center line to base all your measurements off of

O haha. I just went to look at the top wood I'm getting, and I saw what you meant, it comes in two pieces! I never thought of that as a center line either, that should help!
Thanks guys!
Quote by theskyline

O haha. I just went to look at the top wood I'm getting, and I saw what you meant, it comes in two pieces! I never thought of that as a center line either, that should help!
Thanks guys!

well that's done for a different reason, it's called bookmatching.. they get a section of beautiful figure, enough for half a guitar, then saw it in half, so that it's symmetrical.
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
you glue wood together for different reasons.

Bodies: because 1 piece body wood is hard to find so you join 2 (or more) smaller pieces together side by side to make a big piece

necks: scarf joint FTW and/or pretty laminate necks for neck thru
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology