Hello,

I was wondering if I could get your opinions on which guitar I should purchase. The two guitars are a black MIJ Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster or a black Fender Standard Stratocaster. The Aerodyne is basswood and the standard is alder. Which would you go with and why?

Thanks for your feedback!!

Ken
I would go for the standard. I played one the other day at guitar center and it was one of the best guitars I have ever played. The neck felt so nice.
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Standard Strats are very nice, have the classic Strat tones, and have a great-feeling neck, too. But I really like how the Aerodyne looks, and its much lighter, being made of basswood and having more contours than a Standard does. I think the build quality would be better as well. Try both of em out, but i would go for the Aerodyne.
Quote by qotsa1998
Standard Strats are very nice, have the classic Strat tones, and have a great-feeling neck, too. But I really like how the Aerodyne looks, and its much lighter, being made of basswood and having more contours than a Standard does. I think the build quality would be better as well. Try both of em out, but i would go for the Aerodyne.

The Aerodyne is a sexy Strat indeed, matching headstock color, contoured body, and Cream binding. The build and finish is typical Japanese quality - high. It's definitely not like the usual Strat in looks.

I can get the standard for $400 and the aerodyne for $450, and I love the looks of the aerodyne much more. So really, is the Aerodyne higher quality than a standard strat? Also, I hear basswood is fragile, but alder, which is what the standard strat is made of, is sturdier. Is this true?
Last edited by jedinix at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Ippon
The Aerodyne is a sexy Strat indeed, matching headstock color, contoured body, and Cream binding. The build and finish is typical Japanese quality - high. It's definitely not like the usual Strat in looks.

+1. the Aerodyne strats are hot. the white binding makes it stand out from standard strats.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by leviticus_22953
+1. the Aerodyne strats are hot. the white binding makes it stand out from standard strats.

I agree, but I want to make sure I'm not sacrificing quality.
Quote by jedinix

as far as i know, Aerodyne strats are MIJ which means better, or comparable, build quality than MIA or MIM strats. Standard Strats are usually MIM.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by jedinix
I can get the standard for $400 and the aerodyne for $450, and I love the looks of the aerodyne much more. So really, is the Aerodyne higher quality than a standard strat? Also, I hear basswood is fragile, but alder, which is what the standard strat is made of, is sturdier. Is this true?

The MIJ Aerodyne is of higher quality, an opinion, and since it's discontinued with sexy looks, it has a special appeal.

Don't get me wrong MIM Strats are awesome. The main differences are: the MIM has a flatter radius at 9.5" while the fretboard on the MIJ Aero is 7.25", similar to the American Vintage '62 RI. The MIM has 21 frets while the Aero has 22, like the MIA Strats.

You can get the MIM used or new during special GC sale for ~$300. The used Aero is slightly higher but if you can get it for $450 new, that's a very good price.

Quote by leviticus_22953
as far as i know, Aerodyne strats are MIJ which means better, or comparable, build quality than MIA or MIM strats. Standard Strats are usually MIM.

O.K., I think I've decided to go with the Aerodyne. It sounds like a great guitar! Thanks for your help everyone!!

Ken
Quote by Ippon

I aggree whole heartedly. I had a CIJ Aerodyne; seccond best strat I've ever owned. If it's only 50 more, snatch that up!
Quote by jedinix

The main difference (I noticed) in the Aerodyne and standard strats are the body wood. Since the aero is basswood, it has a bit more midrange than regular strats and cuts off some of the high-end, and I imagine the fact that it has direct in-body pickups affects it in a way, but I'm not sure.