hey everyone, i have been playing since December and i feel like im improving at a pretty decent rate, however, im sick of dealing with onboard amp distortion, and i wanted to buy a real deal effects mechanism.

Anyway, would the RP50 be good?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002GYYI6/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

And does it work on all amps? I only have a 15w Fender amp that came free with my guitar. A fender frontman 15g

Thanks for the help!

Also, does that offer distortion? Or would i need a distortion pedal as well. I'm new to the effects things.
Quote by crust_punk
I think you should save up for a good amp instead.

+1
Quote by Twist of fate
Once, I watched Star Wars episode 4. I timed myself so that I came right when the death star blew up.

Afterwards, Han Solo said "Great shot kid, that was one in a million!"
It would have onboard distortion, but like crust_punk said, you'd be better off saving up for a better amp.

How much would you be comfortable with spending?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
If it's possible to save up to around $130, you could shoot for a Microcube.

Decent solid state practice amp. Can run off batteries making it extremely portable. Has decent effects and amp models.

May find one for around $100 used also.
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
To Aedmiston, i have a fender squire strat and i love it :P

And alright Hakael, ill save up awhile and post back when i have the money i guess..

So just stick to this fender frontmans onboard distortion for now?
I have the RP50.

Its the best when it comes to no amp and using headphones. The distortion on it is decent if you want to do ****ty recordings, but for distortion on an amp, it kinda sucks.

Get a DS-1. Best cheap distortion pedal ever. I've had mine 3 years and I still use it. I got it when i realized that the distorion on my amp sucked balls.
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
Well, if you were to spend the money on a distortion pedal, you'd already spend at least half, if not all of the money that could go towards a better amp.

Other things to consider would be to possibly sell your old amp (I wouldn't expect much honestly, but it'd be at least a little something). If you can get a part time job, or just do a little extra work for some money (mowing lawns, cleaning, etc.), you could save up enough for a Microcube in no time. If you can just stick it out with your practice amp, you can continue to save even more for an even better amp.

It's all on what you're willing to do for tone.
Quote by lagunasunrise

Get a DS-1. Best cheap distortion pedal ever. I've had mine 3 years and I still use it. I got it when i realized that the distorion on my amp sucked balls.

I have found that he DS-1 likes tube amps better, and it reacted kinda bably to my 100 watt fender.

TS, save up for something that is half decent and will last you for a while. this will mean spending more than $150 on something. I would second the microcube idea.
Quote by DeadlyDevil1985
Alright Hakael, i think ill do that. Thanks alot mate. The save part that is.

Good luck to you!

I know how hard it is to save and just sit there with money burning a hole in your pocket. Especially when you're looking at so many shiny things that you could possibly get.

But when you do save that money and you manage to get that better amp, when you start playing with it, you'll be glad you were able to stick it out.