1. Should I place more emphasis on just letting it flow and not paying as much attention the chords if I'm in a band where i'm the only guitarist? I mean, should I stil practice with over chords, or should i just solo? I mean as long as it fits the vibe and i'm in time i should be fine.

2. For Van Halen/Randy Rhoads style improvisation and playing, what tips would you give me? I have pentatonics, they and slash are my hero's.

3.What are some tips for getting a just plain, in your face, balls-out-heavy-rock type of lead sound? I read the petrucci artice that mentioned overbending, i already know pinch harmonics. Thanks!
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

1. Depends on the type of sound you're going for; since you're playing hard rock, then you should be fine just playing in key. However, you should still practice following chords anyway even if you won't use the idea all the time. Never hurts to practice whatever you can.

2. You'll need very fast legato abilities as well as alternate picking ability to match; use pinch harmonics in combination with the whammy bar and lots of pick slides and flash tricks like killswiching to be closer to EVH. For Randy, work on trills, practice throwing in some Dorian and chromatic ideas with quick scalar runs.

3. First, try beefing out your tone a little bit. In terms of playing, use lots of pentatonic ideas with some repeated licks mixed in and use double steps as well. Wide vibrato will help fatten out your sound, as will short bursts of speed. One of my favorite things in solos is pentatonic triplets; not to self-advertise here, but the "B minor solo" on my profile uses this around 15 seconds in. Guys like Zakk Wylde and Kirk Hammett use the same idea quite a bit.

Hope this was some help.
Thanks, that helped a lot
Quote by darkstar2466
Bigfoot.... The Abominable Snowman.... Chinese Democracy.... all stories, nothing more.

Quote by mydogpoops
1. Should I place more emphasis on just letting it flow and not paying as much attention the chords if I'm in a band where i'm the only guitarist? I mean, should I stil practice with over chords, or should i just solo? I mean as long as it fits the vibe and i'm in time i should be fine.
Personally I think the most important part of a solo is phrasing. Good phrasing comes when you "let it flow." So once you got that down (takes a while, I still hate my phrasing half the time), you can start playing the changes.

2. For Van Halen/Randy Rhoads style improvisation and playing, what tips would you give me? I have pentatonics, they and slash are my hero's.
Dunno, I try not to play like anyone else (unless I'm mocking them or something )
You could try listening to their solos and copying their phrasing?

3.What are some tips for getting a just plain, in your face, balls-out-heavy-rock type of lead sound? I read the petrucci artice that mentioned overbending, i already know pinch harmonics. Thanks!
Pentatonics, with added flat fifths, major sixths (especially for minor based music), major thirds (for major music). Try to use double stops occasionally and the occasional arpeggio with tritones thrown in.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Listen to the solo in No More Tears - Ozzy Osbourne.
That is the ballsiest solo I've heard in years, it's just perfect.
Ok. Thanks guys
Quote by darkstar2466