Hey guys. So I just had a pretty neat idea. It's not really neat actually. I bet most people opened this thread thinking I would have some idea to combine an iMac with a vending machine, but sadly that is not the case.

Anyway, I've got this really old Powermac (g4, I believe) that I don't use anymore, and I've been wanting to put it to use. Would it be possible to make some upgrades to it (more memory, better processor, etc) so that I would be able to run Leopard on a really old school Macintosh?

I don't know the exact specs on the Powermac right now, except that the chip is 450 megahertz, or something along those lines.

EDIT: I'm aware that I could just as well buy a new Mac and it'll probably run better, but I'm looking for a project to do, and I figured I already have the Powermac I may as well put it to use.
Veteran UGer. Suck it.
Last edited by CrashedTheShow3 at Jul 25, 2008,
Get the new Mac Pro, run it with a 30" screen. More awesome that way.
Need fashion advice?

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
I wish I had a dick like a black guy instead of my little white dick.

Quote by JoelTheShredder
i love you more than words can express jean.

I saw Rick Astley in Quebec City, on April 10th 2009. Best day of my life!
Turn it into an arcade machine. Grab some kind of emulator, build a nice little cabinet for yourself, set up the monitor with a mirror, ghetto-rig some control pad (or buy one made for a ps2 or something and rig it for the mac). I can't remember the name of the program I used to use to emulate oldschool games, it was like a four letter word that started with M...

But yea. You can get all sorts of arcade games to run on one machine. If you have a good amount of memory, you could probably get every single arcade game ever made on there... Literally. You'd just have to have a couple different interfaces to play the different types of games.
TOO MANY PUPPIES

Soda sucks.
One day I think I might buy an old mac and convert it into a toilet.
Gear:
Ibnaez RG1570 Prestige
Maton EM225C Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Digitech DF-7 Distortion Pedal
Quote by Firequacker
Turn it into an arcade machine. Grab some kind of emulator, build a nice little cabinet for yourself, set up the monitor with a mirror, ghetto-rig some control pad (or buy one made for a ps2 or something and rig it for the mac). I can't remember the name of the program I used to use to emulate oldschool games, it was like a four letter word that started with M...

But yea. You can get all sorts of arcade games to run on one machine. If you have a good amount of memory, you could probably get every single arcade game ever made on there... Literally. You'd just have to have a couple different interfaces to play the different types of games.

I believe you're thinking MAME

Good idea though.

EDIT: ****
got beat to it
you should give it to me.
Gear:
PRS SE Singlecut, blue with stoptail (my baby)
Line 6 Spider III 75 (shut up)
Epiphone Les Paul standard
Cheapo Yamaha nylon string
even more cheapo Fender steel string acoustic
ill send you some info if you want but I turned mine into a home entertainment system/dvr recorder using a few programs and some tweaks but its acutally quite easy. and a blue ray player if you have a superdrive.
Quote by Firequacker

MAME
450 megahertz!? How old is that!?
Quote by Zinnie
god placed the fossils in earth to confuse the humans into thinking that earth is older than it actually is, therefore, making men try and think outside the box....

just kidding, there is no god

www.youtube.com/user/andrew12398
i'd say go with the arcade games thing.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay