my planned rack setup includes: wireless system, tuner, multi effects and a power conditioner and i will be using my amps power amp and pre amp (dont worry, i am getting a better amp for my birthday later this year). so my question is, how would i set all of that up and where would it plug into the amp?
help greatly appreciated
Last edited by samlocke14 at Jul 26, 2008,
At this point going to a rack setup might be kind of pointless. A decent amp and something like a TC Electronic Nova System would be all you really need.

If you wanted more tonal options, such as is available with a Midi preamp, you would need to shop for a separate power amp, but a rack setup would then start to become more practical. Might I recommend the following:

Tech21 SansAmp PSA1.1 Midi preamp
TC Electronic G-Major multi effects unit
Carvin TS100 power amp
Rocktron MidiMate floor controller
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
so would just a simple wireless system and a pedal tuner be better for me?
better amp is coming at the end of the year but im not laying for it so im upgrading gear now
I had a rack setup to my trilogy about a month ago
had a tuner, wireless and multi effect in it but
i sold the rack case and the tuner and fx, bought a
pedal tuner, and just sat the wireless on top of my head.

Like Someone said before, its not worth it unless you are running
decent stand alone pre amps and poweramps.

In my opinion your probably dont need it, and are better off
getting a pedal tuner like boss Tu2 or the planet waves one,
and just putting your wireless on top
Jackson SLSMG Soloist
Jackson DXMG
ENGL Fireball E635 100
Peavey JSX
Orange 4x12
G-Major
BBE Green Screamer
Getting a GOOD rack is expensive.
And if you're using it for home use, it's pointless getting one.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Getting a GOOD rack is expensive.
And if you're using it for home use, it's pointless getting one.

i gig with my metal band as well as home use
Quote by samlocke14
i gig with my metal band as well as home use

In which case go for it if it's more practical.
Although, I've seen some people buy a normal head and place it in (or on top of) a rack.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
In which case go for it if it's more practical.
Although, I've seen some people buy a normal head and place it in (or on top of) a rack.

sweet, so multi effects aren't essential, it would be there just for messing around. so can you recomend a good wireless system/tuner and is a sonic maximizer a good idea?

EDIT: i will be using the tube head im getting for my birthday later on so i dont want power/pre amps in the rack. hybrid rig
Well, apparently Adrian Smith (Iron Maiden) uses a Shure U4 wireless receiver, but they're discontinued, but the "Shure PG14 Wireless Receiver" looks like something you could check out, although the unit isn't rack based, so you may have to look around and try some out.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
I use a similar type of setup. I have a 3U rack case that has a G-Major, a wireless, and a power conditioner. I use my amps preamp/power amp as I like the sound. On my pedal board I have a couple of gain pedals, an EQ, a way and a midi mouse to change patches on the G-Major.

It's a great sounding setup and it works for me. As everything is already plugged into the power conditioner it is quick and simple to setup at gigs.

Regarding your setup question. Your effects unit would run through the effects loop in the amp. You'd also then have a cable going from your wireless, to the tuner, to the amps input (you could run the tuner in the loop, but its up to you really).

Does this help?
Fender 60W Super-Sonic Head
Fender 2x12 Cabinet (Vintage 30s)
TC Electronics G Major
Boss Blues Driver BD-2 w/ Keeley mod
MXR 6 Band EQ
BB Preamp
TS-9
Jim Dunlop Crybaby Wah

American Fender Stratocaster
For a wireless I would check out a Sennheiser EW 172. If you look for them on Ebay or Craigslist you can find them for around $300.
Quote by StriferDiem
I use a similar type of setup. I have a 3U rack case that has a G-Major, a wireless, and a power conditioner. I use my amps preamp/power amp as I like the sound. On my pedal board I have a couple of gain pedals, an EQ, a way and a midi mouse to change patches on the G-Major.

It's a great sounding setup and it works for me. As everything is already plugged into the power conditioner it is quick and simple to setup at gigs.

Regarding your setup question. Your effects unit would run through the effects loop in the amp. You'd also then have a cable going from your wireless, to the tuner, to the amps input (you could run the tuner in the loop, but its up to you really).

Does this help?

exactly what i was after mate, cheers