My amp is a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt combo amp. I use a Epiphone Les Paul 100 with it.

My problem is kinda hard to describe, but I'll try my best.

When playing with distortion, I often hear a high pitch noise.(It's happens the most and is loudest when playing chords) I don't hear any distortion in this 'noise', its just a very high pitch.. clean? sound. It's very annoying. I think I did a crappy job of describing the problem, but it's the best I could do -_-.

If anyone has any ideas what's up / how to fix it, please reply. I might record it and upload it to let you guys listen and see for yourselves if no one knows what I'm talking about.

Thank you.
I have the same amp...
I would need to hear a recording! It might be your pickups...or audio feedback as guerito said.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by iTzMaTT
I have the same amp...
I would need to hear a recording! It might be your pickups...or audio feedback as guerito said.

Alright. Ill record it, it should be up sometime tonight,
if its feedback its odd it does it the most while playing chords. if its feedback, it'll usually do it the most when you stop playing. and/or move your hands away so your not muting the strings/covering the pickup.... does it do it when youre not playin?
Quote by negativnancy
Cool, thank you. But is there any way to reduce or eliminate it?

if its feedback you should be able to face away from the amp, back off on the gain and get rid of it.

your problem doesnt sound like feedback to me though. does your amp have a polarity switch on the back of it? if so try switching that...
Quote by gordy420
if its feedback its odd it does it the most while playing chords. if its feedback, it'll usually do it the most when you stop playing. and/or move your hands away so your not muting the strings/covering the pickup.... does it do it when youre not playin?

No. There is no noise when I'm not playing. But I think you're right, it actually happens most when I move my hands away so i'm not muting the strings/covering the pickup.(I do that when I'm playing a lot of bar chords fast)

Like I said though, Ill post a recording later tonight so everyone knows exactly what's up, hehe.
The pickups that come stock in a LP100 are wound way to hot for cheap pickups. Their output is close to a dimebucker. Your gonna need to turn the guitar volume down. And adjust the gain on your amp. Lots of output from cheap pickups into a high gain amp equals lots of noise and feedback.
I would have to say it sounds like feedback. However, that amp you have doesn't make the situation any worse, as I have one in the same series, and well... not good.

I would say get a new amp, because I am almost sure that would eliminate the sounds you're hearing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
have you tried your guitar in a different amp?

have you tried a different guitar in your amp?

any major changes lately to set up?

Yes.
No.
No.

I just tried a different amp, Peavey Rage 258. I am pretty sure the sound is still there, but it's less frequent and quieter, but that could be because it's not as loud(25 watts vs 75)
Quote by Tackleberry
The pickups that come stock in a LP100 are wound way to hot for cheap pickups. Their output is close to a dimebucker. Your gonna need to turn the guitar volume down. And adjust the gain on your amp. Lots of output from cheap pickups into a high gain amp equals lots of noise and feedback.

You think turning the guitar volume down, and the amp volume up(So it evens out to the same volume I had before) will help reduce the feedback?
Well, a Peavey Rage 258 is like the same quality, if not worse. Yeah, probably worse...

You should try and plug it into a half decent SS like a VOX Valvetronix, or a tube amp if you can.
Quote by XxGibsonSGxX
Well, a Peavey Rage 258 is like the same quality, if not worse. Yeah, probably worse...

You should try and plug it into a half decent SS like a VOX Valvetronix, or a tube amp if you can.

The Peavey Transtube series (which the Rage 258 is from) are great amps - way better than Spider amps... and I'm sorry but I've played through some amps from the Valvetronix line and I personally think they are horrible!
Quote by end_citizen
Are you inducing harmonics? I think this might be your problem.

I'm sorry, I don't know what this means. :p. I know what a harmonic is... But I don't really understand your question.
When you move the chords, depending on where you are playing and how lightly you are touching the strings you may induce a harmonic. You are probably familiar with the harmonic at the 12th fret. You may know they occur at several places over the fretboard. (sorry if you know this and I sound patronizing). With a lot of gain they will sound a lot louder. If you lightly touch your finger right of the 4th fret on any string (try it on the low E) you will get a harmonic. If this is the sound you're getting then it is a matter of technique. It is just something you'll have to practice not doing. If not, continue with others advice, and I'm sorry to have misled.
your amp came broken you should invest in a not line 6 spider right away, it could bite you

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.