So heres the question. Should I buy a new bass amp or a new bass?

My setup currently is a SX Bass (Have no idea what model) and my amp is a Peavey TKO 115S.

So I play for my praise and worship band in the church now so I need to get a good sound to break through all the instruments and loud enough to hear. But I don't know if I should get a new bass or a new amp. I think my amp is the problem though, sometimes its so low that I don't get any depth and sometimes it sounds so twangy, well I don't like that sound (Maybe I suck with the EQs). So I need a suggestion on which I should get first because maybe getting a new bass may due my amp justice. (Don't tell me both because I'm on a budget, one at a time first). My limit is about $400 maybe $500 if its really worth it.
My Gear:
-Laguna LE322
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
-Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
-Yamaha Bass (Idk what model)

To Get:
-New Humbucker Pickups
Last edited by Trowa21 at Jul 25, 2008,
If the bass feels/plays great... then go for the amp...

I'd also suggest getting used equipment... the price is always right!

I've never played Ashdown before, but everyone here seems to worship the brand?
Ampeg makes some great combo amps for the price.
id get a new amp. a new amp will improve a crappy bass much more than a new bass would improve a crappy amp. (not sayin you gear sucks, though it might, u be the judge just makin a point) but anyway an amp would probably be better.
just get a reality tv show and then u can make millions being a **** up

MTV Sucks

Quote by hazzmatazz
You think you need help and you don't watch it everyday?

Oh man I'm well and truely on the point of no return then

MY COUSIN IS HOT
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Last edited by funkbass369 at Jul 25, 2008,
Quote by Trowa21
So heres the question.I think my amp is the problem though, sometimes its so low that I don't get any depth and sometimes it sounds so twangy, well I don't like that sound (Maybe I suck with the EQs).

I'm not familiar with that specific amp. But seriously mess with the EQ try as much as you can before you get a new amp (of course if it lacks the watts in general then by all means look for an amp).
You own a SX, I feel sorry for you.

Get a new bass and use the SX for firewood.

The reason you are not cutting through the mix isn't because of the amp, its because of the **** electronics of the SX. Please, get a new bass.
Quote by Pizza The Hut
You own a SX, I feel sorry for you.

Get a new bass and use the SX for firewood.

The reason you you arn't cutting through the mix isn't because of the amp, its because of the **** electronics of the SX. Please, get a new bass.

don't listen to this. the amp will do much more to your sound than a new bass.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
gey a new amp but dont even think about getting a behringer or a line 6
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Honestly, having played through that model amp (in the same setting, I might add), and having read up on SX basses, I think that replacing your pickups with some that have some more tonal response would be a good idea. Those things are built well, but the electronics...yech...
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Jul 26, 2008,
The peavy is 60 watts, right?

You just need something bigger, at least 150 watts. Ashdown is a good place to start.
I'm pretty sure the Peavey is putting out 115W. It can get pretty loud so volume isn't the problem, it's just the tone I want which I just can't seem to get, I'll mess around with the EQ a lot today and then i'll consider buying a new amp.

This is pretty much my setup lol if anyone wants to see -> http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/5711/p8180002xq4.jpg
My Gear:
-Laguna LE322
-Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
-Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal
-Yamaha Bass (Idk what model)

To Get:
-New Humbucker Pickups
Last edited by Trowa21 at Jul 26, 2008,
maybe changing pups could help and it wouldnt be so expensive
also if pups dont help you can always change the pups to a better bass when you upgrade
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400