right now i hav a squier special SE. It really sucks to try to get a lot of gain out of this thing, and it always drops its pitch slowly while playing. For an amp, I got a Squier 10 wt, it has really good tone quality and sounds nice, but not a lot of distortion. I hav a 5 wt Maestro thing, and it sounds like trash, but has metal-like distortion that i like.
Should i get a new guitar or amp? I dont hav a lot of money( up to 300 $)
I play sorta hard rock, classic rock, and other stuff like that
Fender Super Champ XD
/thread

but seriously, it's a 15w all-tube amp. You can get any kind of tone out of that amp. Oh and it's right on your budget $300.
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
try going used. $200 guitar $100 amp maybe. your guitar probably won't do the super champ any justice and your amp probably won't do a different guitar any justice.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by scott58
try going used. $200 guitar $100 amp maybe. your guitar probably won't do the super champ any justice and your amp probably won't do a different guitar any justice.

amp should come first, once you have a good practice amp, go crazy with the guitars, but the amp is the most important part of your gear. It's like 70% of your tone..
"My jedi powers are far more superior than yours"
Not if the guitar drops it's pitch while playing it isn't.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
amp. if you want to try to get into a band, you can have a ****ty guitar. but the amp needs to be powerful enough to be heard over drums (unless someone in the band has a pa). at least a hundred watts. no sense winding up with a fancy guitar that nobody can hear.
as for the tuning issues, you might be able to get a replacement set of tuners to add some stability. fifty bucks oughta do it for a set of grovers. but that's about all the modding worth doing on a squier.
New Tuners/Tighten the old tuners/makesure it's strung right and the strings arent slipping, then a new amp, then a new guitar, no other order!
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Quote by RabbidWolf
amp should come first, once you have a good practice amp, go crazy with the guitars, but the amp is the most important part of your gear. It's like 70% of your tone..

Yeah i thot about that: get a 50 wt or somthin and hav me set for a long while. a new tuner would b cheap enough, but Idont know how to install them.
Quote by christianrokr25
that fender super champ looks real nice. How much gain can it hold

It has a surprizing amount of gain. I played one the other day and I was amazed how good it sounded. ( The super champ XD, not the reagular champ.)
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."- Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by bBreaker at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
if you want to try to get into a band, you can have a ****ty guitar. but the amp needs to be powerful enough to be heard over drums (unless someone in the band has a pa). at least a hundred watts. no sense winding up with a fancy guitar that nobody can hear.

Even in the loudest bands I've played in I've never needed 100 watts. I'm using a 50 watt amp in a very loud band right now and I never turn it up past 4 to 41/2. But I agree with you about a new amp before a guitar. I even toured a couple times with a Squier (it was bad even for a Squier) and it was fine, but I couldn't have done it with a practice amp.
Quote by gonzosrevenge55
amp. if you want to try to get into a band, you can have a ****ty guitar. but the amp needs to be powerful enough to be heard over drums (unless someone in the band has a pa). at least a hundred watts. no sense winding up with a fancy guitar that nobody can hear.
as for the tuning issues, you might be able to get a replacement set of tuners to add some stability. fifty bucks oughta do it for a set of grovers. but that's about all the modding worth doing on a squier.

100w rule works for SS amps but a 100w tube you;'d be deaf in no time not to mention law suits against you for noise pollution
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I never push my 10 watt past halfway for practice, and I'm not in a band, so i dont need 100 watts. It would b hard to control the volume for practice, right?
SEX!!!!

made u look
not really. you'll probably just have the volume at about one or two instead of four or five. if, for some reason you do run into problems with too much volume, you can use the little practice amp for practice (that's why they call them practice amps), and the newer one for band stuff and shows.
also, in regards to the other comments, i didn't factor in tube amps because i'm assuming he's on a budget. they do sound better, but this guy's pretty new.
that said, you might be able to find a nice used tube amp for 400 or so. nothing high end, but maybe a peavey.
also, the difference between fifty and a hundred watts isn't really a lot of volume. a few decibels or so. but really, you pay for the headroom, or the volume you can pump out without clipping.
i'd consider both a new amp and guitar, most likely. a yamaha pacifica 112v is $200, i think, while a roland microcube is about $130 i think? maybe go second hand on the microcube if you can't stretch the extra $30.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a roland cube! (I loooovvvveee them)
Quote by SamuelBirkett
wtf r u say make no sensical

SAVE THE MUDKIPS
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd consider both a new amp and guitar, most likely. a yamaha pacifica 112v is $200, i think, while a roland microcube is about $130 i think? maybe go second hand on the microcube if you can't stretch the extra $30.

+100^11 to Dave_Mc!
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
If you are considering getting a new amp, I would go with a Vox Valvetronix (15w or 30w is up to you) but its tube and you can get some really good tones out of it.
Quote by StreetLight3989
Whatever but if I was to rate the austinaracadium he gets a 10.

My Gear

Stagg S350-MRD
Epiphone LP-100
Yamaha F325
Line 6 Spider 3
Peavey Rage158 (for sale)
Crate Palomino V8
DigiTech RP250(for sale)
MXR M-86
i don't know about the vox stuff. after working at guitar center for a while, i saw a lot of displays just stop working, and we got way more returns on the vox stuff than any other brand. usually for not working. i'm sure there are plenty out there that work fine, but a disproportionate number of those broke. i'll never buy one, and i'd never recommend them to anyone else.
Spiders are pretty bad.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Simonwalker
100w rule works for SS amps but a 100w tube you;'d be deaf in no time not to mention law suits against you for noise pollution

Last night after work it was about 11:00 pm, I brought my amp in to show my boss, and of course he wanted to see how it sounded and how loud it would get. So I took it outside and turned it all the way up. Next door to my place of employment is a hotel. After the first chord about seven lights turned on and people were looking out there window wondering what in the world was going on. So I had to throw my amp in the back off my car and take off. My amp is a Mesa Boogie Lonestar 212 100 watt combo. As Simonwalker said you don't need a 100 hundred watt amp. As others said before the superchamp is a good amp I would go for that.