My band lately has been getting down more originals. So far we have 5 originals, all which range from a metal anti-war song, a funk song, a punk song, a straight forward rock song, and another song that i describe as alternative sounding with a Cantrell/Wylde/Hendrix influenced solo. The problem is that once we get down more originals, I don't know what genre we can stick to. I narrowed it down that I really want to be like Cream/Hendrix Fuzzy guitar and driving bass, but yet do funk stuff with slap bass and wah guitar. Is it good that I write different types of songs influenced by different genres? I was thinking of combining the two, but I don't know how it would work out, help me please.
you want a sound that will appeal to your audience, you must decide how limited you want your audience to be. On one hand you can narrow it down to a one or two genre band and have a loyal fan base, or have a multi-genre band that has many fans but they only like you because of one song.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
you want a sound that will appeal to your audience, you must decide how limited you want your audience to be. On one hand you can narrow it down to a one or two genre band and have a loyal fan base, or have a multi-genre band that has many fans but they only like you because of one song.
Gear
Jekyll and Hyde
DD3 Delay
NS2 Noise gate
FAB chorus
Crybaby 535Q
HT-5 stack
1979 Gretsch BST 1000
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Schecter Gryphon
Fender American Strat
Taylor T5 Custom
www.facebook.com/fadeoutproductions
just say your genre is "jam band". meaning you guys just jam and play whatever come to mind.
sounds like you're trying to find your sound, not a genre. And chances are, your sound is something that doesn't exist yet, because you haven't developed it

For my band, it took us a while to even get started on ours, and it's still being developed. It's folk-rocky, but with lots of indie influences, and it's starting to get just a bit pop-influenced with some of our newer stuff.

Your sound is the single most important aspect of your band--don't expect it to come right away. And once it comes, don't expect it to stick around. Look at Radiohead. They've reinvented themselves more times than I care to remember.
I owe a ton of people critiques.

If you're one of them, please PM me.

I have trouble keeping track.