Poll: better?
Poll Options
View poll results: better?
Peavey 5150/6506 combo
12 52%
Peavey XXX combo
11 48%
Voters: 23.
Ok so I'm looking for a new amp for prog_metal(duh) and also death metal and just metal in general. I've narrowed it down to these two amps. Which one is better for what I want? I hear that the XXX is more versatile but the 5150 is better for metal.
For Prog, go with the XXX
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Combo 6505 all the wayyy.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by FRDesign
The XXX is very versatile and can play pretty much anything, while the 6505 is pretty much limited to high gain metal.

Nope. The XXX's cleans pretty much suck and can't do classic rock that well, and the 5150 can be used for rock and shred (look at Steve Morse, Ted Nugent and Blindside for example).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by FRDesign
The XXX is very versatile and can play pretty much anything, while the 6505 is pretty much limited to high gain metal.

Ya that's why I'm considering the XXX more and more. I play mostly metal but if I'm in a band situation I'll need the other channels also. Plus I just want that option because I don't want to play with distortion all the time either.
Quote by aznrockerdude
Nope. The XXX's cleans pretty much suck and can't do classic rock that well, and the 5150 can be used for rock and shred (look at Steve Morse, Ted Nugent and Blindside for example).

Lynyrd Skynyrd Uses XXX's live.
Quote by FRDesign
the 6505 is pretty much limited to high gain metal.

I don't agree with this at ALL.

6505/5150 ftw.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Ok we have a tie here

I have another question if I get one of these amps are they going to be to loud for bedroom practice?
Stop bumping.

The 6505 is pretty versatile with anything involving gain. It can do classic rock as well as it can do metal. The cleans aren't as bad as everyone says either.

It sounds pretty good a bedroom levels, but sounds a lot better louder obviously. I use mine for bedroom practice all the time.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Thanks man

Do you have the half stack or the combo? Also what is the difference between half stack and combo version?
I have the head and a 2x12.

The combo I believe is 60 watts, which in theory makes it better for bedroom practice than the head. Although I've not played the combo, I assume they sound the same, so it's just up to you whether you have enough room and energy for a head and cab.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
i would personally go for the XXX, it's slightly voiced different with lower gain. this will give you more clarity for your individual notes and picking methods, all necessary if you want a clear prog tone. i wouldn't want something with too much gain on tap because things tend to get a little muddy. the XXX doesn't have as much gain, but it's enough, but nothing a OD and/or EQ will fix. people who use all the gain on an 6505 with an OD are crazy.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.