I'm not usually one for asking others about computer problems, but I'm really at my wits ends. So here's the short version of the story.
My computer randomly over heats, and sometimes the hard drive will just completely stop working (resulting in a computer that's still on, but just a black screen, and absolutely no activity, and nothing I can do) the only way I can get back after the hard drive stops is a hard reset.

So I sent it in to get fixed, got it back, and now it overheats even MORE, and the hard drive just stopped again.
This model has the problem a lot, and no one so far knows what it is.
Do any of you guys have any idea?
Give us your specs.
And get a refund from the place that 'fixed' it.
You could probably benefit from getting a lot of cooling systems in your computer too. Try newegg.com if you want to buy any
Why don't you just use jumper settings to lower the speed of the cpu so it is cooler?
Quote by Van Halen Man
Van Halen Man Is Awesome

Quote by Steve Martin
I believe that sex is the most beautiful, natural, and wholesome thing that money can buy.
try opening the side of your computer. Those metal (or whatever they're made out of) sheets on the side of the computer, take those off and see if it stops.

I doubt it'd work but worth a try, and won't cost you anything.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
check to make sure ur fans are running when the comp is on. like stated, open it up and make sure ALL the fans are running.

and are u sure its the hard drive failing and not the video card?
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
Well it's a laptop, so just taking off the side is a little difficult.
And it's unpredictable, so sometimes it could be on for like...hours before it could black out.
This time it took 2 weeks-ish.

My computer is an Acer Extensa 5420
AMD Turion dual Core 1.9GHz
ATI Radeon Express 1250 (although I think they replaced it with a 1200 *shrug*)
2GB Ram
160gig hdd
Quote by xxunder-takerxx
check to make sure ur fans are running when the comp is on. like stated, open it up and make sure ALL the fans are running.

and are u sure its the hard drive failing and not the video card?

There's only one fan (ridiculous) and it does run, on and off, and I can't take control of the fan with a program like speedfan, unfortunately.

It's possible it's the video card. But when it stops, the FN buttons work, and it makes a sound if I unplug the AC adapter, but otherwise I can't do anything. Music stops and such, too.
Getting myself a cooling fan (which I've been planning for a while) will fix the overheating, but it's not the overheating thats causing the computer to randomly stop responding.
it's been sitting at like 118 degrees sometimes and it'll shut down.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good average temperature for a laptop?
Quote by floppypick
try opening the side of your computer. Those metal (or whatever they're made out of) sheets on the side of the computer, take those off and see if it stops.

I doubt it'd work but worth a try, and won't cost you anything.

dont do that. it will kill the airflow.

you could either do with a brand new computer, or, new hardware to cool it down.
sounds like an overall heating problem. make sure there arent a gagillion wires in the way, maybe use newegg.com to find some new fans or heatsinks for your processor.

also, try setting the jumpers on your hard drive to a slower setting. that might solve the whole freezing thing.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
Quote by identityxcrysis
Getting myself a cooling fan (which I've been planning for a while) will fix the overheating, but it's not the overheating thats causing the computer to randomly stop responding.
it's been sitting at like 118 degrees sometimes and it'll shut down.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a good average temperature for a laptop?

disregard my last post, hadnt read down.

118 Fahrenheit is WAY too hot. and honestly, for a laptop, id just get a refund from the manufacturer if at all possible.
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
i would say that its probably your processor thats overheating. Try getting a new heatsink. Or you can also try those tray like things that you rest your laptop on that has fans on the top of it.
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
I say pwnd/owned alot, and n00b even more frequently.

It comes up every few seconds actually. I actually said "imma pwn j00 n00b" to my girlfriend i think. She had no idea what i wastalking about, so i pwnt her n00b ass.
NONO.

My mistake 118 Fahrenheit!
In Celsius it's lately been around 55
Websites say thats not really bad
But the computer feels really hot, and every program that I use has 55 set as a warning tempt