I have an old piesafe that i would like to convert into an amp, for metal most likely and i have considered putting a subwoofer into it, any ideas on how to accomplish this? anyone who has experience building amps or putting them together? i wouldnt mind buying a head for it, so i geuss i really just want to know how hard it would be to install speakers (and possibly a sub) into a piesafe
its three tiered, and i can get pics if you need, which im sure you will
Brigardier of the Seven String E.R.G. Legion
Fiddles
Ibby RG7321 lundgren M7 bridge, blaze7 neck
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Last edited by highlordmugfug at Jul 26, 2008,
Um...I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what is a piesafe? I thought I read it wrong at first but I have no idea what you mean.

EDIT: I just asked my gf and she sorta kinda explained it but pics would be lovely.
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
Last edited by a4lrocker at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by a4lrocker
Um...I'm sorry if this is a stupid question but what is a piesafe? I thought I read it wrong at first but I have no idea what you mean.

EDIT: I just asked my gf and she sorta kinda explained it but pics would be lovely.

no its not stupid, i didnt expect everyone to know what one was, ill get pics on here probably by tommorow, i have to work a 12 hour shift today, so check back on sunday
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Sooo...what's a piesafe?

It's not hard to install speakers in an amp cab or combo, so I'd think it's not hard to install them in a piesafe, either, even though idk what it is.
Quote by Invader Jim
Sooo...what's a piesafe?

It's not hard to install speakers in an amp cab or combo, so I'd think it's not hard to install them in a piesafe, either, even though idk what it is.

http://colorbookstudio.com/images/250_pie_safe_fixed.JPG
that and this
http://www.jandjwoodworks.com/pie_safe_001.jpg
are pie safes
its just an old southern US thing that held pies, mine is three tiered and has a door for each tier, i was thinking about putting a head in the top one, maybe putting one together, or finding a good one that would fit, and then speakers in the other two, or maybe three speakers, and a head on top, buy or build, havent decided, dont know how complicated it would be to put together, probably too complicated for me as ive never done it before
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Still a bit different than what I had imagined but I know what it is now. My parents used to have one when I was little. I think if you made the mesh part solid and mounted a speaker on it that would be infinitely badass.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Quote by a4lrocker
Still a bit different than what I had imagined but I know what it is now. My parents used to have one when I was little. I think if you made the mesh part solid and mounted a speaker on it that would be infinitely badass.

what do you mean solid? right now mine is like a metal screen, with holes just big enough that if you stick a sharpened pencil in it, it get stopped about 1/4 or 1/8 or something like that of an inch before you get to like the yellow part of the pencil, assuming you are using a yellow pencil
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Last edited by highlordmugfug at Jul 27, 2008,
You may even be able to attach it like it is now but what I meant was take out the metal screen and put some wood in instead.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Quote by a4lrocker
You may even be able to attach it like it is now but what I meant was take out the metal screen and put some wood in instead.

if i put wood over it how would i install the speakers on it? im sorry i dont think i understand what you mean
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
...Cut a hole in it. Sorry, I have a tendency to confuse people a lot. As long as the metal wasn't really rattly then that would kinda look cool if you just left it in.
Quote by Peradactyl

Quote by The_Paranoia
Quote by highlordmugfug
http://colorbookstudio.com/images/250_pie_safe_fixed.JPG
that and this
http://www.jandjwoodworks.com/pie_safe_001.jpg
are pie safes
its just an old southern US thing that held pies, mine is three tiered and has a door for each tier, i was thinking about putting a head in the top one, maybe putting one together, or finding a good one that would fit, and then speakers in the other two, or maybe three speakers, and a head on top, buy or build, havent decided, dont know how complicated it would be to put together, probably too complicated for me as ive never done it before

Oddly enough, I've lived in the South my entire life and have never heard the term 'piesafe'.

By power of deduction, though, I figured that it was for the storage of pies.
Quote by Invader Jim
Oddly enough, I've lived in the South my entire life and have never heard the term 'piesafe'.

By power of deduction, though, I figured that it was for the storage of pies.

dont feel bad, its an "old" south thing, as in a long time ago, i dont think they are very popular now, or at least not as widespread, your mods are very cool, i would love to be able to do stuff like that, any suggestions as to books or websites i should check out?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by a4lrocker
...Cut a hole in it. Sorry, I have a tendency to confuse people a lot. As long as the metal wasn't really rattly then that would kinda look cool if you just left it in.

yeah i thought that, only problem would be the doors rattlig or coming open, they are only held closed by magnets right now, im sure i could find some quick way to make them stay shut and not rattle, im just focusing on the installing everything and what im going to do for a head at the moment

EDIT:sorry for the double post
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by highlordmugfug
dont feel bad, its an "old" south thing, as in a long time ago, i dont think they are very popular now, or at least not as widespread, your mods are very cool, i would love to be able to do stuff like that, any suggestions as to books or websites i should check out?

My mods?
I haven't read anything in this thread really, but from the pics and the title I have to say this sounds awesome.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by Invader Jim
My mods?

modifications, your little tape amp and all that, very cool
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by MetalGS3SE
I haven't read anything in this thread really, but from the pics and the title I have to say this sounds awesome.

thanks , i hope it ends up good, and that i find out how to do it all
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by highlordmugfug
thanks , i hope it ends up good, and that i find out how to do it all

In my mind I don't imagine it to be that difficult. I think the hard part will be trying to fit a head in there, but I'm sure it will work out for you.

I P R O G

Oh, that. Yeah, I ended up destroying that thing...

IDK of any electronics tutorial sites.

Search this forum for "UG Electronics Official Thread".

Also try Google.

(FYI, there's an edit button)...
Quote by MetalGS3SE
In my mind I don't imagine it to be that difficult. I think the hard part will be trying to fit a head in there, but I'm sure it will work out for you.

thats really the most complicated part, unless anyone knows of a really good head that is square and fits perfectly in the space i have , or has any info as to how to put one together
Quote by Invader Jim
.(FYI, there's an edit button)...

orly?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
You could make a head to fit in that. Instead of having 1 long row of knobs have 2 short rows of knobs for the controls. And 2 linked PC boards inside for the electronics instead of the usual 1 long one. You might be able to some sort of set up like randall does with the little modules for the preamps or make it so it uses those modules. A tube power amp would be to hard to make. And they make short reverb tanks. Put a little computer muffin fan in the back side to keep it cool. For the speakers get a long piece of plywood and glue or screw it to the door with holes for your speakers and screw the door shut so it wont rattle.
I was picturing something smaller as a pie safe something along the lines of bread box. Isnt much of a "safe" tho as its a simple matter to open the door and sneak a slice when mom or grandma isnt looking. Be hard to blame it on the dog tho as they wouldnt be able to open the door.
It is an interesting idea as it would take up alot less space than a regular amp. And some of the speakers would be off the floor to project sound. I have one of those old console stereos that doesnt work well hmmm I wonder.
Quote by highlordmugfug
thats really the most complicated part, unless anyone knows of a really good head that is square and fits perfectly in the space i have , or has any info as to how to put one together

You could perhaps take the parts out of a regular head and reposition them in the space you have? I don't really know much about that but it may work.

Edit: Or do what Tackleberry said

I P R O G

Last edited by MetalGS3SE at Jul 27, 2008,
Quote by Tackleberry
You could make a head to fit in that. Instead of having 1 long row of knobs have 2 short rows of knobs for the controls. And 2 linked PC boards inside for the electronics instead of the usual 1 long one. You might be able to some sort of set up like randall does with the little modules for the preamps or make it so it uses those modules. A tube power amp would be to hard to make. And they make short reverb tanks. Put a little computer muffin fan in the back side to keep it cool. For the speakers get a long piece of plywood and glue or screw it to the door with holes for your speakers and screw the door shut so it wont rattle.
I was picturing something smaller as a pie safe something along the lines of bread box. Isnt much of a "safe" tho as its a simple matter to open the door and sneak a slice when mom or grandma isnt looking. Be hard to blame it on the dog tho as they wouldnt be able to open the door.
It is an interesting idea as it would take up alot less space than a regular amp. And some of the speakers would be off the floor to project sound. I have one of those old console stereos that doesnt work well hmmm I wonder.

i would love to do all this, but i wouldnt know where to start i guess id have to look up some stuff on building heads online, i also firgured that screwing the doors shut would be the best way to prevent rattle, but i thought that if there was a way to make it where they lock closed tight, so i could open the front to mess with the speakers if need be, that it would easier to fix it when/if it breaks, but yeah, this sounds like the best option except for maybe...

Quote by MetalGS3SE
You could perhaps take the parts out of a regular head and reposition them in the space you have? I don't really know much about that but it may work.

i considered this but i havent ever taken a "nice" amp head apart to see how it is put together, so i dont really know how id d this, or if it woud be possible
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Last edited by highlordmugfug at Jul 27, 2008,
QUOTE]
i live in kentucky too, whereabouts are you?
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by highlordmugfug
yeah i thought that, only problem would be the doors rattlig or coming open, they are only held closed by magnets right now, im sure i could find some quick way to make them stay shut and not rattle, im just focusing on the installing everything and what im going to do for a head at the moment

EDIT:sorry for the double post

i would suggest this to keep the doors close,

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=80928-1277-V2000&lpage=none
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by metalwarrior40

kind ghetto though, but the main problem is i dont thing these, unless i put them on so they only close really f*cking tight, is it will still rattle
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
bump
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Biddely widdely bump bump? Anyone know of any good/reliable websites I could use for building a head/and putting speakers and everything together/in it.
Sorry, I went a little "/" crazy.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Ceriatone has lots of kits for building your own amp, so I'm sure you could modify plans from one of their kits
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
i don't know if its been answered yet, but you can put speakers in there, you will need an input jack for the head to plug into. Or you can put the head in there but it has to be in a aluminium/ steel enclosure...
Not only will this be a cool amp, but you can store pies in it for after the gig!
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by LeviMan_2001
just canibalize a practice amp or somthing, speaker goes in door and amp goes in above cabinet. i sugest rubber pads to prevent rattle.

I like the rubber pad idea, but I'd rather have something a little nicer as opposed to a bigger, streyched out version of something crappy.
Quote by Shinozoku
Ceriatone has lots of kits for building your own amp, so I'm sure you could modify plans from one of their kits

I'll czech them out. Thanks.
Quote by guitarcam123
i don't know if its been answered yet, but you can put speakers in there, 1. you will need an input jack for the head to plug into. Or you can put the head in there but 2. it has to be in a aluminium/ steel enclosure...

1. I knew this
2. I didn't think about this. Thanks man.
I'll post something else after I check out Ceriatone.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Last edited by highlordmugfug at Dec 5, 2008,
Quote by LeviMan_2001
just canibalize a practice amp or somthing, speaker goes in door and amp goes in above cabinet. i sugest rubber pads to prevent rattle.

I can double post all I want, it's my thread . It's a three level pie safe... I'll put up a picture sometime tommorow. I have to work from 9-9 today and I've got other stuff to do already.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by highlordmugfug

Hey Hey, careful about that old stuff. I happen to know what a pie safe is. I don't think they were limited to the south. Most that I have seen have been "Shaker style" . But if you install a baffle been the metal cover it should be no problem. The Only concern I might have would be rattles. If the doors don't shut tight enough, the tin screen isn't secured tight or the joints are starting to separate. Pics are a must when you are done.
Pics of the Pie safe tommorow. Pics of me being done will be a while. I've got lot going on at the moment so this will be low on the list of priorities.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
Quote by guitarcam123

Im going away for a week tomorrow morning, no pics for me

Meh, I was busy, pics later today if possible. So much to do. When I get back from my final today I'll try to get it done. Sorry for the wait anyone who cares.
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs
Peavey 2x12
I finally got around to taking pictures of it and now my camera and card aren't showing any pictures when I connect to my computer. I'll keep trying and hopefully have pics up here soon.

EDIT:pics of the piesafe I mean, it's still full of incense and DVD's at the moment .
Fiddles
Ibby AX7521
Ibby RT452
Ibby RGIR20FE
Peedahls
I'll get back to you.
Heeds
Crate GT3500h
Sunn Concert PA
Crabs