Poll: Is age a valid excuse for sucking at guitar?
Poll Options
View poll results: Is age a valid excuse for sucking at guitar?
Yes
14 25%
No
43 75%
Voters: 57.
Well, I was just on Youtube looking through videos of people playing, a lot of them were fairly great players, a lot better than I could do. However, every now and then, I'd get to a video where the person playing is absolutely terrible, and their excuse would be "well I'm just a kid."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMObNI0vNGg

That video being an example. After seeing those retards arguing in the comments, I got to wondering myself. Does age give you an excuse to suck? I mean surely, if a guy was 22 and only played 6 months, he's still going to be as bad as the 12 year old who was playing for 6 months? I mean all guitarists progress at a different pace, but just generally speaking.

Thoughts?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Last edited by Colgate Total at Jul 26, 2008,
Age isn't really an excuse if you're not playing well.

However, the time spent playing is what matters, for the most part. There are exceptions to this.
Quote by Teh Forest King
A kid took a fetal pig during pig dissection, put a napkin on it as a cape, wrote "super pig" on it, then threw it out the window onto the greenhouse below, yelling "super pig, blast off!". He failed the pig lab
Quote by RPGoof
Shouldn't matter unless they haven't hit puberty and have tiny hands.
Though some adults have tiny hands.

Puberty is irrelevant, tiny hands however would make a difference.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Quote by Colgate Total
Well, I was just on Youtube looking through videos of people playing, a lot of them were fairly great players, a lot better than I could do. However, every now and then, I'd get to a video where the person playing is absolutely terrible, and their excuse would be "well I'm just a kid."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMObNI0vNGg

That video being an example. After seeing those retards arguing in the comments, I got to wondering myself. Does age give you an excuse to suck? I mean surely, if a guy was 22 and only played 6 months, he's still going to be as bad as the 12 year old who was playing for 6 months? I mean all guitarists progress at different levels, but just generally speaking.

Thoughts?

I don't really believe there are "levels". You define your own image of how you play guitar, and that cannot be measured. On topic, age doesn't matter. Look up youtube and you can see the video of a 10 year old playing most of Crazy Train, whereas if you look at some other videos of teens playing songs, they might not be as good as the younger person. Vice-versa, a dedicated teacher might be better overall than say, a 6 year old?

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by Pauldapro
I don't really believe there are "levels".

Ah, meant speeds. My bad, I'll change that.
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

No. I don't think that age is the reason people sound terrible. I think it's because people try to play things that are too difficult for them.
Age makes no difference. It's your discipline that comes down to it more than anything. If you have the gift of music, then it'll just make you quicker to pick things up. Still, practice practice practice.
hell no age doesn't matter. so what if i want to make sweet, tender, (occasionally rough) anal love to a 10 year old? If i get her consent then it shouldn't matter that i'm 16. I hate the ****ing judicial system.
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Quote by Colgate Total
Ah, meant speeds. My bad, I'll change that.

Oh and if they do have small hands (some young kids have big hands, I know from some first hand experiences) they could just get a guitar with a thinner neck, like maybe a fender or an ibanez.

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha
Quote by patrickrh
hell no age doesn't matter. so what if i want to make sweet, tender, (occasionally rough) anal love to a 10 year old? If i get her consent then it shouldn't matter that i'm 16. I hate the ****ing judicial system.

Age doesn't matter because age =/= skill.
Quote by patrickrh

BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Anyone else read the title, and think this was going to be about something totally different???
Quote by Pauldapro
Oh and if they do have small hands (some young kids have big hands, I know from some first hand experiences) they could just get a guitar with a thinner neck, like maybe a fender or an ibanez.

I hope that by Fender, you meant Jackson, because fender necks aren't all that thin.
Gear:

-Guitars-
Esp/LTD JH-200
Ibanez RG2EX2
Yamaha FD01

-Amps-
Marshall MGDFX250 (It was a Gift)
Peavey Vypyr 15 watt

-Effects-
Digitech DF-7
Quote by garrett5
Anyone else read the title, and think this was going to be about something totally different???

Nope... you = dumb
If you're in a war, instead of throwing a hand grenade at the enemy, throw one of those small pumpkins. Maybe it'll make everyone think how stupid war is, and while they are thinking, you can throw a real grenade at them.
Quote by patrickrh

Quote by Lordbob
I hope that by Fender, you meant Jackson, because fender necks aren't all that thin.

Well Jacksons are really nice, but most of them (or at least the ones I've seen) are all V shaped, and it looks quite threatening to a beginner . Some Fenders are quite big, but some of them are thin necked. My epiphone is got a HUGE neck (my hands are large) compared to a Fender's so that's why I suggested them

INTOLERANCE IS IGNORANCE

Quote by kosmic
Holy Moses.
haha