Hey, I have a Gibson Les Paul classic, and was curious about a couple things.

First off, EMGs are mainly used just for metal? If they are, I don't think I will put them in, but if they are also pretty nice for other types of music, such as alternative, and just general rock, I may consider it

And second off, if EMGs wouldnt really do well for other types of music, what would you guys suggest for a pickup upgrade for my Les Paul. This is all just curiousity, I may look into getting new pickups some day, just trying to get some ideas
My Gear

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Dean Custon Zone Electric Guitar
Bestler Semi-Hollow Body
Crybaby Classic
Boss DD-6 Delay pedal
Crate MX10
Boss Distortion Pedal
EMGs are mainly used for metal, although there will be people on here telling you that you can use them for any genre. Personally I think they sound like total crap and they shouldn't be used by anyone!
what don't you like about the sound you have now?

what amp are you using?
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
not all EMGs.
most EMGs are geared twords metal, but that doesnt mean you can use em for other stuff.
for example, the EMG 60 is the most amazing sounding blues/clean pickup i have ever herd in a humbucker form.
Fender MIA Standard Strat
ESP LTD Viper 407
Epiphone SG
Starcaster by Fender(modded with Bill Lawrence l-500-xl)
PEAVEY 6505+ (FJA transistor modd)
Peavey 65 watt transtube studio-112
Marshall 1960AV
Vader 2x12
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 band EQ
Quote by thellamaking
Buy some Bareknuckles.

EMGs are pretty much average for anything but Metal.

Not everyone has $400 lying around just for a set of pickups.

I recommend the EMG 60's, 89's, 89R, 81TW

That is if you want EMG's

A seymour duncan 59, Jazz, or JB combo of sorts would be a good option, although, for just a hair more you can buy some SUHR humbuckers, which eat duncans alive.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
EMGs are generally better suited to metal.

Personally if I had a gibson, I don't know why I'd change the pick ups on a £1,200 guitar. But, that's just me.

I'd personally go for the SH-4 JB Bridge and SH-2n Jazz Necks, versatile, they sound niiice.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
Pink Floyd's guitarist uses EMGs,and their tone is great!
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
Quote by Ghold125
emgs=metal only...

thats a very ignorant statement.....i have EMGs can play anything i want...it takes tweeking like always..EMGs were made in the 70's for blues players

id still suggest getting some SD's sh4 and sh1 set
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
SH-4 JB/ SH-1 59 set OR Sh-14 Custom 5/ SH-1 59 set.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
i think EMGs sound incredibly sterile and characterless. i played a 2nd hand american made fender telecaster that some idiot had put EMGs in and it sounded awful. i wouldn't recommend doing the same thing to your les paul.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by MESAexplorer
Not everyone has $400 lying around just for a set of pickups.

Well considering he doesn't have a location stated, he could well have been English which means it's not $400, it's like £110.

Even still, they're totally worth it.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
EMG's are used in jazz guys...not just metal. I have an 85/81 set in my ibanez and they sound pretty decent whatever I play, not just through my 6505+ either.

People assume they are primarily metal pickups as they have a very high output. What they don't realise is that if you put high output pickups through a high gain metal amp, a lot of the time some pickups which are of a lower output sound just as good, if not better than the high output pickups (Lamb of God have Duncan JB's I THINK - not a massive fan, but it demonstrates my point).

I'd suggest some BKP's though - much more articulate than EMG's. If you want active pickups then they Seymour Duncan Livewires might be worth a look...lots of people say that they're better than EMG but the majority of people haven't actually tried them so be sure to try before you buy.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
I play heavy music (garage,thrash,grunge sometime punky,sometimes prog) and I couldn't find a tone I loved out of the EMGs i put in my soloist. I found them to be very thin sounding. Harmonics were great and distortion was seething on the higher registers, so was sustain, but the creaminess of my tube amp was stifled and I couldn't get used to it. They IMHO were not versatile. I have a set of dimarzios-super distortion in the bridge and tone zone in the neck....Simply put, the most versatile set up I have ever played. Great harmonics, great chug a lug palm muting, very balanced (low-mid-high) sound that can do anything!
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Well, I know they won't do clean as well as passive, because the output. You would have to roll off the volume a bit on the guitar.

You should maybe try out a guitar with them on, to see what they're like.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
What's with all the EMG hate tonight?
Anyone else care to jump on the bandwagon?

Honestly, I bet half of the people saying EMG's suck haven't tried them with an 18v mod. There average pick ups without the mod, but amazing with it.

Signatures are overrated.
I did the 2 -9v trick and yes I admit, that did great things, but still just not my sound. They are not for everyone. I am not saying they sound Bad, just missing a certain growl I like.
Jackson Dxmg w/dimarzios up n down
Jackson DK2t
Carvin DC127
ValveKing 100 head
5150 head
Recto-Verb 112
1960a Marshal 4x12
FFFDFEFRFKFFF,jeremylp,atreyurock9, noahfor, Vangkm, Used666, and sgtshak- great sellers/traders!!
Quote by fuzzyDXMG
I did the 2 -9v trick and yes I admit, that did great things, but still just not my sound. They are not for everyone. I am not saying they sound Bad, just missing a certain growl I like.

Yeah, and I respect that. Different strokes for different blokes.
But when people jump to the conclusion that everything has to be amazing out of the box with no modifications, and when everybody jumps on a bandwagon of hate, it pisses me off.

Hell, I have a High end amp head, and I've had to replace a fair few components to get a better sound.
If people don't like EMG's I suggest they do the 18v mod. Try it out, and see if it's better for them.
Signatures are overrated.
Wooo go Single Coils!!!!11!

But on a note that actually matches this topic..

IMO stick with the Gibson pickups. Great tones for most styles. INCLUDING metal. Sure, not as good as EMGs for metal, but still decent.
Is it weird that I named my guitar Emily???

"Yeah, Strats can often produce a lot of hum. The cure is to turn it up a whole crapload" - Joel
Quote by Moe.
What's with all the EMG hate tonight?
Anyone else care to jump on the bandwagon?

Honestly, I bet half of the people saying EMG's suck haven't tried them with an 18v mod. There average pick ups without the mod, but amazing with it.

its hardly a bandwagon. i don't think anyone here is saying "they suck". I, for one, am not saying they suck. i'm just saying i don't like them and stating what i didn't like about them - and that was that they sounded very bland, to me. There are probably better active pickups out there.

btw, i think that telecaster i was referring to had the 18v mod you speak of, but it was well over a year ago that i tried it and i was hardly blown away so i'm not entirely certain, but it does ring some bells regarding the shop i tried it in.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.