I've been lurking around here for a while, finally decided to make an account.

I'm looking to get a good mid-range amp that I can use for practice and jamming with friends, as the amp I currently have doesn't have the greatest tone and isn't really loud enough in a group setting. I'm looking primarily at Ampeg or Ashdown, and maybe GK (although I don't really like their look). I know Carvin is favored heavily around here but I like a warmer sound more than a transparent one.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Ashdown MAG 300 or 600 (interestingly, Musician's Friend has them listed for the same price... seems like a no-brainer to go with the 600). The price is right, and I from what I've read the sound is good too. Plus, the glowing VU meter is nifty. As for the cab, I'd probably go with a 410 of some kind (likely Ashdown as well), with the intent of adding a 115 or getting an 810 in the future when I need it.

Anybody got any information about those MAG heads, or suggestions of other amps to consider? I'm not so much worried about total cost as I am value and getting quality equipment (though I'd like to spend less than $1000).

Some possibly pertinent information:
- Current amp is a Peavey Basic 112 combo (150w). It's a few years old, got it used for $70; great deal and a good amp for what it is, but I'm ready to upgrade.
- My bass is an MIM Ash-body Jazz (heavy, but I love it).
- I mostly play covers of songs I like, usually pop-punk or modern/classic rock with a bit of RHCP slap thrown in (though I'm still learning).
I was going to exploit their pricing too
but the bank wouldn't let me spend 500 for some reason (I was planning on a head and cab)
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
hey i was thinkin bout getting an ashwood EB 15-180... are they good? and is that price good for one?