Page 1 of 2
My friend Derrick (nickname Heroin Bob) let me borrow a DVD documentary about punk in America called "American Hardcore". It discussed the general history of the hardcore movement in the 80s, and in the end, briefly touched on the fall of good music in the new age. The DVD featured interviews by hardcore pioneers such as Ian MacKaye (Minor Threat/Fugazi), Henry Rollins (Black Flag), H.R (Bad Brains), Dr. Know (Bad Brains), and Darryl Jennifer (also Bad Brains). A lot of live footage, of various hardcore shows, was also included.

Anyways, while being a gangsta metalhead classic rocker who enjoys smooth jazz, watching this film actually makes me want to live in the 80s. I want to experience the hardcore scene. It seems like what music should truly be about.

Anyways, who else has seem this film? Any thoughts? Did you like it? Do you like hardcore? Etcetera?

What I learned from this documentary
- It's for the fun, not the money
- A living can be made with no income
- Henry Rollins is one kickass mother-f*cker!
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
They weren't homeless they were just Grunge.
Was a good documentary. A lot of good photage and shows. Bad Brains and Minor Thread scenes were awesome.
American Hardcore is awesome and SLC is a great movie and therefore your friend (Heroin Bob) rocks.
Quote by thefitz
Interesting. It turns out that there are people on the forum who play an upright bass. I'll make a note of that.

*makes note*

*puts note on wall*

*stares at note for a minute*

*sits back down and resumes doing what I was doing*
I'd rather live in the Bay Area Thrash Scene.

You ever watch the Henry Rollins show? He has some kick ass artists on there.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
I seen it and even the pioneers said it themselves.

PUNK IS DEAD! They even hate the so called Hardcore punk of today and how bull **** it is.

It was a great documentary.
Quote by lolcats
Any music genre with the affix -core puts me off immediately.

But hardcore is the original... so the affix does not immediately associate the genre with mediocrity.
Quote by herman ri2
I seen it and even the pioneers said it themselves.

PUNK IS DEAD! They even hate the so called Hardcore punk of today and how bull **** it is.

It was a great documentary.

Then why is there a huge punk scene today? And has been for 30 years.
Quote by The Silent Fool
But hardcore is the original... so the affix does not immediately associate the genre with mediocrity.

An intelligent reply!? I may look into it then.
Last edited by lolcats at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by The Silent Fool

Exactly what i was going to reply with.

Haven't seen it yet, but i definitely have planned on it for a long time. The bands of the original hardcore movement are awesome, im sure i will love the movie.
When I hit 'em from the back, I got them mami's saying dammit man.

When I put it in their mouth, I got them mami's saying duh-huh-huh-muhh.
I like some 80s hardcore (Minor Threat, Middle Class, Jerry's Kids, whatever), but I feel like I'm crazy cause I'm the only one who realizes how disgusting the hardcore scene was. I mean on one hand, there's the tightly woven community and music for the sake of music, but these guys also pipe bombed people's houses for fun, made women whore themselves out to be in the scene, and beat the shit out of each other, and that's just what the bands would do, don't even get me started on the fans.
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP
Then why is there a huge punk scene today? And has been for 30 years.

REAL punk doesn't have a huge scene anymore.

mallcore hardcore does...
Quote by herman ri2

I know this not to be true.
Quote by NGD1313
I like some 80s hardcore (Minor Threat, Middle Class, Jerry's Kids, whatever), but I feel like I'm crazy cause I'm the only one who realizes how disgusting the hardcore scene was. I mean on one hand, there's the tightly woven community and music for the sake of music, but these guys also pipe bombed people's houses for fun, made women whore themselves out to be in the scene, and beat the shit out of each other, and that's just what the bands would do, don't even get me started on the fans.

that sounds gay and not entirely about the music at all... i doubt there will be a day when it is "entirely" about the music
Quote by herman ri2

And you know this how?
Quote by herman ri2
Very very true.

+1, I don't think PRESSURE.DROP listens to LCHC on GTA4
Quote by hostilekid
shadesofanger, you're my hero.

Quote by GoldenBlues
So I was wondering, are black people capable feeling love? I mean can their brains comprehend that kind of emotion, or are they not programmed that way.
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP
And you know this how?

Going to gig, doing 2 gigs in a punk band, documentaries, interviews , Reading articals, and seeing for my own to eyes.

Enough for you?

Dude, when the pioneers say Punk is dead, Punk is dead. They know it is dead and clearly you don't.

Punk is The Clash, Sex Pistol, Iggy, Minutemen, The Descendents, Circle Jerks, The Adolescents, and Bad Brains.

Bands like Sum 41,Sense Failed, or any other pop punk and mall core bands aren't REAL PUNK.
Last edited by herman ri2 at Jul 26, 2008,
No one here is talking about pop punk or pop rock. As far as Clash, Sex Pistols, Descendents, Circle Jerks, Adolescents and Bad Brains ... still play today or in modern times[Clash being Strummer and the Mescaleros].
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP
No one here is talking about pop punk or pop rock. As far as Clash, Sex Pistols, Descendents, Circle Jerks, Adolescents and Bad Brains ... still play today or in modern times[Clash being Strummer and the Mescaleros].

*facepalm*

I don't think the point is get through to you.
Pressure drop, all were saying is todays punk blows. its made up of bands like blink 182, green day and avril lavigne.

the punk bands of yesteryear were epic, the ones today suck
You just gave me a list of bands that 'said punk was dead' in which none of them have ever said and in fact still contribute to the punk scene, tour, and make albums still. Along with Buzzcocks. GBH. Germs[return], etc..

Quote by Aidan93
Pressure drop, all were saying is todays punk blows. its made up of bands like blink 182, green day and avril lavigne.

the punk bands of yesteryear were epic, the ones today suck

Thats not punk music. That is pop rock. Having nothing to do with the punk scene today or punk music at all.
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP
You just gave me a list of bands that 'said punk was dead' in which none of them have ever said and in fact still contribute to the punk scene, tour, and make albums still. Along with Buzzcocks. GBH. Germs[return], etc..

Thats not punk music. That is pop rock. Having nothing to do with the punk scene today or punk music at all.

No.

I gave you a list of REAL PUNK BANDS!

Dude, watch the American Hardcore Documentary because it is all there and gives good in site.
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP

thats the point. they arn't punk, because punk is dead.
however they call themselves punk in an attempt to set themselves side from the pop rock sounds which they mimic
Quote by Aidan93
thats the point. they arn't punk, because punk is dead.
however they call themselves punk in an attempt to set themselves side from the pop rock sounds which they mimic

Once again. They aren't punk because they don't play punk music. They are pop rock. Because they play pop rock music.

A band like GBH is punk. Because they play punk music. And yes they still tour. As are hundreds of other amazing punk acts.

Quote by herman ri2
No.

I gave you a list of REAL PUNK BANDS!

Dude, watch the American Hardcore Documentary because it is all there and gives good in site.

Really.

I have seen American Hardcore several times. Theres also an other documentary after this one called ' Punks Not Dead ' taking off from the end of American Hardcore and is a documentary about the punk scene today.

And once again that '
Quote by herman ri2
list of REAL PUNK BANDS!
still tour and contribute to the punk scene today. So those
Quote by herman ri2
REAL PUNK BANDS!
are an example of how
Quote by herman ri2
REAL PUNK
is still alive.
Last edited by PRESSURE.DROP at Jul 26, 2008,
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP
Once again. They aren't punk because they don't play punk music. They are pop rock. Because they play pop rock music.

A band like GBH is punk. Because they play punk music. And yes they still tour. As are hundreds of other amazing punk acts.

Really.

I have seen American Hardcore several times. Theres also an other documentary after this one called ' Punks Not Dead ' taking off from the end of American Hardcore and is a documentary about the punk scene today.

And once again that ' still tour and contribute to the punk scene today. So those are an example of how is still alive.

Really nothing more that I can say.

If you think Punk is still alive than it is.

Done fighting a brick wall.
Quote by PRESSURE.DROP
I'm old enough to legally buy a 40oz of Olde English and bust it over your face.

You remind me of a sexually frustrated 11 year that can't control his anger.
Quote by herman ri2
You remind me of a sexually frustrated 11 year that can control his anger.

Wut?
Page 1 of 2