First off, before I begin, I would like to apologize if there is already a thread like this, because I searched and didn't find anything like it. Also, I apologize if this is a n00b question. So, without further ado, the question:

Lately, I have been trying to make a better practice routine (I've been playing for about 3 months) and I feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I've been researching online, and have read that using a metronome at a slower speed will help you to master the song, and help increase your speed. This all makes sense, but I have no clue how to practice with a metronome. I don't know what the numbers mean on it, and I don't know how to break down a song to a beat, to play it along with the metronome. Any tips/links/advice?

Also, will playing along with a song in Guitar Pro at a lower tempo be equally effective?

Thanks in advance.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Custom (Alpine White)
Roland Microcube

Hoping to get a Strat or Tele next.
Turn on the metronome on GP when you make it play(of course at a slow pace). Personnaly I think just the drum alone helps a whole lot, but the metronome is much better considering you can use one without a drum track, and it gives you the rythmn.
Quote by MH400
a girl on the interwebz?

You have 2 options.

1. Tits.
2. GTFO.

Quote by Spike6sic6
Turn on the metronome on GP when you make it play(of course at a slow pace). Personnaly I think just the drum alone helps a whole lot, but the metronome is much better considering you can use one without a drum track, and it gives you the rythmn.

EDIT: My response made no sense.
Thanks for your response, I'll try that.
Gear:
Roland Microcube

Last edited by mclies at Jul 26, 2008,
Just set the metronome (4 beats per measure) to a speed that you feel comfortable with, when playing whatever it is you want to practice. Then increase over time...or check here on UG (tabs) how fast a song is supposed to be played and start lower than the suggested speed
[img]http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3760/356h356h365pc1.png[/img]
Die Ruhe vor dem Sturm.
Quote by HuckIt
Just set the metronome (4 beats per measure) to a speed that you feel comfortable with, when playing whatever it is you want to practice. Then increase over time...or check here on UG (tabs) how fast a song is supposed to be played and start lower than the suggested speed

How do I know how long to hold the notes?
Gear:
Roland Microcube

Set a tempo on the metronome and start it. It beeps right. Play a single note every time it beeps. Now you're playing a quarter note per beat. Then play the note two times evenly spaces between each beep. That's eight notes. Do it four times and it's sixteeth notes. You sould evenly play the notes however that's how you'll know how long you need to hold them.

The most important and overlooked aspect is that you should tap your foot or head along with each beep to gain an inner sense of rhythm. If you just play with the metronome you become a slave to it or a drummer. You should be able to immitate certain tempo clicks at some time. Please don't overlook this aspect.
Let's go back to five billion bpm and see how good i am.
Read some basic music reading/theory lessons in the lessons section and that will probably solve the majority of your problems.
Thanks you two.
Attack, I will start to tap my foot or nod my head to the beat, thanks for that tip.

Flow of soul, I will check into those.

Thanks again for your helpful responses.
Gear:
Roland Microcube