in terms of the whole overdrive market, it is very meh (sorry thellamaking but it is better than the Bad Monkey IMO)

Anyway, it's definitely not good enough for its own devoted appreciation thread.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
i agree with incubusman - no appreciation thread is necessary for it. boss pedals are simply generic fx pedals, that just do the job they say they do and don't deliver anything more or anything less than they promise.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
^+1 MrCarrot

I can understand if there was an appreciation thread for the CE-1, CS-1 and 2, the GT multi-fx units, and the digital audio workstations boss produce...

but in all honestly: why is there an appreciation thread for their bottom-of-the-line overdrive?

in the same way as why was there a DS-1 thread a few months back - it just died, even though the DS-1 is ZOMG KURT COBAIN JOHN FRUSCIANTE STEVE VAI DISTORTION LOLZ. (cobain and frusciante used the pre-OpAmp-cheapout models and steve vai uses it as a "not-so-clean"-boost)
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I love my SD-1, but I've only played a few other overdrives, and none of them were botique, or top of the range overdrives. For the price, it's good. It does the job for me (In which case now it is merely to boost the OD-1 on my DSL).
For a cheap OD, it's great. It's used by tons of artists, has great tone.

In all fairness, it does NOT sound as good as some top of the line models, such as the OCD or Maxon units.

But its got great bang-for-buck factor
I guess leading off what I said before, if anybody is looking for a good quality cheap overdrive, then this is useful. Really, in terms of tube amps, it is only good for boosting, because you can get an equally as good overdrive from your amp. It is alright on SS amps too, but if you're really wanting an overdrive pedal to use as your main overdrive (instead of the amps OD/Distortion), then you should really look at higher-end pedals such as a Tubescreamer, or Maxon, etc.
i really like how my sd-1 drives and adds dirt to my valve junior
Agile Septor 6 - flame blue: Tonezone/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG350 in black
Douglas Strat copy w/ flame red and licensed floyd: JB bridge/ProTrack neck

Bugera 333 2x12 combo jj tubes
Epiphone Valve Junior head--modified

Boss SD-1
mines ok modded

sounds good at higher volumes
Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
I boost my solid state 30 watt practice amp with one. Works great. I now use it over my Boss OD-3.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Blompcube
^+1 MrCarrot

I can understand if there was an appreciation thread for the CE-1, CS-1 and 2, the GT multi-fx units, and the digital audio workstations boss produce...

but in all honestly: why is there an appreciation thread for their bottom-of-the-line overdrive?

in the same way as why was there a DS-1 thread a few months back - it just died, even though the DS-1 is ZOMG KURT COBAIN JOHN FRUSCIANTE STEVE VAI DISTORTION LOLZ. (cobain and frusciante used the pre-OpAmp-cheapout models and steve vai uses it as a "not-so-clean"-boost)

With a few tweeks its pretty spiffy. I pulled a couple needless resistors that unnecessarily filter the sound. Changes some caps to smooth it out, and swapped the diodes for LEDs to add fatter boost, and more output. It is a great platform to become a killer pedal. Honestly its sort of a hidden gem in the Boss lineup if you know what to do. It certainly contrasts nicely with my super smooth sounding OD that I built, so that I can have something a little grittier
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge