Page 1 of 2
So does anyone know why guitars and amps in America are about half the price that they are in Australia? i know Australia has to import them and stuff but thats no excuse for a thousand dollar price hike. do they just do it because they can? Because it seriously ****s me!
if importing is that much, how come i can buy a amp on ebay and ship it over for about 100 -150 bucks... just all seems really stupid
It has little to do with transport. Guitars from Asian factories also cost about twice as much as they do in America, even though Australia is closer to those factories than America is.
Dude... you live on an island.
You should be happy that you don't have to swim to get one.
Quote by Colgate Total
Actually yeah, it is.

Importing that shit isn't free.

Yea, it costs $1000 to import a guitar from America to Australia. Idiot.
consider the fuel cost and the package and handling. That's gotta be done properly or someones gonna be angry over it. It's not like they just slap the guitar and amp in a box, put a few fragile stickers on it and just put it on an aircraft to fly over. They have to account for it moving and being damaged.
Quote by Namikaze
consider the fuel cost and the package and handling. That's gotta be done properly or someones gonna be angry over it. It's not like they just slap the guitar and amp in a box, put a few fragile stickers on it and just put it on an aircraft to fly over. They have to account for it moving and being damaged.

yep yep, and not to mention they probably have to buy their items in bulk, like every other company.
Quote by AVA_Plus44_182
Yea, it costs $1000 to import a guitar from America to Australia. Idiot.

No, but it is upwards of $100. With the money spent buying the guitar and shipping, plus the mark up, it's not a surprise if it is $1000.

Idiot.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Namikaze

Yea, and they do it by bulk, which means sending 10-20 items over in each shipment, so say they make a total of $15,000 in price increases when they sell them. I deal with international freight as part of my job, and things like insurance and accountability are taken into account with shipping costs, but the overall amount payed to ship one whole container is nothing like $15,000, and you could easily fit 10-20 of those items in one container, with room to spare.

It's the same reason prices for other things are so high: TO MAKE PROFIT. Unfortunately, because we live in the great human society that worships the dollar, around half of what you pay for shipment is for profit, if not more. To ship a guitar from USA to Australia individually doesn't cost $1000, even when done on a business level, and when done by bulk (which it is), it costs even less.
Quote by Vikingx

o_O what the hell? Next you're going to be telling us that we are lucky to have clothes and a house to live in...
Quote by Ravenwoods
o_O what the hell? Next you're going to be telling us that we are lucky to have clothes and a house to live in...

OK, be happy that you don't have -40 C winters.
sup?
Quote by Vikingx

everyone lives on an island. just some are way bigger than others.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
lol i hate this as much as anyone what i hate more IS THE STRING PRICES HERE PLAYING BOTH BASS AND GUITAR IS MAKING ME ****ING BROKE..........nuff said hehehehehe
I am me. Live with it.
Macaroni, that's exactly what I forgot to say.

Quote by ldl67
OK, be happy that you don't have -40 C winters.

Ok, be happy you don't have +40 C winters and drought.

Want a bitch fest? Bring it. Us 'islanders' got mad skillzorz!

and LASTLY!

You know what's even worse? because we don't have a Gibson factory here, i can't get my SG-3 (Ebony) for anything less than 6-7 Grand. because it has to be made, then imported. ****ers.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Last edited by Auals at Jul 26, 2008,
Probably because in America there are alot more factories to actually make their guitars. Australia imports alot of our guitars from Asian countries like Korea and China.
It all really depends on the difference in currency, the governments trade policy with those countries and the costs. If the government places any trade barriers against those countries, the prices instantly rise due to increased price to import or a lower supply coming in.
On top of that, there is the cost of the fuel and workers to make sure the gear is imported and transferred to the shop safely.
On top of that, there is a fee that the store places on top of it to make a profit and to cover the running costs of the store. They also make sure that the gear is in good condition when it arrives.
All that can easily add up to an increase of $1000. You can buy the guitar from overseas and get it mailed to you yourself, but theres a much greater risk of the gear being damaged and late.

Quote by ldl67
Corporations only want money. They do it because they can.

Wrong. Corporations need money. If they simply sold it for the price it cost to buy it and bring it in, they would be selling at a loss. Business needs to pay workers, pay rent, pay the bills, pay tax, and make money to expand the business. If businesses didn't make a profit, then they simply fail and that business is no more.
The only situation when what you're saying is right is in a monopoly (the market is run by one single business) that are extorting the market.
Lets face it, if businesses didn't exist to make money, then we'd be still be living in the stone age.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
Probably because in America there are alot more factories to actually make their guitars. Australia imports alot of our guitars from Asian countries like Korea and China.
It all really depends on the difference in currency, the governments trade policy with those countries and the costs. If the government places any trade barriers against those countries, the prices instantly rise due to increased price to import or a lower supply coming in.
On top of that, there is the cost of the fuel and workers to make sure the gear is imported and transferred to the shop safely.
On top of that, there is a fee that the store places on top of it to make a profit and to cover the running costs of the store. They also make sure that the gear is in good condition when it arrives.
All that can easily add up to an increase of $1000. You can buy the guitar from overseas and get it mailed to you yourself, but theres a much greater risk of the gear being damaged and late.

Wrong. Corporations need money. If they simply sold it for the price it cost to buy it and bring it in, they would be selling at a loss. Business needs to pay workers, pay rent, pay the bills, pay tax, and make money to expand the business. If businesses didn't make a profit, then they simply fail and that business is no more.
The only situation when what you're saying is right is in a monopoly (the market is run by one single business) that are extorting the market.
Lets face it, if businesses didn't exist to make money, then we'd be still be living in the stone age.

this man is a speaker of the truth.......doesnt stop me hating string prices here
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
this man is a speaker of the truth.......doesnt stop me hating string prices here

26+ dollars for a pack of guitar strings has actually STOPPED me from buying this telecaster I want. I restring my guitars every few months, and it costs me over a 100 dollars everytime. 150+ if I restring my bass as well. Stupidity.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
Import taxes, goods taxes, and the lack of demand in australia generally...it all adds up really.

My friend and i actually figured out in some circumstances, it was cheapter to buy a return ticket from sydney to hong kong and buy a guitar or amp there. Even to Hawaii during non-peak periods but i don't know how much shipping is from the US to its territories so i can't be sure about that.
Quote by Auals
26+ dollars for a pack of guitar strings has actually STOPPED me from buying this telecaster I want. I restring my guitars every few months, and it costs me over a 100 dollars everytime. 150+ if I restring my bass as well. Stupidity.

I don't restring my guitars that often. Every 6 months, whenever I need to do a repair or if I don't like the current strings. If you want really cheap strings you need to wait for the right time. A few weeks ago at my local music store they were selling 3 packs of string for $20. Not the best strings, but still, pretty good. They also sell individual strings for $2 each. And a few months ago Ernie Ball sold a huge range of strings on Ebay, I think I picked up 2 sets of 7-string sets for $25.
No point to this story except I get incredibly lucky when buying strings.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Quote by dann_blood
I don't restring my guitars that often. Every 6 months, whenever I need to do a repair or if I don't like the current strings. If you want really cheap strings you need to wait for the right time. A few weeks ago at my local music store they were selling 3 packs of string for $20. Not the best strings, but still, pretty good. They also sell individual strings for $2 each. And a few months ago Ernie Ball sold a huge range of strings on Ebay, I think I picked up 2 sets of 7-string sets for $25.

lol try being a bassist my 5 string costs me $75+ every restring
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP

I'd assume you use elixer strings? Then again, bass strings don't need to be restrung as often as guitars unless you play a hell of a lot.
Quote by Vornik
Quote by dann_blood

I live in a small country town, the music shop is privately owned and doesn't have "sales", it's "mate's rates" on guitars and that's about it. So I get D'addario (sp?) strings and that's it.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by DeAd-RiP

I play bass too. And seriously, I know how you feel. Bass was my first instrument (I played in the school band) and that was concerts every week or too, practice every week. I restrung my bass 2x in 5 years because I couldn't be stuffed buying strings.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
i think some of you are missing the point... i can buy a guitar from america and send it to australia via post... itll only cost a little more... if im able to do that it dosnt make sence that the prices are so inflated
Are you a corporation? Read what the other peeps have said dude.
Quote by evil_armada
i think some of you are missing the point... i can buy a guitar from america and send it to australia via post... itll only cost a little more... if im able to do that it dosnt make sence that the prices are so inflated

you'll get assraped on customs
ahhh ok i get it but i dont agree with it at all... we still have to pay so much more based on where our country is situated. im never buying from a music store in Australia again, im only ebaying. no longer shall i pay more
Well that's stupid. You pay more where your country is situated as a RULE. I'm sure there are Africans going, "we have to pay THAT much for food? **** that, i'm going to buy my wheat off Ebay now"

Grow up and don't be a bitch.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by Auals
Macaroni, that's exactly what I forgot to say.

Ok, be happy you don't have +40 C winters and drought.

Want a bitch fest? Bring it. Us 'islanders' got mad skillzorz!

and LASTLY!

You know what's even worse? because we don't have a Gibson factory here, i can't get my SG-3 (Ebony) for anything less than 6-7 Grand. because it has to be made, then imported. ****ers.

get Ormsby to make you one

check out his work in the building and customizing forum its awesome.
Quote by dann_blood
I'd assume you use elixer strings? Then again, bass strings don't need to be restrung as often as guitars unless you play a hell of a lot.

i play a hell of a lot being self taught and teaching 8 year olds bass as well as starting a technical death metal band means i NEED too
I am me. Live with it.
Quote by DeAd-RiP
i play a hell of a lot being self taught and teaching 8 year olds bass as well as starting a technical death metal band means i NEED too

HEY! I teach as well :O Whoa.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Importing them costs alot. That's why Australian made Maton guitars are alot cheaper. You can pick up a top of the line Maton for about $1700 - $2000, but if you bought Gibson or Taylor, you're looking about twice that at least.

I also believe there's a tax, Australia taxes everything. Can someone verify?
Quote by fretsonfire74
Importing them costs alot. That's why Australian made Maton guitars are alot cheaper. You can pick up a top of the line Maton for about $1700 - $2000, but if you bought Gibson or Taylor, you're looking about twice that at least.

Yes, we tax a **** load.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by evil_armada

Did you not read my post?

Quote by fretsonfire74

Businesses are taxed a minimum of 30% gross profit. Theres a federal tax on imports, and a state tax on shipping.

Quote by DeAd-RiP

How often do you change strings?
Quote by Vornik
It has absolutely nothing to do with importation costs, taxes or corporate greed.
Ever since you Aussies unleashed AC/DC upon an unsuspecting world we conspired to prevent it from ever happening again.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Page 1 of 2