Page 1 of 2
Help me out people, while i`m waiting for my local guitar shop to get a delivery of gibson sg fadeds in (which is going to cost £499.00) i`ve been looking at epiphone les pauls as an alternative and the epiphone costs £479.00 is the gibson sg a poor version or is the epi les paul high spec ? talk about confused i really want to hang on for the sg but i`m tempted by the epi les paul
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Don't get a Faded Gibson. I've heard quality control on them is all over the place.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by RadioActiv3
Why do you want a Gibson or Epiphone?

lol ummm let's see. because he likes their style/sound and knows them to be reputable brands. what a stupid question.
i know that the EPIPHONE faded sg is good...n its like $300
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Quote by tona_107
lol ummm let's see. because he likes their style/sound and knows them to be reputable brands. what a stupid question.

WTH man, Gibson is most of the time way too overpriced, and Epiphone sucks (the cheap Les Pauls). @ Topicstarter : If you want to buy a Epiphone Les Paul, check the LP's from the 90's...
I'd personally go for the epiphone, I don't paticularily find gibsons worth the money and les paul epiphones are very nice for the money.
What I want in my rig (Bold = gear I have):
Ibanez SZ-520QM
Vintage VECJ100BK
Epiphone Dot
Laney VC15
Boss GE7
Boss SD1
Zoom G2
I'd say skip the Gibson, whatever you buy instead. The low-end Gibsons are terrible.

Tip: if it says Gibson on the headstock and costs less than £900, it sucks. Simple as that.

As for the Epi, well there's a HUGE difference between an Epi LP and a Gibson SG. SGs already have a lighter tone than LPs - even moreso with the Epi LP which has an extra thick finish that gives an even deeper tone than the Gibson LPs. The difference between an Epi LP and a Gibson SG is so massive, they can't be compared. You'll have to play both to see which you prefer (though from a sheer quality point of view, the Epiphone is going to be higher quality but probably set up worse which is easy to fix, the Gibson will most likely come better set up, but the basic quality will be lower, at best the same if you're very lucky). I would suggest you think about an Epiphone SG instead. The G-400 is the same quality as the Epiphone Les Pauls, but will sound and play much closer to that Gibson SG. It's also about half the price of the Epi LP (SGs are inherently cheaper than LPs just because of the supply/demand). You could get the G-400, upgrade the pickups, change the nut, have it properly set up and buy a nice case for it, for the same price as the Epi LP or the Gibson SG.

Quote by RadioActiv3
WTH man, Gibson is most of the time way too overpriced, and Epiphone sucks (the cheap Les Pauls). @ Topicstarter : If you want to buy a Epiphone Les Paul, check the LP's from the 90's...
Actually an earlier Epi LP is exactly what you don't want. They're made of multi-ply Alder with crapper hardware and electronics. The new Epi LPs are solid Mahogany with better electronics, Grover tuners, and a Tone-O-Matic and Stopbar bridge combination which is actually better than the ones used on Standard Gibsons, bizarrely.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'd say skip the Gibson, whatever you buy instead. The low-end Gibsons are terrible.

Tip: if it says Gibson on the headstock and costs less than £900, it sucks. Simple as that.

As for the Epi, well there's a HUGE difference between an Epi LP and a Gibson SG. SGs already have a lighter tone than LPs - even moreso with the Epi LP which has an extra thick finish that gives an even deeper tone than the Gibson LPs. The difference between an Epi LP and a Gibson SG is so massive, they can't be compared. You'll have to play both to see which you prefer (though from a sheer quality point of view, the Epiphone is going to be higher quality but probably set up worse which is easy to fix, the Gibson will most likely come better set up, but the basic quality will be lower, at best the same if you're very lucky). I would suggest you think about an Epiphone SG instead. The G-400 is the same quality as the Epiphone Les Pauls, but will sound and play much closer to that Gibson SG. It's also about half the price of the Epi LP (SGs are inherently cheaper than LPs just because of the supply/demand). You could get the G-400, upgrade the pickups, change the nut, have it properly set up and buy a nice case for it, for the same price as the Epi LP or the Gibson SG.

Actually an earlier Epi LP is exactly what you don't want. They're made of multi-ply Alder with crapper hardware and electronics. The new Epi LPs are solid Mahogany with better electronics, Grover tuners, and a Tone-O-Matic and Stopbar bridge combination which is actually better than the ones used on Standard Gibsons, bizarrely.

Thicker finishes warrant a 'deeper' tone? I don't know where you get your facts from. And your beginning statement of saying sub £900 Gibson guitars are horrendous is more than annoying to say the least.
Tonally Gibsons are better sounding than Epiphone simply because of better hardware/pickups and the thin nitrocellulose finishes that allow the natural tone to really dominate. As with any mass guitar manufacturing companies, quality issues will always be a concern, but really you no longer can expect pristine quality control from Gibson anyway - contrary to beliefs Gibson never were the benchmark in quality from the start, such as the legendary '59 burst - it was ridiculed with sore spots.
The reason Gibson guitars in my opinion are the benchmark in guitar manufacturing is their originality in sound and that tonal girth that simply any other guitars cannot emulate, especially the Les Paul.

And also common sense applies in every case of buying a new guitar - try before you buy. You have no one but yourself to blame if you blindly bag a guitar home and the thing ends up being a wreck.
i think (personly) that epiphones are better because unless ur very serious dont b other spending all that extra cash on that spend on a good amp accerises and other stuff theres a massive price gap in the 1000's and theyre pretty much the same except a bit lower quality
Quote by Hemani Co
Thicker finishes warrant a 'deeper' tone? I don't know where you get your facts from. And your beginning statement of saying sub £900 Gibson guitars are horrendous is more than annoying to say the least.
Tonally Gibsons are better sounding than Epiphone simply because of better hardware/pickups and the thin nitrocellulose finishes that allow the natural tone to really dominate.
This reads exactly like somebody who has no idea what they're talking about. The thicker poly-based finishes on most guitars resonates to the lower frequencies more, as well as 'dulling' the brightness of the natural tone. Hence, a deeper, thicker sound. The thinner nitro-based finishes used on Gibsons and some higher end Fenders lets the higher frequencies resonate better in the wood and lets the natural tone of the wood come through, providing a brighter tone.

This isn't some disputable optinion, That's fact, plain and simple.

And it may annoy you, but it doesn't stop it from being correct. There is not one single Gibson under £900 that's actually worth buying. The closest any come is the SG Goddess, but that still had several major flaws (why you would want an even slimmer SG, I have no idea) and is discontinued now anyway.

You smack of someone who bought an LP Studio and is now trying to justify their purchase to themselves by denying the simple fact that those low-end Gibsons suck. Middle and high-end Gibsons? Hell yes. Low-end Gibsons? **** off.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by RadioActiv3

Yeah, but he's talking about one that costs almost $1000 USD, so it's obviously not a low end one. High end Epiphones are generally considered to be better than low end Gibsons.
Saint Louis Blues
well i was in the esact same debate actually! i wanted the Epi LP so bad i was barely able to take the wait. and i had the money so that made it harder. but then i found a gibson sg faded for $485 total.... so i got it, since if i didnt like it i could sell it for the same price or more and not be out any money. but when i played it i was so impressed! this thing sounds amazing (and im one of those guys that really didnt think better pickups and what not would actually make a difference) i played the Epi LP and it sounded great too, but the Gibson faded sg just kicks ass. and it feels awesome. Dont compare a gibson faded to an epi g400 either, cause that was on my list of debate as well and i tried the g400 and hated the way it felt.

anyway, my suggestion would be to hold off till the fadeds get in, its not like the Epi LPs are going anywhere anyway and you owe to yourself to try the gibsons out to make sure you get the guitar that will make you happiest in the long run.
Quote by The Picker
Yeah, but he's talking about one that costs almost $1000 USD, so it's obviously not a low end one. High end Epiphones are generally considered to be better than low end Gibsons.

$1000 is a low end Gibson. Get a prs singlecut for about $500, they are much better than epiphones.
edwards/MIJ tokai/burny/greco/epiphone japan

you know it makes sense.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by lmihay
$1000 is a low end Gibson. Get a prs singlecut for about $500, they are much better than epiphones.

I meant $1000 Epiphones.
Saint Louis Blues
for some reason gibson uses lower output pickups on the faded sg than it does on the standard and it sounds like pure **** plain and simple, but on the faded Vs they use authentic gibson 500ts which sound great, i cant explain gibsons actions (no one can) but yea a good epi LP >>>> faded SG
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
I've played a Gibson SG faded, then my Epi LP standard, and honestly, the Epi played better, had lower action, a nicer finish, and felt just plain better than the Gibson. Gibson quality? I've heard some real horror stories about this. A luthier said he watched a tour of the gibson factory and saw a worker banging in the frets like the fretboard was drywall.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The main concern i`ve always had was as a novice player would i be able to tell the difference between gibson and epiphone and i suppose deep down i know the answer is probably not and as with so many things the lower end of certain ranges be it guitar , tools etc won`t be as good as high end of other ranges ;obviously there will be exceptions but i`ve now got the epi les paul custom i`ll play it until i can tell the difference
yes all six strings buzz !! but it`s unique isn`t it
Quote by MrFlibble
This reads exactly like somebody who has no idea what they're talking about. The thicker poly-based finishes on most guitars resonates to the lower frequencies more, as well as 'dulling' the brightness of the natural tone. Hence, a deeper, thicker sound. The thinner nitro-based finishes used on Gibsons and some higher end Fenders lets the higher frequencies resonate better in the wood and lets the natural tone of the wood come through, providing a brighter tone.

This isn't some disputable optinion, That's fact, plain and simple.

And it may annoy you, but it doesn't stop it from being correct. There is not one single Gibson under £900 that's actually worth buying. The closest any come is the SG Goddess, but that still had several major flaws (why you would want an even slimmer SG, I have no idea) and is discontinued now anyway.

You smack of someone who bought an LP Studio and is now trying to justify their purchase to themselves by denying the simple fact that those low-end Gibsons suck. Middle and high-end Gibsons? Hell yes. Low-end Gibsons? **** off.

Mr. Flibble FTW.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
Quote by RadioActiv3

Epiphone LPs from the 90s...? Have you actually even played them?

The Epiphone LPs produced today are made of higher quality wood (real mahogany now as opposed to the mahogany/alder mishmash), made with better quality hardware, and have better quality control.

EDIT: Typo.
Fender Standard Stratocaster
BC Rich Mockingbird Supreme (USA Custom Shop)
BC Rich NJ Neck-Thru Series Mockingbird
Epiphone Elite Les Paul Standard

Laney TT50-112
Peavey Classic 30
Epiphone Valve Junior
Roland Microcube
I would chose my Elitist any day over Gibson of the same price range.
Epiphones PWN!! and on a side note, something to think about....

Buying a guitar based on the pickups, is like buying a Car based on the rims.
Quote by whiteraven119
Play them all and pick whichever sounds and plays the best, no matter the brand.

yea it dosnt matter wheather its a dean gibson or harly ( a not very known guitar make) if it feels right and sounds good buy it (if you can afford it lol )
Quote by piecies_81
I would chose my Elitist any day over Gibson of the same price range.
Epiphones PWN!! and on a side note, something to think about....

Buying a guitar based on the pickups, is like buying a Car based on the rims.

Gotta agree with you on that

Btw i think he may have already bought that epi lp custom so stop this thread
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Whatever you don't get an epi les paul built before 2005.... Some of them have solid alder bodies... Real ****.... According to Gibson, 2006+ epi les pauls use mahogany... I owned a 2000 epi les paul custom that weighed 6.5 lbs... it was solid alder
A buddy of mine has a gibson sg faded and loves the thing, i also enjoy playing it, the tone is great and its just fun to play. But i myself am a player of a les paul and i cant put that thing down, its also very fun to play has a great tone, and is very versatile. Now for the bad stuff, faded SG quality control is all over the place, and eventually your hands will get to be too big to play the higher frets. The les paul is HEAVY, but is a great should workout.
Quote by Raijouta
Don't get a Faded Gibson. I've heard quality control on them is all over the place.

True, but it's worth finding a good one, I have an amazing one from 2005 and it's an awesome guitar.
Rawr! I'm a dinosaur
<---wants to know where the "gibson-quality-control-is-all-over-the-place"rumor started??------

cuz the only place i have heard about it is on ug...(usually by epi owners tryting to justify there guitars)

not try to start anything!!...just saying...

if someone has some links to reputable sources saying as such i would like to see them,...everytime i try anything out...i always reach for a gibson sg (since thats what i play)..and it usually is a faded,...besides bridge/saddle height i have never noticed anything at all wrong with them...and in all honesty i have played at least a dozen of them.......

i read an ad in guitar player magazine when the fadeds first came out...and the gibson dude said the only difference between the faded's and standard versions was the paint and binding process......he mentioned that the binding process(the white line around the edge) adds the most cost to the guitar.

so dont let the facts get in the way of some good hatin!!!

xoxoxo
Quote by RadioActiv3

Exactly. Overpriced, not worth the cash. I feel it's because they know that they're renown. They think they can make their guitars worth their weight in gold, when many people don't prefer them.

I'm a proud owner of an Epiphone SG. Les Pauls, only played one, but it was the clearest sound I've heard from a guitar in my 6 years of playing.
Quote by Skirvy
To be honest, the Gibson Sg Faded is pretty ****ty, and I love Gibsons.

BULL ****!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have the Faded and i can tell the only difference between this and the standard SG cosmetic things like the inlays and the little diamond in the headstock and uncovered pups, every thing that actually contributes to tone is the exact same.

Before u say a guitar sucks actually play and compare the guitars jackass
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by jessexxx
<---wants to know where the "gibson-quality-control-is-all-over-the-place"rumor started??------

cuz the only place i have heard about it is on ug...(usually by epi owners tryting to justify there guitars)

not try to start anything!!...just saying...

if someone has some links to reputable sources saying as such i would like to see them,...everytime i try anything out...i always reach for a gibson sg (since thats what i play)..and it usually is a faded,...besides bridge/saddle height i have never noticed anything at all wrong with them...and in all honesty i have played at least a dozen of them.......

i read an ad in guitar player magazine when the fadeds first came out...and the gibson dude said the only difference between the faded's and standard versions was the paint and binding process......he mentioned that the binding process(the white line around the edge) adds the most cost to the guitar.

so dont let the facts get in the way of some good hatin!!!

xoxoxo

i tried a gibson bfg and its frets were ridiculously badly finished, and i also tried a les paul classic antique, which, although an otherwise nice guitar, had a very dry fingerboard- that's not good enough on a £1200 guitar if you ask me.

i'm with you in that i don't agree with the blanket hating, but i have tried some nice gibsons, and some not so nice. that would indicate QC which is kinda "all over the place".
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2