Just so you know, this isn't something I lose any sleep over, but I'm online and I'm bored, so I figured I'd start a thread to see how others feel.

So... am I the only person who doesn't like it when people play acoustic guitar and only play power chords? I just hate the way it sounds when they're over-used on acoustic.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Punk-Goes-Acoustic-Various-Artists/dp/B000127ZE6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1217059002&sr=1-1
A LOT of songs on that disc do that.

I usually hear it from people who mostly play electric guitar. I guess, since I'm primarily an acoustic player, I hate it when people treat the acoustic and the electric guitar as the same instrument. What are your thoughts?
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by DuhSpesoBoyz
They are the same instrument. And that is a punk CD, of course its all powerchords.

They're different beasts.

And I know it's a punk CD. I'm just saying... I don't like it, that's all.
Banging on a trash can
I kind of know what you mean. To me it doesn't sound bad but playing open chords on an acoustic sounds so much better. I do play songs with powerchords in them on acoustic but I do prefer open chords and finger picking. It's just such a richer sound.
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

it depends what sort of sound your going for
sometimes ill break out some power chords for heavier parts of songs, it gives it more dynamic
but i agree that they are overused
Quote by Ed Hunter
Kick your brother in his penis adorned head.
But you can't play punk without powerchords. Fact is, you're not a punk if you know a chord that's more than 3 notes.
i hate it when my penis get caught in the zip..... oh wait this isnt one of those threads.....

anyway........ yeah i hate it when people treat acoustic and electric to similar, they have different playing styles, and am annoyed when i hear people trying to shred on acoustic, it sounds terrible...
you gonna get raped!!!!!!!

Quote by Zorro.AJ
i hate it when my penis get caught in the zip..... oh wait this isnt one of those threads.....

no, it's cool. I hate it when my penis gets caught in my zipper, too.
Banging on a trash can
Yeah it sounds dirty. Open E or open A position chords sound really nice on acoustic. Just play the power chord and leave the rest of the strings open rather than muting/not playing them.
Power chords are the guitar equivalent of a caps lock key; Cruise control for awesome!
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
its actually easier to play open chords on an acoustic so i usualy shoot for them but power chords give ya more range, sundowner and mike park use allllot of power chords and both sound sweet as hell.
each to there own i guess.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by BigFatSandwich

You and I should talk

Yes, I hate it, but I do it. Play BMajor without playing an extended powerchord (as a beginner)

Most of the people who play don't know much about guitars, creating chords themselves is impossible to their minds, they just guess. Not all of us are theory toting genii.
Need Singing Advice?; Read the first page then ask questions.

Quote by punkman_123
Damn Auals, you're messed up. :P

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
i think you are thinking about it too much
just as long as you are happy doing what your doing
and acoustic chord players are happy playing chords
then life is perfect.
but i do have to say i love bands like the deftones who completely change the guitar parts of a song when they do acoustic versions.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

*looks at user title*
*looks at avatar*
What?!
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
Quote by Heid
I kind of know what you mean. To me it doesn't sound bad but playing open chords on an acoustic sounds so much better. I do play songs with powerchords in them on acoustic but I do prefer open chords and finger picking. It's just such a richer sound.

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by Anvil pants
i think you are thinking about it too much
just as long as you are happy doing what your doing
and acoustic chord players are happy playing chords
then life is perfect.
but i do have to say i love bands like the deftones who completely change the guitar parts of a song when they do acoustic versions.

There's an importance to that change, a creativity.

I also like bands like Say Anything who write everything acoustic and then arrange it for 4/5 electrics. It's brilliant.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
This just reminded me of the time that my brother in law texted his mom on the night after his wedding. All it said was "Consummated."
i hate it when a whole song in general consists of nothing but power chords.

no matter the instrument.
*Enter Sig Here*
i do know exactly what you mean ts and i have to agree that it sounds hilarious. when ****ty metal bands try to do acoustic versions of their songs and all it sounds like is generic powerchords being repeatedly played without a semblance of cleanliness.
Quote by SuperRitsu
*looks at user title*
*looks at avatar*
What?!

hahahahaha look at my profile and blog
Banging on a trash can
Quote by BigFatSandwich
Just so you know, this isn't something I lose any sleep over, but I'm online and I'm bored, so I figured I'd start a thread to see how others feel.

So... am I the only person who doesn't like it when people play acoustic guitar and only play power chords? I just hate the way it sounds when they're over-used on acoustic.

i have a similar kind of feeling; when people play about 3 chords on the guitar and sing corny teen breakup songs and then everyone is like "Wow, you are so good on guitar and at singing!!"

i cant sing as well as some of these people, but what they play on guitar (power chords etc) is pretty basic stuff, and it nags me when people compliment their guitar "skills".
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

and to think i tried to impress you because i thought you had boobs.

but seriously.

you're a little too good at pretending to be a girl. and how would your mother feel knowing that her son regularly pretends to have a vagine on the internet.
The other day, upon finding out that I could play guitar, asked me if I could play acoustic guitar.

I agree that how you should approach each is completely different. In fact, how you approach writing on an instrument should be majorly influenced by how it sounds. But still, that was one silly girl.
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Dw I picked it up straight away, I detect a penorZZ.

On another note, it frustrates me no end when people use powerchord in bad taste, you may as well play the electric. I don't use powerchords that much, mainly because all my songs start on acoustic, but if I do use power chords, I'll use them like this:

e---5----10--------
b---3----10--10---
g---2-----7---7----
d---0-----x---10--
a---0-----8---0---
D---0-----0---0---

So by adding extra notes to them, or a subtle extra third, fourth or seventh, you are creating something so muhc more powerful. six string powerchords FTW
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by BigFatSandwich

Ahh you tricked me into gaining profile views for you.
And a very good one at that.
Very believable.
>.>
Yes I am from Hawaii.

It's not really a great place to live..
..but fun if you're a tourist!
FoTB Duration: June 12, 2008 - July 12, 2008
It's good to be back guys.
You fell for that?

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Quote by Auals
You fell for that?

Haha I tried to make it obvious enough that if/when people fell for it, they'd facepalm themselves multiple times. I think I succeeded.
Banging on a trash can
I didn't, I'm quite proud of myself.

Quote by punkman_123

Quote by ZanasCross
Most bands simply have no understanding of music and how to tastefully apply it. 'unplugged gigs' and albums are some of the mod idiotic things in the last 20 years.
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
I personally think that any cover that is done, acoustic or otherwise, should change something about the song. I don't want to hear the exact same song played by someone else. I don't want to hear you play your own song on an acoustic guitar as opposed to electric.